Author Topic: Shrimping  (Read 10305 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Shrimping
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 01:15:14 PM »
I would still want to have at least a dory.

You could probably haul firewood on a motorcycle, too  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
If you need more capacity, you could tow a small raft.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 01:21:02 PM »
Sport limit is 80 spot shrimp per day per person.  No nets.  Pots must be minimum 1" on ceter spacing for the mesh.  Ones I got  are 24" square, 9" tall.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
I would still want to have at least a dory.

You could probably haul firewood on a motorcycle, too  :lol:

I know a guy that carries hay on a motorcycle. I've seen him with 2 bales on the back.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
I know a guy that carries hay on a motorcycle. I've seen him with 2 bales on the back.

At 50-70 pounds per bale, that is about the weight of one girlfriend  :lol:

I assume that it wasn't two ~1200# round bales  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 03:50:57 PM »
Not that hard, really.  Let's say when I get to the bouy they're on the port side.  Pick up the bouys and toss them over the starboard side.  As the line comes up keep feeding it over the starboard side and just let it trail out.  After the pot is up and emptied start bringing the line back in, coiling as you go.  Store in or on top of the pot.

Shrimping ain't easy, but it's necessary...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »
I trawl a 40 ft commercial net down here in SC. Commercial captains license. Unlimited keep amount

What engine you got in the trawler?
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 04:43:58 PM »
I assume that it wasn't two ~1200# round bales  :O

Did you know those are illegal in NY now?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 05:10:02 PM »
Did you know those are illegal in NY now?

I thought they were legal as long as you only filled them with 700 lbs of hay?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 06:08:02 PM »
You do know that you can buy shrimp at grocery stores right?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 06:50:30 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 06:54:16 PM »
About the time you're thinking it's going well. a pod of submerged orcas cruise past under your kayak and one of them snags your pot line.
Yes, a friend taking video would be good.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 07:04:21 PM »
I read a story once about that happening between a tethered diver and a baby manta ray. ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »
What engine you got in the trawler?

350 Chevy running through a Merc sterndrive. 24' converted pleasure boat. That superstructure holds a homemade winch powered by a big ol B-17 starter motor.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:34:29 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 07:26:59 PM »
cordless drill with a roller/capstan?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »
About the time you're thinking it's going well. a pod of submerged orcas cruise past under your kayak and one of them snags your pot line.
Yes, a friend taking video would be good.

A Nantucket sleigh ride in Puget Sound!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
350 Chevy running through a Merc sterndrive. 24' converted pleasure boat. That superstructure holds a homemade winch powered by a big ol B-17 starter motor.

I was hoping it was big enough to run one of my marine engines. 24' is just a little too small.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
I was hoping it was big enough to run one of my marine engines. 24' is just a little too small.

We're shooting for bigger! Dad wants a 50 footer with diesel powe. We could handle something like a Yanmar 4 cyl diesel in our current size boat but I dont know about mating to the sterndrive or actually finding one for a reasonable cost...

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »
I thought they were legal as long as you only filled them with 700 lbs of hay?

No, it's because the cows weren't getting a square meal.  =D

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 10:51:09 AM »
No, it's because the cows weren't getting a square meal.  =D

http://instantrimshot.com/index.php?sound=rimshot&play=true

I'm going to use that logic next time somebody asks us why we don't buy round bales instead of small squares  :lol:

The real reason is that the small square bales are much easier to store and feed for just 2 or 3 horses.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2013, 02:30:40 PM »
We're shooting for bigger! Dad wants a 50 footer with diesel power. We could handle something like a Yanmar 4 cyl diesel in our current size boat but I dont know about mating to the sterndrive or actually finding one for a reasonable cost...

Yeah, my engines are more typically used in 90-175ft fishing. Bottom of the range is ~1200hp, largest version is ~3400hp each. I don't think the top range, larger engines are used in fishing. I think those engines are mostly used in tugs, crew, and passenger boats.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
Yeah, my engines are more typically used in 90-175ft fishing. Bottom of the range is ~1200hp, largest version is ~3400hp each. I don't think the top range, larger engines are used in fishing. I think those engines are mostly used in tugs, crew, and passenger boats.

Definitely a little too much motor for a kayak  ;)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »
So are we talking about real shrimp, or is "shrimping" some kind of preverted sexual euphemism?  (I probably don't really wanna know)
"It's good, though..."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
...or is "shrimping" some kind of preverted sexual euphemism?  (I probably don't really wanna know)

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be (NSFW).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2013, 06:32:08 PM »

What brand?