Author Topic: Migration From CA, NY, and IL  (Read 1363 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Migration From CA, NY, and IL
« on: January 10, 2020, 09:39:09 AM »
While it's a Bloomberg article, the data look fairly sound.

Some stats on where people who leave CA, NY, and IL go, also figuring in average income of those moving to each new state.

An interesting tidbit was that while NY overall is bleeding residents, NYC is growing them. We pretty much know what that means regarding voting trends and the urban/rural schism.

Also, I've got news for them: A LOT more people are coming to CA from other countries than their numbers show.  I think that's a given. Even 2 million out of 40 million is significant, and considering it's likely that the "uncounted" from other countries are probably using services, vs paying for them as the departing residents did, it bodes further ill for that state.

Lots of other interesting conjectures can be made, like the number of people going to the top four states in each section of the report.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-01-09/where-people-leaving-new-york-california-and-illinois-are-going
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Migration From CA, NY, and IL
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 10:43:23 AM »
Lifelong Illinois resident here. Retirees are leaving for Florida and other south pleasant winter weather destinations. Younger wage earners are leaving for better job markets and stable pensions. (Illinois pensions are unfunded Ponzi schemes). Many of us are counting the days until we too can flee this rusting sinking rat infested barge of a state.
But it's actually worse than it looks...
Wage earners and tax payers are leaving and being partially replaced by increasing numbers non wage earning parasites. The demographic is trending downward. Our local school district now has an almost 80% poverty rate because the families with good jobs or oportunities are among the outflow. Every new tax, tax increase, or fee they can think of is being forced upon us still here. Property values are falling in many areas.
I was in an education forum with some state politicians and a Chicago area dem was aging how hard they were working and what big challenges they were facing. I raised my hand and stood and asked her, what their plan was to turn it around. Her reply? "Pray for us."
MY response, "that's fine but shouldn't your first plan be something besides devine intervention?"
What we have here is failure to communicate.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 10:50:36 AM »
Lifelong Illinois resident here. Retirees are leaving for Florida and other south pleasant winter weather destinations. Younger wage earners are leaving for better job markets and stable pensions. (Illinois pensions are unfunded Ponzi schemes). Many of us are counting the days until we too can flee this rusting sinking rat infested barge of a state.
Wage earners and tax payers are leaving and being partially replaced by increasing numbers non wage earning parasites. The demographic is trending downward. Our local school district now has an almost 80% poverty rate because the families with good jobs or oportunities are among the outflow. Every new tax, tax increase, or fee they can think of is being forced upon us still here. Property values are falling in many areas.
I was in an education forum with some state politicians and a Chicago area dem was aging how hard they were working and what big challenges they were facing. I raised my hand and stood and asked her, what their plan was to turn it around. Her reply? "Pray for us."
MY response, "that's fine but shouldn't your first plan be something besides devine intervention?"

I've been working very hard to convince me family to leave the state. My grandmother just passed away, so that's one of the things that was holding them back.

It's sad, I'd LOVE to live back in downstate Illinois- but not with the issues the state is having. Of note, we could tell just by the feel of the road that we had entered Illinois when we returned for my grandmother's funeral.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 11:08:18 AM »
I have no family left here. I'm about 4-5 years from retirement (I hope!) my wife could retire any time. Our property value is disappointing and probably falling but I can't relocate until I retire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 11:19:33 AM »

Wage earners and tax payers are leaving and being partially replaced by increasing numbers non wage earning parasites. The demographic is trending downward.

I'm thinking that's the case for most of the "big blue states".   I recall, probably a decade ago, when CA was actually tightening some of its handouts (since reversed I'd imagine), one of the looters was interviewed and said he was leaving the state (CA, mind you) because they were taking away his money. He said he was moving to another state who would give him his stuff. I can't remember which one, but it was unexpected to me, so not a really liberal state.

These lemming looters migrate to wherever they get the most free stuff (with some weather dependency worked in), which of course pushes many taxpayers out of those places.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 11:35:14 AM »

These lemming looters migrate to wherever they get the most free stuff (with some weather dependency worked in), which of course pushes many taxpayers out of those places.

I think what happens, is that a moderate state or right leaning state occasionally get a democrat governor. When that happens, they try to stack the welfare system to attract electorially favorable demographics. It happened in my state for decades, where the state was offering higher welfare benifits than Chicago. Conversely, places like Chicago were probably cutting their benefits just enough to make it attractive for demographics to migrate.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:40:56 AM »

I think what happens, is that a moderate state or right leaning state occasionally get a democrat governor. When that happens, they try to stack the welfare system to attract electorially favorable demographics. It happened in my state for decades, where the state was offering higher welfare benifits than Chicago. Conversely, places like Chicago were probably cutting their benefits just enough to make it attractive for demographics to migrate.

How many people on Uncle Sugar's money wagon actually vote? I also think large landlords want them too, guaranteed rent check from Uncle Sugar for their shitbox properties, states/communites want them because shitbox properties pay taxes.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
How many people on Uncle Sugar's money wagon actually vote? I also think large landlords want them too, guaranteed rent check from Uncle Sugar for their shitbox properties, states/communites want them because shitbox properties pay taxes.
Oh they all vote now. The community organizers see to that!
They are offered absentee ballots or transportation, often by the bus load, and provided with cards in a language they understand with helpful instructions on just how to vote and who to vote for. (Hint.Trump's name will not appear on their card)

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 12:59:03 PM »
I also think large landlords want them too

Slumlords don't hold much power though, they are lower mid-tier in the ghetto feudal system. Though sometimes they get big enough to claw their way up to alderman or state rep.

Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 01:00:28 PM »
I also think large landlords want them too, guaranteed rent check from Uncle Sugar for their shitbox properties,

If you're referring to Section 8, no, that is not popular with landlords.  Dealing with the bureaucracy to get the government share of the rent is a pain, and Section 8 renters as a group tend to be poor tenants (trashing the house/apartment, delinquent in their share of the rent, criminal activity in the unit, etc.).
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 01:53:10 PM »
. . .

If you were referring to the Almighty, it would be Divine intervention. (Spelling nazi correction!!!!)

But given that it was in the Chicago area (I grew up in Chicago), maybe you were closer to their plan than you knew.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 01:54:14 PM »
If you're referring to Section 8, no, that is not popular with landlords.  Dealing with the bureaucracy to get the government share of the rent is a pain, and Section 8 renters as a group tend to be poor tenants (trashing the house/apartment, delinquent in their share of the rent, criminal activity in the unit, etc.).

They seem to love the Section 8 here, they really are shitbox properties.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 02:13:23 PM »

Yes, slumlording is practically an industry in of itself in some zip codes. There are scams where a rental or group of rentals is owned under a LLC. When the city/bank forecloses on the properties for non-payment of taxes/mortgages, another LLC (owned by the same entities) will buy the properties back in auctions.

Barack Obama

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »

Not so much on the Left Coast.  Housing is tight, and even shitbox properties can be rented for more than what the landlord would get via Section 8.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2020, 02:54:09 PM »
I've been working very hard to convince me family to leave the state. My grandmother just passed away, so that's one of the things that was holding them back.

It's sad, I'd LOVE to live back in downstate Illinois- but not with the issues the state is having. Of note, we could tell just by the feel of the road that we had entered Illinois when we returned for my grandmother's funeral.

he is not kidding, folks.   As soon as you cross that border, the difference is visible and obvious.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 04:25:13 PM »
With the tremendous influx of people into the Seattle area and the tight job market, Section 8 is at a premium in this area.  As pointed out above, the private landlords and realty companies make much much more renting out at market rates.  There is still some Section 8 being built by charitable and social agencies, but not so much the private market.

PS: I just walked down the hall and asked one of the medical social workers: typically a two year wait for Section 8 housing in this area, unless some emergency circumstances apply.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 04:37:24 PM »
PS: I just walked down the hall and asked one of the medical social workers: typically a two year wait for Section 8 housing in this area, unless some emergency circumstances apply.

Interesting.  I wonder if that ups the quality of section 8 tenant? I tried it a few times when I had rentals. One older lady was an absolute peach. The others ranged from subpar to disaster. The young, childless couple that both could have been looking for work were the worst, and why  I said, "no more".

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
Again, from what I hear from the medical social worker, there is such a shortage of Section 8 housing, that if you don't shape up, you will be shipped out, and someone better given the rental.  Especially with the supportive Section 8 housing (medical, psychiatric, domestic violence or substance issues), a lot of them have staff on site to case manage the residents.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 11:11:30 PM »
If you were referring to the Almighty, it would be Divine intervention. (Spelling nazi correction!!!!)

But given that it was in the Chicago area (I grew up in Chicago), maybe you were closer to their plan than you knew.

Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!
"It's good, though..."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 10:34:29 AM »

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »
This migration is one of the many things that is slowly causing the destruction of the Republic.  Leftards spreading their Leftardism.
However, there is no good and proper way to stop it that doesn't itself contribute to the eventual end of the Republic.
We're pretty well skrewed.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 06:25:12 PM »
I'm in one of only a few counties in Illinois that gained population.

Hopefully that means property values will hold and that there will be a bit of a market for my house when I sell this spring.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 06:27:05 AM »
Overall I can’t stand the out of staters moving here to SC. A few of them are OK and aren’t interested in bringing their home state’s idiocy with them...I don’t mind those. Unfortunately a lot of them (now that they are comfortable here) are starting to make the noise of “we ought to...” that is the start of the commie *expletive deleted*it they just left.

And god forbid you live in an HOA because they have no problem weaponizing it against you. And speaking of housing good luck buying a house when the moving in stampede brings $500k cash with them and snatches houses within a few hours of one going on market. They can afford to buy any house and have it remodeled to their specs. If you are like me and have to go through the normal inspection/offer process forget about it.

It also makes driving a pain in the ass not only because of the heavy increase in traffic but because all the different driving styles from different areas are incompatible.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2020, 10:36:04 AM »
Overall I can’t stand the out of staters moving here to SC. A few of them are OK and aren’t interested in bringing their home state’s idiocy with them...I don’t mind those. Unfortunately a lot of them (now that they are comfortable here) are starting to make the noise of “we ought to...” that is the start of the commie *expletive deleted*it they just left.

And god forbid you live in an HOA because they have no problem weaponizing it against you. And speaking of housing good luck buying a house when the moving in stampede brings $500k cash with them and snatches houses within a few hours of one going on market. They can afford to buy any house and have it remodeled to their specs. If you are like me and have to go through the normal inspection/offer process forget about it.

It also makes driving a pain in the ass not only because of the heavy increase in traffic but because all the different driving styles from different areas are incompatible.

Diversity is our strength, lol
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.