Author Topic: What the...  (Read 9331 times)

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: What the...
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:37 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it, has anyone played System Shock 2? It reminds me of either the annelid eggs or the internal organs you'd have to research...  =(
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

PTK

• friends
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 08:56:57 PM »
Hah! It does, at that.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 10:00:09 AM »
If that thing was running against Pelosi I think I'd have to vote for it.

I think that is a capital idea. We need to run it for office.
It has more cohesion than most anything else in the republican party right now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 11:11:15 AM »
Well, sure not going to finish breakfast now.

On a different note, is napalm legal for civilians?  =D
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »
Some things I've noticed about fakes is:
Always out of focus
Never shows the subject
Is very brief
Poorly CG'd when shown
Bad acting
Something ridiculous happens (IE Tentacles fly out and it eats a dog or something)
And probably many more things.
But I can't fit a single one to this video.

PTK:  You seen em before?  Tell us more yo.
More thoughts:  I watched this while playing some of the Resident Evil sound track and I am convinced this is the work of Umbrella.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:34:15 AM by Mabs »
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2009, 11:35:43 AM »
Well, sure not going to finish breakfast now.

On a different note, is napalm legal for civilians?  =D
Who cares? Mix gasoline and styrofoam. They never need to know ;).
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »
PTK:  You seen em before?  Tell us more yo.
More thoughts:  I watched this while playing some of the Resident Evil sound track and I am convinced this is the work of Umbrella.

I've seen the big gelatinous blobs of Byrozoans here in WI lakes. I just never knew they were animals. I just assumed it was a big blob of bacteria/algae of some kind.

Of course, they were sessile, and didn't move. Although if I'd known to pull out a magnifying glass, I might have seen the flagellae or the filtering tentacles or whatnot moving in and out.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2009, 01:00:58 PM »
I've seen the big gelatinous blobs of Byrozoans here in WI lakes. I just never knew they were animals. I just assumed it was a big blob of bacteria/algae of some kind.

Of course, they were sessile, and didn't move. Although if I'd known to pull out a magnifying glass, I might have seen the flagellae or the filtering tentacles or whatnot moving in and out.

I've never seen byrozoans that look like THAT thing in the video, nor any that moved that quickly in an organized fashion. 

Isn't this what USAMRIID, CDC, CBIRF, NG WMD-CST, et al are designed for?  Dealing with hostile, possibly alien or supernatural, unknown organisms?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2009, 02:11:00 PM »

All Hail our Amoebic Underlords!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2009, 02:53:27 PM »
and we have an possible ID:

The latest viral video is from the sewer under Cameron Village in Raleigh, NC.  The mysterious creatures found are nothing short of disgusting and spectacular.  This video has made its way to Video Sift and various cryptozoology sites.  Speculations on the nature of this creature run from bryozoans, cnidarians, slime molds, and some mysterious alien creature here to suck out our brains. Well let me say first that it is none of the above. I can think of no freshwater Cnidarian that looks anything like this.  It lacks the characteristic delineations that would indicate individual zooids in the colony and frankly the retracting of finger-like tentacles doesn’t seem like a bryozan characteristic (see the pictures at this site). In fact, I have poked a lot of invertebrates as lab instructor for invertebrate zoology and as a graduate student just for shits and giggles and none of the mentioned candidates would respond like this. So back to square one…

You shouldn’t trust me however…you should trust an expert in one of the aforementioned groups.  Enter stage right Dr. Timothy S. Wood who is an expert on freshwater bryozoa and an officer with the International Bryozoology Association.  I sent along the video and this was his reponse…
Thanks for the video – I had not see it before. No, these are not bryozoans!  They are clumps of annelid worms, almost certainly tubificids (Naididae, probably genus Tubifex). Normally these occur in soil and sediment, especially at the bottom and edges of polluted streams. In the photo they have apparently entered a pipeline somehow, and in the absence of soil they are coiling around each other. The contractions you see are the result of a single worm contracting and then stimulating all the others to do the same almost simultaneously, so it looks like a single big muscle contracting. Interesting video.

http://deepseanews.com/2009/06/creatures-from-the-sewer/

I have a proposal in at Natty Geo to send an ROV shopvac down the line for a positive ID
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »
Well, since we have a probable identification, I will change my position to:

Oh wait, that's the same position. Never mind.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Rudy Kohn

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2009, 04:24:12 PM »
They are clumps of annelid worms
Clumps of annelids?  So they are those egg things from System Shock 2!
Either that, or a psychomagnotheric slime flow of immense proportions is building beneath the city.  They need to check their art museum.  I concur with recommendations to burn.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »
System Shock 2.  I need to play that one again.  Was still mostly a kid first time and was still able to appreciate it greatly.

Another thing:  If you're going to pick a place for a viral video, why a village in Raleigh?  No one pics NC for anything.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 01:30:09 AM »
Either that, or a psychomagnotheric slime flow of immense proportions is building beneath the city.  They need to check their art museum.

Recent picture from NC of a kid in his backyard:

Last seen sleeping with a toaster:

=D =D =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

bmitchell

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 10:54:24 AM »
I first thought the barnacles from HL2 but upon watching the whole video, definitely the annelids from System Shock 2.
That's pretty much the creepiest thing I've seen all day.

Ben

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 10:56:41 AM »
I take it you haven't seen a vid of Nancy Pelosi, or Barbara Boxer, or Diane Fienstein?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2009, 10:58:28 AM »
I take it you haven't seen a vid of Nancy Pelosi, or Barbara Boxer, or Diane Fienstein?

Not today, I haven't.

And I'll watch the worm video a dozen more times before I'll watch them.

It's only sends shivers down my spine, not raises my bile.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought