Author Topic: Rudely Displaying a Firearm  (Read 20114 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Rudely Displaying a Firearm
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »
Story of a Texas dad hiking with his son and arrested for "rudely displaying a firearm". The story indicates the guy is a military blogger, and the amount of video available for the incident makes it look to me like maybe he was pushing boundaries and contributed to the incident. Some of the arguments the officers use in the videos however, are worth noting.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/war-veteran-arrested-for-rudely-displaying-rifle.html
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Rudely Displaying a Firearm
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
If he did nothing wrong then the Police and .gov should be taken to court and held accountable. Having said that, it looks like this guy is not someone we should hold up as a role model.

In the gun community we need better role models and guardians than Ted the pedophile Nugent and scammers like this guy.

From the comment section:

Michael Yon
Grisham is a well known scammer and professional victim.

He was sent home from Afghanistan after seeing zero combat. He completed only about half his tour at Kandahar Airfield where he spent his time blogging and complaining about mental health issues, saying his hand was shaking from rocket strikes. The man is a coward. I and many other people were also there but not whining about the rocket strikes.

For years now, Grisham has brought unfavorable attention to himself and to the Army.

In Alabama, a schoolboard nearly had a restraining order against Grisham. He also scammed that time by setting up a legal defence fun that he absconded with.

This weekend, he reached his $11,000 goal for a legal defense and immediately announced on his Facebook that his wife and daughter were free to go on a shopping spree. When this backfired, he said his Facebook had been hacked. When that backfired, he blamed the hacking on his own wife.

Grisham was caught red handed in Stolen Valor. He got a bronze star in Iraq which he said was from taking out an entire Iraqi squad with only a hand grenade and a 9mm. This has been proven false. We got hold of his bronze star, which he refused to print, and it was for admin. No mention of any Iraqi squad.

Grisham is a scammer, and is the last person we want guarding our 2nd Amendment rights.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 11:59:46 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »
I love the comments regarding Yon being a "government plant."

Jesus, the internet is stupid.

Anyways, Although the MSG may be a shithead like Yon describes, it doesn't excuse the actions of the police in the video, at least, from what is shown. There may be more to the story, so I'll reserve judgment.

To me, it looks like one doosh met another group of dooshes and had a doooooosh-off
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
Guilty! He was clearly AWC. Armed While Civilian.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 10:37:28 AM »
“In this day and age people are alarmed when they see someone with what you have,” one of the officers told a handcuffed Grisham. “They don’t care what the law is.”

That about sums it up.

Apparently the deputies don't care what the law is, either.

And they wonder why folks lose respect for "law enforcement" (which has apparently become opinion enforcement now).

Texas is sure a wonderful place, ain't it?  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 01:24:09 PM »
If he did nothing wrong then the Police and .gov should be taken to court and held accountable. Having said that, it looks like this guy is not someone we should hold up as a role model.

In the gun community we need better role models and guardians than Ted the pedophile Nugent and scammers like this guy.

From the comment section:

I'm not sure I'd put much stock into Yon's claims. Some AD .mil folks I speak with who actually know SGT Grisham in real life paint a much different picture. Apparently Yon has something of a feud going with Grisham.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
Ted the pedophile Nugent? What now?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »
The kid should press charges for false arrest.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »
First of all, what is Texas law on carriage of handguns and longguns openly?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 01:58:53 PM »

That's a good question.  Open carry of a handgun is illegal, with some exceptions, like while hunting or on your own property.  I *think* open carry of long guns is still legal, but it's been 20 years since I lived there and it may have changed.

I wonder if the "rude" part (I can't believe that's a legal term) was because he had it slung in front rather than behind?
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
That's a good question.  Open carry of a handgun is illegal, with some exceptions, like while hunting or on your own property.  I *think* open carry of long guns is still legal, but it's been 20 years since I lived there and it may have changed.

I wonder if the "rude" part (I can't believe that's a legal term) was because he had it slung in front rather than behind?

Is that one of those over the shoulder things that allows the gun to go up  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:46 PM »

State Constitution    Article I, Section 23

Every citizen shall have the right to keep and bear arms in the lawful defense of himself or the State; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
(8 ) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

That's all of it.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Rudely Displaying a Firearm
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
Lotta of ambiguity in those statutes. Did the guy really run a prior defense fund scam or the other things yon claims? Some should be verifiable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
Re: Re: Rudely Displaying a Firearm
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 04:08:04 PM »
Lotta of ambiguity in those statutes. Did the guy really run a prior defense fund scam or the other things yon claims? Some should be verifiable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

PM sent.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 02:15:14 AM »
Quote from: C.J. Grisham
My attorney has gotten word that the prosecutors are asking for a gag order because of all the media attention surrounding this case. So, we have already released the full video to the media before a gag order can be initiated. And, I'm releasing it here for your viewing.

http://vimeo.com/62032686

Circa 2:20

Police Sergeant: "He has the right to disarm you-"

SSGT Grisham: "-no! He has no right to disarm me if I'm not breaking the law!"

Police Sergeant: "Yes he does..."

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 01:42:13 PM »
oh man... I hope this goes far and wide....  

I'm not against police....  But the mantras of "officer safety" and "resisting arrest" have gone way too damn far....  

I'm sure the officers won't actually be punished, but I'm hoping some judge watches this and does the legal equivalent of a slap upside the head and calls them idiots...

The mere carrying of a firearm should not be a reason for an officer to feel "thretened"...  And I agree, if he does, then he's a sorry excuse for an officer.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 01:46:17 PM »
From C&SD's link:

An initial resisting arrest charge was reduced to interfering with a public official Monday.

Yup...  It was a BS charge, they know it was a BS charge, and now they're trying to backpedal.  Asserting one's rights to know why they are being detained and why they are being arrested is in no way "interfering with a public official".

Freakin' A this pisses me off

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »
Oh, and now I'm *really* freakin' pissed.....

From the link in the OP:

“I told him not to answer any questions,” Grisham said. “I told him not to answer a single question until his mother was there — and she would answer the questions for him.”
But that’s not what happened.
Chris told Fox News that the police officer refused to let him out of the car until he answered a series of questions. The boy had not been arrested.
“The officer told me that I wasn’t getting out of the patrol car until I answered his questions,” Chris said. “He said I didn’t have a choice. I was scared.”

Oh, I hope that family sues the hell out of that Police Department.   Personally, I would sue to force the officer to *personally* apologize to this kid for violating his constitutional rights.   I know that can't and won't happen.  But in a just world.....

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »
I know it'll never happen, but wouldn't it be sweet justice for the officers involved to themselves be arrested under 18USC242.  Again, just more wishful dreaming...

• friends

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
Oh, and now I'm *really* freakin' pissed.....

From the link in the OP:

Oh, I hope that family sues the hell out of that Police Department.   Personally, I would sue to force the officer to *personally* apologize to this kid for violating his constitutional rights.   I know that can't and won't happen.  But in a just world.....

Tar & feathers are too good for the POS.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2013, 03:23:58 PM »
CPL Chris Wilcox said, "Officers are people too. They have families, they want to go home and see those families. It would be very difficult for an officer to determine immediately who's a threat and who's not a threat when there's a gun involved, especially a high powered weapon, like an assault rifle."

Citizens are people too. They have families, they want to go home and see those families. It would be very difficult for a citizen to determine immediately when a police officer is a threat and when a police officer is not a threat when there's a gun involved, especially a high powered weapon, like an assault rifle.

:P

I have to say that I have happily chatted with my local sheriff while I was open carrying and he never even batted an eye.  =)

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2013, 04:22:15 PM »
From C&SD's link:

Yup...  It was a BS charge, they know it was a BS charge, and now they're trying to backpedal.  Asserting one's rights to know why they are being detained and why they are being arrested is in no way "interfering with a public official".

Freakin' A this pisses me off

Yes, it's become the current state of affairs where even if not being arrested, asserting one's 1A, 4A, or 5A rights is now easily construed as "interfering with blah blah blah"

And you know what, you can thank MADD for it.  It was DUI stuff that really started the erosion of 4A and 5A--both in search and in compelling evidence against yourself. 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
Yes, it's become the current state of affairs where even if not being arrested, asserting one's 1A, 4A, or 5A rights is now easily construed as "interfering with blah blah blah"

And you know what, you can thank MADD for it.  It was DUI stuff that really started the erosion of 4A and 5A--both in search and in compelling evidence against yourself. 

But if it saves one life...

...for the children...

...common sense*...

* Just thought of a comeback for that. "If you have to declare something is common sense when proposing it, then it probably isn't."