Author Topic: Dear Aviation Nerds:  (Read 5485 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Dear Aviation Nerds:
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2013, 09:09:17 AM »
The BIG Nimitz class carriers are nukes, but we have some smaller non-nuke carriers (e.g., Wasp-class) that are often overlooked because they've only carried helicopters and Harriers. The upcoming America-class will also have F35 capability.

They're termed "amphibious assault ships" but anything carrying aircraft with ~800 feet of flight deck and displacing over 40kt is a carrier in my book.  ;)

True, true, though I usually only consider boats that can launch and land planes with a conventional configuration as a real carrier.  All the VTOL planes are heavily compromised, performance-wise.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
Every time I visit my Mom in Great Falls I marvel how loud the F-15's are compared to the F-16s the Montana ANG used to have.  Of course, the F-15's are nothing noise wise compared to the F-106's I grew up listening to.  Those suckers were insane.  We would have to stop class in elementary school until they were done taking off.  We would get it from two directions...  the F-106's from the airport and the KC-135's from Malmstrom.

By far the coolest aviation related thing I ever saw was while qualifying with on the M-16 in basic training at Ft. Leonard Wood in 94.  Down range a few miles A-10's were doing live fire strafing runs.

Oregon still has F-15's in the ANG wing here in Portland.   Them sucker's are *loud* even when they're way the heck up there...   Didn't experience this one myself, but one day Dad was out driving, and just happened to be stopped at the end of the active runway outside the perimeter fence.   And he saw a pair of -15's at the far end of the runway.  Apparently they were in a hurry, because he said they came up maybe 50 feet off the ground until they passed the end of the runway, then decided to both go vertical on full afterburner.  Essentially right on top of Dad's car...  :)  He said it was the loudest thing he's ever heard...   And this is coming from someone who played with artillery pieces when he was in the military. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
One of the airports in my companies contract is getting alert F15's in the near future.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2013, 10:26:12 AM »
Fly320s, would you be surprised to learn that the B-52H will remain in service until 2045?   =D

And we should be working now on something to replace it.  We certainly cannot put all of our heavy bombing eggs in the B-2 and B-1 baskets.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
The Corsairs may be slow by today's standards but their sound is much cooler.  Most of the B52H models were built in 1961-2.  I worked on alot of them.  They were armed with the missiles I was a techie on....chris3

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2013, 05:04:42 PM »
We used to sit out behind the BOQ's in Baumholder and watch A-10's and fast movers come in a do strafing runs.  We could also watch tanks fire the various Tank Tables on Ranges 30-35.   :cool: :cool:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »
We used to sit out behind the BOQ's in Baumholder and watch A-10's and fast movers come in a do strafing runs.  We could also watch tanks fire the various Tank Tables on Ranges 30-35.   :cool: :cool:

Never worked much with A10's outside of the airport environment, but I have some practice calling in FAC with Harriers and AH1W's.  Nothing like being that close to some 500 pounders when they go off....rattles your teeth!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »
Shiny!   :cool:  You actually have knowledge of the plane that we saw.   =)

Yep, spent a fair amount of time crawling around inside that cool beast getting it ready for the ferry flight to GJ.  Was sorry to see it go.  I may have some pictures of it stashed away someplace, don't know for sure.
You should have seen the B25 that was parked next to it for awhile.  Chromate yellow and ugly.  She's beautifully restored and flying now.  A gorgeous girl.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2013, 11:25:55 PM »
Yep, spent a fair amount of time crawling around inside that cool beast getting it ready for the ferry flight to GJ.  Was sorry to see it go.  I may have some pictures of it stashed away someplace, don't know for sure.
You should have seen the B25 that was parked next to it for awhile.  Chromate yellow and ugly.  She's beautifully restored and flying now.  A gorgeous girl.

Must have been a while ago ...

I think we saw it in Colorado about 20 years ago.  Probably 1992 - 1996 sometime  =|

I should ask the twins if they still remember that.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 07:31:56 AM »
Must have been a while ago ...

I think we saw it in Colorado about 20 years ago.  Probably 1992 - 1996 sometime  =|

I should ask the twins if they still remember that.

Yup, I left the AZ Wing in early 1987, so it's been awhile.  I'm thinking we sent the TBM up GJ way in '85 or '86.  A long time ago in any event.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
I used to work in KBRO, home of one of the CAF wings.  They were more active during the winter months when snowbirds showed up  :rofl:
JD

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »
A little trivia for AmbulanceDriver:  Did you know the top turret and the Cheyenne tail turret on Sentimental Journey came from the B17 at the Milwaukie Bomber gas station?  The turrets now on Milwaukie bomber are fiberglass replicas.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »
JJ: In your OP you show a Corsair F4U and the link's for an Avenger; thought nobody would notice, huh? You part-time for a newspaper??? :laugh:
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
JJ: In your OP you show a Corsair F4U and the link's for an Avenger; thought nobody would notice, huh? You part-time for a newspaper??? :laugh:

Read the way I posted it.

PS: Behind the F4U is a TBM.

http://www.texasflyinglegends.org/avenger-tbm-3e

I wasn't sure everyone knew what an Avenger was.  And you can't really see it in the pic.
JD

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »
A little trivia for AmbulanceDriver:  Did you know the top turret and the Cheyenne tail turret on Sentimental Journey came from the B17 at the Milwaukie Bomber gas station?  The turrets now on Milwaukie bomber are fiberglass replicas.

I did not know that...   Glad to hear that at least parts of that bomber are still flying...   I have to say, it's just weird driving past that bomber and not seeing a cockpit, or even much of the fuselage ahead of the wings. 

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
I haven't been by the old bomber in years. Didn't know it was being taken apart.  I know they closed the gas station years back.  Hopefully the old girl is being taken down for display elsewhere.  It was determined years ago that she was so badly corroded by the elements after being over the gas station for so long that she could never be restored to flying condition.
There used to be a Radio Shack almost across the road from the bomber.  Worked there for a bit back in the late 70's.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 09:18:39 AM »
I don't think it's being taken apart per se.... just the forward fuselage was removed for some reason and nothing else really done.   The tailgun is also missing, rather there's a piece of plywood covering where it would be.  Next time I drive by there, I'll have to take a couple pictures. 

Oh, and the Radio Shack?  Closed last year.