Author Topic: getting old, part 2  (Read 2933 times)

Strings

getting old, part 2
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2006, 07:48:41 PM »
Dick... ever read any Heinlein? I'm thinking his book Time enough for Love...

There was acharacter there who got it right: "We all have the past and the present and the future. The past is just a memory... The future? it hasn't happened yet, and nobody knows... what we both have is now..."

You seem to worry too much about how much time "past" encompases, or how little "future" holds. Dick... might be time to live in "now" for a spell... Wink

getting old, part 2
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2006, 12:39:01 AM »
Think of it this way, Dick. You're in a lot better shape than you're going to be in 20 years!

Yer's truly,
Little Miss Sunshine.

Smiley

grampster

• friend
getting old, part 2
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2006, 05:27:17 AM »
Hey, I'm on my way out to the garage.  Gotta move a bit of stuff around.  Then power wash the ski boat, wax it, cover it up and put it away in the garage.  Then I'll fire up the tractor and mow the grass.  All the while breathing in good, crisp fall Michigan air.  

Probably have beer somewhere in there and read the paper.

Life is good.  Being older means I can do things slower and with more meaning.  I get to savor the little things much more than I did when I was younger.  I also get to tip my hat at the folks rushing by in the AM on their way to work.  I think I'll get another cup of java.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
getting old, part 2
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »
Quote from: Barbara
Think of it this way, Dick. You're in a lot better shape than you're going to be in 20 years!

Yer's truly,
Little Miss Sunshine.

Smiley
Um, thanks...I think. Wink

Bill (Hunter Rose): Dunno how to answer you. I've had a great life. All I'm trying to do now is figure out how to make the rest of it just as fabulous.

And, oh, by the way: you may only be 13 or so years younger than me, but you'll be hitting fifty before you know it.

Let's talk then about all this when you've hit the half-century mark.

Strings

getting old, part 2
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2006, 08:41:06 PM »
You honestly think Spoon'll let me live that long? Wink

Besides... even when I hit 50 (in, um, 16 years or so), you'll STILL be more decrepit than I am... Tongue

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
getting old, part 2
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2006, 08:44:20 PM »
Just popped in to say "hi" to the geezers.  HI!  Hi!  Nevermind.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

getting old, part 2
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2006, 08:50:12 PM »
I guess fistful is volunteering to to hold targets the next time y'all go shooting... :neener:

Perd Hapley

• friend
getting old, part 2
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2006, 03:15:15 AM »
Louder, HR, they're hard of hearing.

Art Eatman

• friend
getting old, part 2
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2006, 05:03:45 AM »
Well, my wrinkles come from grinnin', so I must have been doing something right. Smiley  And as long as sweet young things say, "Oh, you CAN'T be THAT old!" I must be doin' okay.  Doin' good enough, anyway.

Hey, ya talk trash to some sweet young thing around 30 years and then say, "Hey, I'd love to take you home, hon', but you're just too young."  It makes her day, for sure.

My wife sez that one of these days some little darlin' is gonna say, "Yeah!" and then I'm in deep doo-doo.  (My first wife said the same thing, but, so far, so good.)

Cheesy, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

308win

getting old, part 2
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2006, 08:50:14 AM »
Just turned 60. The good news is I have my health and a couple of firearms and two grandsons both younger than 3 so I have at least 18 or so years of meaningful days before I have to worry about what I am going to do next week. Life is mostly pretty good.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
getting old, part 2
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2006, 12:21:14 PM »
Very funny, fistful. I hope you realize that, as I believe it was Hermann Goering who said, "what you are, I was. What I am, you will be."

This stuff is headed your way, too. Wink

Art, I don't think your mock pickup lines would work for me. I just come across as a lech.

Yesterday, I stopped at a Pick N' Save in one of the more affluent parts of town for a couple of frozen pizzas. I saw one of the most beautiful young women I've ever seen. And, as a photographer, I've seen many.

Not only was she beautiful, but her pants looked like she had to pour herself into them, if you know what I mean.

All I could do was stare. I somehow even found myself in the produce section, I was so distracted.

Ah, well. Even if I was thirty, she probably wouldn't go out with me.

Art Eatman

• friend
getting old, part 2
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2006, 04:09:53 PM »
AW, well, the main thing is to be able to make folks laugh.  Some things don't work like they used to, though.  There was a time when you could see a beauteous young creature and say, "Aha!  A mannequin!  Kin to manna from Heaven!" and get at least a smile.  Nowadays, they don't have a clue what you're talking about.

The erudition of this younger degeneration is abysmal...

Smiley, Art

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
getting old, part 2
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2006, 01:53:11 PM »
Art, you and I obviously come from a different time, and what almost seems like a different place.

I hold the door for women of all ages. The older ladies sometimes remark that it's been a long time since a man held the door for them. The younger women are usually taken aback, as they're not accustomed to that. The other day, a perky twenty-something thanked me with such enthusiasm that you'd think I'd paid for the groceries she'd just bought.

Going back to my little story about the beautiful young woman at the Pick N' Save:

While I'm not a lecherous old man, I am most definitely a connoisseur of the female form. As such, I'm always surprised when a woman who's dressed to enhance one asset or another acts offended when I look at said asset. Short skirts, tight pants, low-cut blouses, bare midriffs...doesn't matter.

If those women make a conscious effort to display what they obviously think are their best physical attributes, what do they expect guys to do? Do they expect that only men between the ages of 29 and 32 who have MBA's and a BMW in the parking lot will look?

grampster

• friend
getting old, part 2
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2006, 02:41:22 PM »
As I tell Swmbo when she catches me drooling and panting over some young thing...

"Just because I'm on a diet, doesn't mean I can't look at the menu."

To which she usually replies..."And you'll infarct in about 3 seconds if you ordered from the menu."  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
getting old, part 2
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2006, 03:33:39 PM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
AW, well, the main thing is to be able to make folks laugh.  Some things don't work like they used to, though.  There was a time when you could see a beauteous young creature and say, "Aha!  A mannequin!  Kin to manna from Heaven!" and get at least a smile.  Nowadays, they don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Art, I think it's the drool and the liver spots that turn them off.

Art Eatman

• friend
getting old, part 2
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2006, 08:11:27 PM »
Well, I'm not yet drooling, for sure.  Liver spots?  They're pretty much hidden by the scar tissue from too many years working on cars. Smiley

I don't lech; I tease.  Mind games are the most fun when all concerned know who's playing, and can laugh...

Art

getting old, part 2
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2006, 07:36:26 AM »
Age is just a state of mind.  

My birth certificate says I was born in '55, then again that is only a piece of paper...

I still eat Peanut Butter & Jelly and shoot BB Guns.
Try the Pineapple Jelly on a PB&J btw...

I inherited bad knees it seems, alway being active didn't help. Funny, been 13 years since I had that double knee surgery, and knees are better than ever.  I wonder just how much trouble I could have gotten into back in my early days with the knees I have now.

Art , grampster, Barbara and a few others reminds me a lot of some of my Mentors.  Oh yes I had plenty of ladies, as mentors as well. Some very much like Barbara and I guess that is why I probably read a bit more in what Barbara shares.

Mom is going to be 76 come Dec. Age and all taking its toll, and I keep speaking of attitude being a big part of staying healthy, and continuing on.  I reminded her of how years ago she and some other ladies were discussing kids. Parents feeling "funny" about having kids the ages they were.  Being the eldest, I suggested she just introduce me as her "nephew" and that way nobody had to know she had a 30 year old son.

She was 25 at the time I was born.  25 years difference in us and when I turned 25 she called " well, how does it feel to be 1/4 century old?"

'I feel fine, why don't tell me how I look from a 1/2 century perspective when you see me next"
Mom has never used that comparison again.   Smiley

Funny thing is, she sees other folks kids, and "they look old and all" . Some folks trying to figure where I fit into the 4 kids they know mom had.  The other sibs have gray hair, receding hairlines and all...I'm the guy with a pony tail and mustache and the only gray, was wee bit in my moustache.   Made mom feel younger - pissed of the sibs big time.  Tongue

Never acted my age, don't plan on it.  When younger I had roles of older folks, - now older, I have no problem being younger roles.  

The bunch I hang with , includes some kids of course, asked how long I have had a mustache.  I said I quit shaving my upper lip when I was 20.

Kids break out pencil and paper, start doing the math...'Mom...his mustache in older than you!"  Same bunch the kids made it known when out to eat, some could free and pointing at me "He is old you know" - and I got the senior discount applied to all our meal ticket.  I don't care.

I might be out with one of the bunch, folks don't know if I am the daddy, robbed the cradle, some dirty old man, the brother , the uncle or , the grandpa to some of the kids.  I do not care.

I got my hair trimmed, ponytail is gone, mustache trimmed shorter...

One of the ladies does sketches.  I guess I was a model the first couple of times she sketched me, though she was sketching as I was doing something...She is younger than I btw...just on a whim doing a sketch of me assisting a kid shooting, messing with a dog, showing a kid how to cast a flyrod , or spinning reel...the fine art of using a cane pole...

Then I did different things, of different age groups. She snapped pictures in black and white...some she added powder to make my hair gray...we don't call it "modeling" - call it "piddling with pencil".

Sketches "show" a young long hair hippie on a Harley, Cowboy on a horse with a lever action and 1911, Some broken down old man, with a cane ...hair under a hat, ponytail, or hair all out and about over shoulders...

I actually went into a couple of stores like "the old man" - just to see if I could still pull it off.  Had my lady friend that does these sketches. "Old Man" with a "granddaughter.  Folks opening doors, getting me a basket.  Never been offered the powered shopping cart before, I declined, still found it interesting some folks , total strangers will pick up your shopping list for a "old man" that drops it - off the floor-  or "can I get something off that top shelf for you?"

At a few places I used a wheelchair, and had folks thanking me for my service - and I have never been in the military.

Few weeks later, she put on some "older style" clothes, makeup , did her hair in a certain style and added some gray to  it. We headed out. Now folks "saw" a fella with older sister, older Aunt, older Sister-in-Law...

Age ain't got nothing to do with anything. Folks are going to see what they want to see, and believe what they want to believe.

Perceptions.

Sometimes when lady friend and I are out - she gets asked how hold I am.  "Not a day over Fast Cars and Freedom" - she likes to reply.

My birth certificate might age - I am not planning on aging.