Author Topic: My town and building permits  (Read 9057 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
My town and building permits
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:16:38 AM »
Missoula just passed an ordnance requiring a building permit and inspection of low voltage wiring installs in multifamily, commercial, and industrial buildings.

This means we have to go through a permitting process for all of our data cabling, voice cabling, tv cabling, and etc.

I thought we were going to have this beat but it passed last night. 

This is a BIG deal for my business, every time we string some CAT5 across a suspended ceiling to light up a new jack it requires this whole rigamorole.  A 30 minute job is going to turn into a couple of hours due to the paperwork and inspection.

We had asked that if they are set on doing this, only require a permit/inspection if the wiring breaches a firewall or goes through duct work as those need some resealing or plenum wire.  But, for all wiring is a huge pain in the rear.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: My town and building permits
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:05:50 PM »
San Missoula ...?

Missoulafornia  ???

:mad:

Heck, where I live we don't even know what a building permit is  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »
Want to hire my brother? he's getting near his 99 weeks and he says he don't want to do nothing but run cable. Thought I'd throw that in there.

Think of it this way. Hopefully it'll put the fly by nighters that steal your jobs with lowball bids back a bit. Just raise prices accordingly. what elkse can you do?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 01:02:50 PM »
Most people will just ignore it and do the work anyway.

Again, this is why the folks in the Planing and Zoning Departments will be some of the first up against the wall when the revolution begins.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »
Get an attorney, if you have one in the opposition, to submit for an injunction under the auspices of unreasonable burden. If it's granted then you can force the council  to amend it to something more reasonable.

First question is, though, who got their panties in wad enough to require permiting for friggin data cabling?  It's not like it's a health or safety hazard.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 01:35:57 PM »
It's covered in the National Electric Code, and if it's done wrong it can be dangerous -- such as installers punching holes through fire walls, etc. The general rule is, if it's in the code, it needs a permit. I am amazed that there was any place in the U.S. that DIDN'T require a permit to install low-voltage cable.

Why is it so burdensome to take out a permit? If you have a facility that changes that stuff on a routine basis, I'm pretty sure the code makes provision for an annual license to cover all routine changes without requiring separate permits.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
Missoula just passed an ordnance . . .
Sounds like the city dumped a bomb . . . much worse than passing an ordinance, which is merely a law.

;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 03:22:25 PM »
Sounds like the city just figured out a new revenue source.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
Sounds like the city just figured out a new revenue source.

We have a winner!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 06:33:45 PM »
We have a winner!

That's a common misconception. I suppose it varies by state 9and county) -- what doesn't? Around here (the entire state), the building inspection departments don't generate as much revenue as they cost to run, so it isn't like they're cash cows or anything.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:04 AM »
Such ordinances are often referred to as "incumbent protection".

Now, you have to hire a licensed electrician (or power-limited licensee) to install the wiring, I s'pose, as the permit will probably require a contractor's or electrician's license number on it.

The unions and license boards (as well as the "old boys") love this kind of requirement and lobby hard for it.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »
Gol durn right we do. If we spend the time and money it takes to become a legitimate qualified installer of some thing or another we'd like to preclude those that just wing it and low ball everybody on pricing because they don't spend money on things like insurance and workman's comp.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
Now, you have to hire a licensed electrician (or power-limited licensee) to install the wiring, I s'pose, as the permit will probably require a contractor's or electrician's license number on it.

Yes, and with good reason.

Every state (AFAIK) allows homeowners to do their own electrical and their own plumbing. Permits are still required, but no need to hire a licensed professional.

"No need," that is, unless you take a look at what some people think is perfectly satisfactory electrical or plumbing work. I've seen things that would make your hair stand on end. Stuff that's absolutely, positively dangerous, and the dweebs not only don't have a clue, they also get upset when it's suggested they might want to do it right if they expect the inspector to sign off and allow them to use the installation.

It shows the truth in the saying that "Ignorance can be corrected by education; stupid is forever."
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:20:44 AM by Hawkmoon »

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 09:02:52 AM »
Ah. The incumbants have spoken.

I rest my case.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 09:26:10 AM »
No, the people that take the time and money to learn how to do it right and be all legitimate have spoken.  ;)

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 09:51:48 AM »
NEC Article 90-13 Commercial Low Voltage
1. The Commercial Low Voltage Permit will apply to commercial, industrial, and muti-family complexes with three or more units.
2. Commercial low voltage installations that are associated with a project that has a building permit will not require a commercial low voltage permit.
3. Installation of new cable in an existing pathway will not require a permit as long as the existing pathways are in compliance with the codes.
4. Cable installations that do not penetrate fire walls, floors, or ceilings. or installed above ceiling grid systems will not require a permit. Installations within ceiling grid systems will require a Low Voltage Permit.
5. The City Building Department will provide a limited checklist with code references to assist inspectors and installers.
6. The first six months after the adoption of the ordinance, there will be a flat fee of $64 per commercial low voltage permit.
7. Commercial low voltage permit fees are based on the project cost which is the total cost of all labor and materials to complete the low voltage project. Electrical materials furnished by the owner must be included in the total low voltage project costs. Devices are not to be included in the total cost in determining the low voltage fee.
8. The commercial low voltage permit, once issued, shall become invalid unless the work on the site authorized by such permit is commenced within 180 days after its issuance, or if the work authorized on the site by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the work has commenced. The building official is authorized to grant in writing, one or more extensions of time, for a period not more than 180 days each. The extension shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause demonstrated.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 10:30:25 AM »
A permit for low voltage is sheer jackassery.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
Ah. The incumbants have spoken.

I rest my case.

On what? I'm a licensed architect and a licensed building inspector. I've been in the profession for more than thirty years. It's difficult enough to get licensed electricians to do the work to code sometimes. Any time you get unlicensed people involved, it can be impossible. I know this to be fact ... I see it in the field on a regular basis. And I also know first-hand that it costs more to run the departement of building inspection in most municipalities than they take in in permit fees, so the argument that these laws are just to make money goes out the window.

What is the factual basis for your contention that inspections aren't necessary?

Here's an example: satellite television systems. A couple of years ago I changed from cable to satellite. I prewired my house and ran the antenna wires to the point on the exterior where the dish would be mounted, because I didn't want to see a bunch of spaghetti strung around the outside of the house.

So the first thing the installers wanted to do was string a bunch of spaghetti around the outside of the house, to bring a wire back to the electric meter downlead. They claimed it was "required" for grounding. I threw them off the property. The next day my boss and I called NFPA and talked to the man who wrote the "National Electric Code Handbook." He confirmed that satellite dish installations are covered by the code, so the installers should have taken out a permit (they never do). And he confirmed that, while grounding is required, the way the installers proposed to do it was NOT in compliance with the code. First, the length of wire would have been too long. Second, it would have included several 90-degree bends -- not allowed. Third, the point to which they proposed attaching the ground wire isn't even grounded on my house.

I went back and installed a compliant grounding system, then I called the company again and they sent a different crew. The second team actually knew their stuff, and they recognized immediately that the grounding system was done right. They were happy campers because it made their installation super easy -- it took them half the time they had figured and were able to go home early for the weekend. The first crew were subcontractors, who barely spoke English and who drove an unmarked pickup truck. The second crew arrived wearing company uniforms, in company vans.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2011, 11:02:19 AM »
its a money maker when they raise your tax assessment
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »
its a money maker when they raise your tax assessment

They raise your taxes for running low-voltage communication cables?

You should move to a free state.

Aside from which, building inspectors don't raise taxes. There's another department that does that.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »
NEC Article 90-13 Commercial Low Voltage
1. The Commercial Low Voltage Permit will apply to commercial, industrial, and muti-family complexes with three or more units.
2. Commercial low voltage installations that are associated with a project that has a building permit will not require a commercial low voltage permit.
3. Installation of new cable in an existing pathway will not require a permit as long as the existing pathways are in compliance with the codes.
4. Cable installations that do not penetrate fire walls, floors, or ceilings. or installed above ceiling grid systems will not require a permit. Installations within ceiling grid systems will require a Low Voltage Permit.
5. The City Building Department will provide a limited checklist with code references to assist inspectors and installers.
6. The first six months after the adoption of the ordinance, there will be a flat fee of $64 per commercial low voltage permit.
7. Commercial low voltage permit fees are based on the project cost which is the total cost of all labor and materials to complete the low voltage project. Electrical materials furnished by the owner must be included in the total low voltage project costs. Devices are not to be included in the total cost in determining the low voltage fee.
8. The commercial low voltage permit, once issued, shall become invalid unless the work on the site authorized by such permit is commenced within 180 days after its issuance, or if the work authorized on the site by such permit is suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days after the work has commenced. The building official is authorized to grant in writing, one or more extensions of time, for a period not more than 180 days each. The extension shall be requested in writing and justifiable cause demonstrated.

What is the difference between "within" and "above" in #4

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »
We were just discussing that in the office.  We are a bit confused as well.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »
"above" the ceiling is on roof deck or on the floor above.

"within" the ceiling is between the paint on your ceiling and below the roof deck or subfloor above.
7-11 was a part time job.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2011, 05:10:53 PM »
So you have to have a permit to run a phone or data wire above a hanging ceiling  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 05:19:02 PM »
"above" the ceiling is on roof deck or on the floor above.

"within" the ceiling is between the paint on your ceiling and below the roof deck or subfloor above.
How does that relate to ceiling grid systems (which, based on the text, seem to be the standard suspended ceiling systems).  It seems to me that if that is in fact the case, would "within" be in the tile itself?

I thought the whole point of suspended ceiling grids was to enable the use of non plenum or in-wall cable, allow easy distribution of services and wiring, without structural or code-required complexities.