Author Topic: Dear Aviation Nerds:  (Read 5486 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Dear Aviation Nerds:
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »

You're welcome.

PS: Behind the F4U is a TBM.

http://www.texasflyinglegends.org/avenger-tbm-3e
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Dear Aviation Nerds:
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
Whistling Death.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:04:50 PM »
Slow as snot today.  Yesterday....F16's max climb to 14,000.  Ssspprrrooiinnngggg.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »
Careful, or you'll spend the afternoon babysitting a covey of Cubs doing touch-n-go's.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
Careful, or you'll spend the afternoon babysitting a covey of Cubs doing touch-n-go's.

Brad

AA5's.   :facepalm: 
JD

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
AA5's.   :facepalm: 

Muhahahahahahaha!!

All you need now is a couple of ultralights playing airspace restriction tag for your day to be complete.

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »
We got to see a TBM in Gunnison one time when the girls were little.  I think it was based in Grand Junction.

For something like $5 for a family you could climb up some steps to the wing and look into the cockpit.

Those things are BIG!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 05:20:04 PM »
Muhahahahahahaha!!

All you need now is a couple of ultralights playing airspace restriction tag for your day to be complete.

Brad

LMAO.

Our normally very professional local helo group caught my ire today when two of them insisted on using the same callsign.  After about the 4th call with them both on the same callsign of me trying to figure out who is who
"You can't both be November three-papa-hotel.  Now, who is who and get it right or we're going to have a problem!"
JD

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »
I'm thinking that the NASA 747 won't be needing those top pylons anymore.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »

NASA could ferry the 787s for Boeing.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2013, 06:50:45 PM »

The rumored plan is that they will be moving it to the JSC and placing the mock shuttle on top of it.  You know, since we didn't get a real *expletive deleted*ing shuttle in Houston.  I don't recall the Apollo astronauts saying "New York, we have a problem."  :facepalm:
JD

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 08:01:12 PM »
We got to see a TBM in Gunnison one time when the girls were little.  I think it was based in Grand Junction.

For something like $5 for a family you could climb up some steps to the wing and look into the cockpit.

Those things are BIG!

That particular TBM started out as part of the Arizona Wing of the CAF back in the '80s.  It was transferred to Grand Junction because the AZ wing didn't have the resources to both rebuild the TBM and keep Sentimental Journey going at the same time.
I have this hazy notion that the TBM might actually be a TBF, but don't remember for sure.  Too many years ago.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »
The rumored plan is that they will be moving it to the JSC and placing the mock shuttle on top of it.  You know, since we didn't get a real *expletive deleted* shuttle in Houston.  I don't recall the Apollo astronauts saying "New York, we have a problem."  :facepalm:

Dood dont you know that NYC is where everything of importance happened...everywhere else is nothing...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »
Today I'd swear I saw a P-39 in OD AAC colors buzz a small airport just west of Austin,TX . . . wish I'd had a camera handy, but I only got a few seconds' look at it between some trees.

Obama took the USA out of space.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Dear Aviation Nerds:
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2013, 08:24:13 PM »
Today I'd swear I saw a P-39 in OD AAC colors buzz a small airport just west of Austin,TX . . . wish I'd had a camera handy, but I only got a few seconds' look at it between some trees.
Obama took the USA out of space.  =(
I thought he had us going to the moon?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 08:38:44 PM »
Dood dont you know that NYC is where everything of importance happened...everywhere else is nothing...

My wife told me about a recent survey that said controllers with NY accents had the most trustable voice. I've flown into NY thousands of times. Their voices are irritated, not trusting.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2013, 08:41:15 PM »
That particular TBM started out as part of the Arizona Wing of the CAF back in the '80s.  It was transferred to Grand Junction because the AZ wing didn't have the resources to both rebuild the TBM and keep Sentimental Journey going at the same time.
I have this hazy notion that the TBM might actually be a TBF, but don't remember for sure.  Too many years ago.

Shiny!   :cool:  You actually have knowledge of the plane that we saw.   =)

I thought they said it was a TBM, but that air show was about 20 years ago  =|

There was also a man and woman from Utah there.  He flew an AT-6 I think and she flew a Chipmunk.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2013, 08:45:56 PM »
I love me some classic warbirds, but the F-15s of the 104th Fighter Wing were doing touch-and-goes on Friday during my M9 qualification at Barnes.  Sproing indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/104th_Fighter_Wing
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 08:58:09 PM »
I love me some classic warbirds, but the F-15s of the 104th Fighter Wing were doing touch-and-goes on Friday during my M9 qualification at Barnes.  Sproing indeed.

I just learned that there are 250+ F-15s still in service. They are replacing/augmenting the F-22 that aren't in service.  They are forecast to be in service until 2030.  :O

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 10:25:05 PM »
I love me some classic warbirds, but the F-15s of the 104th Fighter Wing were doing touch-and-goes on Friday during my M9 qualification at Barnes.  Sproing indeed.

Every time I visit my Mom in Great Falls I marvel how loud the F-15's are compared to the F-16s the Montana ANG used to have.  Of course, the F-15's are nothing noise wise compared to the F-106's I grew up listening to.  Those suckers were insane.  We would have to stop class in elementary school until they were done taking off.  We would get it from two directions...  the F-106's from the airport and the KC-135's from Malmstrom.

By far the coolest aviation related thing I ever saw was while qualifying with on the M-16 in basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood in 94.  Down range a few miles A-10's were doing live fire strafing runs.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:29:58 PM by 41magsnub »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 11:21:47 PM »
Fly320s, would you be surprised to learn that the B-52H will remain in service until 2045?   =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 12:19:42 AM »
Those are service careers to rival and surpass ships of the line.

Question:
Is there any Navy ship in service today as long as our oldest B-52s?

All our carriers are now nukes and we have retired some of them.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 01:01:21 AM »
By far the coolest aviation related thing I ever saw was while qualifying with on the M-16 in basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood in 94.  Down range a few miles A-10's were doing live fire strafing runs.

I've heard those cowboys getting their gun on with the GAU 8/A up at the Ethan Allen Firing Range in Jericho, VT.  It is a sound like Joshua's trumpets, appropriately enough. :D
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 06:12:57 AM »
Fly320s, would you be surprised to learn that the B-52H will remain in service until 2045?   =D

I had heard about that, but I had thought the F22 was replacing all of the F15s.

When was the first -52 brought into service?  1955ish?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2013, 08:57:42 AM »
All our carriers are now nukes and we have retired some of them.
The BIG Nimitz class carriers are nukes, but we have some smaller non-nuke carriers (e.g., Wasp-class) that are often overlooked because they've only carried helicopters and Harriers. The upcoming America-class will also have F35 capability.

They're termed "amphibious assault ships" but anything carrying aircraft with ~800 feet of flight deck and displacing over 40kt is a carrier in my book.  ;)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain