Author Topic: So, what are we reading?  (Read 7418 times)

doczinn

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2006, 09:06:13 PM »
Does he mention Davis Bend?
Not yet. What's that?
D. R. ZINN

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2006, 12:14:18 AM »
When the war was over one of the concessions was that Jefferson Davis, and many others IIRC, had to give his plantation (Davis Bend) over to his former slaves. In a short time they turned it into a VERY profitable business. Once Lincoln was gone and the gov'ts after war attitude went from his temperance toward exploitation or punishment, if you will, Davis somehow got his plantation back and the former slaves lost it all. To me this is a fundamental example of why we have the situation we have here today in the US. The former slave population was comprised mostly of farmers. That's what they knew how to do. You could say that with the end of slavery they became jobless. This led to a mass exodus north to work in the factories. Within a few generations they lost their abilities to farm, which was their legacy, and became pretty much the lost and aimless society we see today. Somehow, I've always thought that if we would teach them about this aspect of their history early in life so that they KNOW where they've come from and realize they have a reason to take pride in who they are and where they came from it might help to ease the situation.

Just my $0.02 of course...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2006, 12:45:23 AM »
I've been looking for my source on that info and danged if I can't find it. I'm getting conflicting info on the net about it. Do a search on Davis Bend and you'll get an idea. The info I see there says there was a monetary exchange that fell through due to crop failure but I'm pretty sure I recall the book I can't find related the whole thing directly to the plantation being given to the slaves and then taken back later due to war agreements.

280plus

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2006, 01:05:43 AM »

doczinn

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2006, 06:14:19 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
You could say that with the end of slavery they became jobless. This led to a mass exodus north to work in the factories. Within a few generations they lost their abilities to farm, which was their legacy, and became pretty much the lost and aimless society we see today.
Washington gives an excellent account of how blacks were doing in the first three decades or so after slavery, and it doesn't support your analysis. Personally, I blame the welfare state, for reasons I can go into later this evening when I get back from work.
D. R. ZINN

280plus

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2006, 10:28:12 AM »
Okie dokie, It's been a while since I read all that so something may have been lost in the meantime. I'll have to get a copy of Washington's book and see what he has to say about it. Meanwhile I'll try to track down my copy of Stampp's book and see where I may have gone astray. I think I have a good idea where it went.

280plus

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2006, 10:58:34 AM »
I actually found a complete electronic copy of Washington's book online. Feel free to refer me to pages which support your argument. Especially this:
]Washington gives an excellent account of how blacks were doing in the first three decades or so after slavery
I'd be interested in reading this.

Meanwhile my copy of Stampp's book remains missing. Hmmmm...I may have to order another one.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2006, 12:45:11 PM »
I quit "Up From Slavery" when it seemed the whole book was about how helpful "the white people of _____________" were in everything Washington tried to do.  I also had to stop reading because I realized I was participating in Black History Month.  Neverrrrrrrrrr!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

stevelyn

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2006, 01:55:29 PM »
"A Pretext for War" by James Bamford.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

doczinn

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2006, 04:27:43 PM »
I actually found a complete electronic copy of Washington's book online.
I tried to post a link this morning, but I guess it didn't take.

Some of these are only tangentially related, I know. They don't really defend what I said, because all I'm drawing on is passages I'd underlined, which I found inspiring. Read the whole thing yourself, and then if you disagree with me we can discuss it that way. I promise it's a good read anyway.

Quote from: Booker T. Washington
No one can come into contact with the race for twenty years, as I have done in the heart of the South, without being convinced that the race is constantly making slow but sure progress materially, educationally, and morally.
During the time I was a student at Washington the city was crowded with coloured people, many of whom had recently come from the South. A large proportion of these people had been drawn to Washington because they felt that they could lead a life of ease there. Others had secured minor government positions, and still another large class was there in the hope of securing Federal positions. A number of coloured men -- some of them very strong and brilliant -- were in the House of Representatives at that time, and one, the Hon. B.K. Bruce, was in the Senate. All this tended to make Washington an attractive place for members of the coloured race. Then, too, they knew that at all times they could have the protection of the law in the District of Columbia. The public schools in Washington for coloured people were better then than they were elsewhere. I took great interest in studying the life of our people there closely at that time. I found that while among them there was a large element of substantial, worthy citizens, there was also a superficiality about the life of a large class that greatly alarmed me. I saw young coloured men who were not earning more than four dollars a week spend two dollars or more for a buggy on Sunday to ride up and down Pennsylvania Avenue in, [sic] in order that they might try to convince the world that they were worth thousands. I saw other young men who received seventy-five or one hundred dollars per month from the Government, who were in debt at the end of every month. I saw men who but a few months previous were members of Congress, then without employment and in poverty. Among a large class there seemed to be a dependence upon the Government for every conceivable thing. The members of this class had little ambition to create a position for themselves, but wanted the Federal officials to create one for them.
Tuskegee seemed an ideal place for the school...While the coloured people were ignorant, they had not, as a rule, degraded and weakened their bodies by vices such as are common to the lower class of people in the large cities. In general, I found the relations between the two races pleasant. For example, the largest, and I think at that time the only hardware store in the town was owned and operated jointly by a coloured man and a white man. This copartnership continued until the death of the white partner.
Our greatest danger is that in the great leap from slavery to freedom we may overlook the fact that the masses of us are to live by the productions of our hands, and fail to keep in mind that we shall prosper in proportion as we learn to dignify and glorify common labour and put brains and skill into the common occupations of life; shall prosper in proportion as we learn to draw the line between the superficial and the substantial, the ornamental gewgaws [sic] of life and the useful. No race can prosper till it learns that there is as much dignity in tilling a field as in writing a poem. It is at the bottom of life we must begin, and not at the top. Nor should we permit our grievances to overshadow our opportunities.
And that one actually supports your theory.

And to go completely off topic:
as I look back now over the entire period of our freedom, I cannot help feeling that it would have been wiser if some plan could have been put in operation which would have made the possession of a certain amount of education or property, or both, a test for the exercise of the franchise, and a way provided by which this test should be made to apply honestly and squarely to both the white and black races.
D. R. ZINN

Nick1911

• Administrator
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2006, 06:35:28 PM »
The english translation and meaning of AL-QUR'AN

280plus

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2006, 01:15:54 AM »
Thanks doc, I will

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2006, 01:31:59 AM »
By the same token I suggest you get ahold of Stampp's book and read it too. It's been so long I can't remember if what I said was HIS premise or one I derived from the reading. Ticks me off, I've got dang near every book I ever bought right in my little library but the one I REALLY want isn't there. Sad

spinr

So, what are we reading?
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2006, 01:56:02 AM »
For those that didn't see my post on THR or don't frequent there, I'll be starting this soon...

Cheesy

280plus

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2006, 02:03:57 AM »
That looks light pretty light reading... shocked

Cheesy

Here's a link to that Booker T. edition...

http://docsouth.unc.edu/washington/washing.html

280plus

• friend
So, what are we reading?
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2006, 02:56:56 AM »
BTW,,,LOL...

I'm only a few pages down the road and already the sheep shearers at the last outpost have broken into and drank all the camel's rum. Those BASTARDS!!

Cheesy