Author Topic: 18 yr old girl plus 14 ft python equals?  (Read 3608 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
18 yr old girl plus 14 ft python equals?
« on: December 31, 2006, 05:41:43 PM »
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=46298

14-foot Python attacks handler during show in Tarpon Springs

Tarpon Springs, Florida - Tarpon Springs Police officers say a 14-foot Burmese Python attacked a female handler at the Tarpon Springs Aquarium this afternoon.

Officers arrived at the facility just before 2:00 p.m. at 848 Dodecanese Boulevard at the west end of the sponge dock tourist area.

They say the beast, named Chloe, attacked 18-year-old Alison Cobianchi of Holiday during a show.

Cobianchi was supposed to remove the snake from its cage and talk about the animal. Today, the snake became aggressive, wrapped itself around her arm and waist and bit her on the right hand.

A manager and another handler tried to separate the snake from Cobianchi as she was being pulled into its cage. People in the show also tried to help and were unable to get her free.

An officer deployed his Taser on the snake. After a few seconds, Chloe released her grasp and allowed Cobianchi to get free. The Python then  retreated to her cage. The victim was treated by paramedics and taken to Helen Ellis Hospital for treatment.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission will investigate
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: 18 yr old girl plus 14 ft python equals?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 09:15:50 PM »
This is going to get ugly.   police
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

esheato

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 11:06:54 PM »
I can't say I've ever wondered what a Taser would do to a giant snake....

But if this shall ever occur in my immediate vicinity, I feel prepared to remedy the situation.  grin

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 06:21:16 AM »
Twice in as many months.  This needs to stop.  The cops are on a rampage!  Tasering these poor defenseless snakes. grin
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 06:25:48 AM »
Sad thing is the poor snake could be destroyed for it's actions. Sad

The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 07:38:24 AM »
Hell, my first thought was didn't anyone have a pocket knife?  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »
Hell, my first thought was didn't anyone have a pocket knife?  Smiley

That was my thought... 'cept for I was thinking of a Crocodile Dundee sized Bowie knife. grin

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 09:34:19 AM »
"18 yr old girl plus 14 ft python equals?"

OOH! I know the answer to this!

A kinky poster on the wall of every teenage male in the country?

Or has that been done already? Wink
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »
A kinky poster
That's where I thought this thread was heading.  sad

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 12:03:32 PM »

Heh, I  meant , (gee whiz you guys) that no one, let alone an 18 yr old girl
should ever think it is safe to handle a 14 ft python by them selves.
They are never tame, a snake that size could be a serious threat.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 06:15:57 PM »
Sad thing is the poor snake could be destroyed for it's actions.

hell with that slithery bastard,  mighty fine pair of boots there,  and i work with a SE asian good ol' boy that would consider that good eating

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 07:44:11 PM »
18 year old girl and 14 ft python equals?

My first though was "equals a pretty wild show in Tijuana"................until I started reading the thread. grin

Of course my sentiments are similar to Bigjake's. He sees boots. I see holsters and mag carriers.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Strings

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 08:26:50 PM »
>They are never tame, a snake that size could be a serious threat.<

Actually... yes, they can be. I knew a couple that had an 18 footer that followed the lady of the house around all the time, and was VERY protective of "mom".

What I was told for dealing with the larger snakes (besides "don't mess with 'em when they're acting agressive") was to keep a spray bottle of alchohol on you (bourbon was the recomended type). When the overgrown rodent disposal wraps, spray it in the face: the alchohol dries out their nasal caities, and they relaz their bodiy. I'm assuming bourbon is prefered so you have something pleasant to drink immediately after extracting yourself...

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 10:51:32 PM »
He sees boots. I see holsters and mag carriers.
A snakeskin holster. What gun would go with that? I'm thinking some sort of stainless revolver.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »
hunter rose I must respectfully disagree, some pythons are less prone
to aggression, I can not remember if Burmese are these kind or not.
I used to really into herpetology and I assure you, despite what
you saw, letting an 18 ft snake have free roam about the house is really dangerous.
Even unsanitary, an easy way to get sick is to handle a snake and forget to wash your hands
as they ...uh...can not really wash their hands when they excrete and ...uh...live in their own ...well you get the pic.

Snakes are dumb as post, and any snake may bite you, even the one that you think is your best friend.
retarded mice are a billion to the 100th power times smarter then the smartest snake.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 03:10:56 AM »
I was just watching Chevy Chase's "Las Vegas Vacation" and besides re-realizing that I'm totally in love with Beverly DeAngelo there was a clip in there that included Seigfried and Roy. Poor Roy was all I could think...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Chris

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 03:51:14 AM »
Back in teh day, there was a poster of Christina Applegate with a hawk on one arm and a boa on the other arm...........

Sorry, having adolescent flashbacks...Christina Applegate..mmmmmmmm

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2007, 04:03:44 AM »
A snakeskin holster. What gun would go with that? I'm thinking some sort of stainless revolver.

I'm thinkin' maybe a Colt Python?

laugh
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2007, 06:05:06 AM »
Hmm, when were were down thataway a week ago, it was a tossup between the Clearwater Aquarium & the Tarpon Springs Aquarium.  Glad we chose Clearwater.

If'n I was in the audience, a pocketknife would have been available, as would a SW1911.

I would never trust a reptile strong/dangerous enough to kill me.  Just not enough upstairs going on to form an attachment like a mammal can.

If you are down thataway, I can not recommend enough the little restaurant named "Plaka" on that street.  Gyros to die for. 

An 18' python might be enough to provide for boots and carry gear.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2007, 08:12:30 AM »
gunsmith, Hunter Rose,

I must respectfully disagree with both of you.  With one exception:
The Incredibly Deadly Viper.  It is a very large snake that is, in fact, not deadly at all. The snake was discovered by Montgomery Montgomery in an unknown land.

Snickets trivia.  Everyone with kids under 14 knows this.  rolleyes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2007, 09:38:52 AM »
Actually... yes, they can be. I knew a couple that had an 18 footer that followed the lady of the house around all the time, and was VERY protective of "mom".

What I was told for dealing with the larger snakes (besides "don't mess with 'em when they're acting agressive") was to keep a spray bottle of alchohol on you (bourbon was the recommended type). When the overgrown rodent disposal wraps, spray it in the face: the alchohol dries out their nasal caities, and they relaz their bodiy. I'm assuming bourbon is preferred so you have something pleasant to drink immediately after extracting yourself...
Owners of pit bulls or other dogs who attack people always say stuff like that also.
Why should I have to keep a spray bottle around to keep my pet from attacking me?  For zoo animals I can understand.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Strings

« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2007, 10:07:49 AM »
Mech... I was refering to zoo animals re: the spray bottle. Personally (and this is having had a boa), I wouldn't have one of the really big snakes around (reticulated, burmese).

Gunsmith: being "really into herpetology" is just a touch different from dealing with the individual animals (especially in some of the areas I'm thinking: remember, my old man is in Thailand, and has told some interesting stories). It IS possible for a snake to form a bond: I had one that did. A snake is just like any other animal: it takes time and work to socialize 'em. That said...

I can't see keeping an animal around the house that could see you as a potential meal. Just NOT a good idea...

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007, 10:10:37 AM »
I certainly agree with that last statement.   smiley

I guess cats don't really think you are a meal, they just think they are better than you.  Dogs I have experience with just see you as their personal entertainment supervisor. 

Strings

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2007, 10:21:40 AM »
You want to see some REALLY amazing animal bonds, go to Thailand and visit some of their zoos...

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007, 11:35:30 AM »
This thread is useless without pictures.

Hmmm, girls and pythons...

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"