Author Topic: 18 yr old girl plus 14 ft python equals?  (Read 3607 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: 18 yr old girl plus 14 ft python equals?
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 11:56:33 AM »
That movie is hilarious. My favorite incarnation of Brendan Fraser was the "sensitive" guy. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 07:13:15 AM »
Yeah, I agree...that movie was a hoot.

I still think brain damaged mice are like brain surgeons compared to the smartest nicest snake out there.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 09:57:58 PM »
280plus said:
re-realizing that I'm totally in love with Beverly DeAngelo

WOW!  I thought I was the only one!  grin
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2007, 06:04:41 PM »
Hmmm, I thought a python is SUPPOSED to wrap itself around its food, constrict, and bite. Where is the surprise?

All this "animals are our friends" nonsense is so silly, especially when applied to predators.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 08:31:56 AM »
All this "animals are our friends" nonsense is so silly, especially when applied to predators.

I'll note that both cats and dogs are also predators, and herbivores like horses, goats and such make poor pets.  Even omivorous pigs are in the 'special' pet category.

Though dogs are pack animals, and cats do form structures and dominance chains.  The fact that we've made it so that dogs will fit us into their pack structure(at the top hopefully) and we're too large to be the cat's prey helps.

mustanger98

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 09:05:10 AM »
Personally, I found dogs and horses both to be great pets.

Hollywierd aside, I don't think much of pigs as pets.

I recall, thinking back on the original subject of snakes, there was a guy on Georgia Public TV... Okeefenokee Joe... he opined that snakes make interesting pets, but they don't make good pets. I recall one of my cousins-in-law had a couple of big pythons... his father-in-law said if they got loose in his house, he was getting after 'em with his old rabbit-ears shotgun.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007, 10:05:05 AM »
Some animals really are "friendly" if you feed them and keep them out of the rain.  That would seem obvious.  CAnnoneer apparantly lives someplace where the dog has never been domesticated.  Cats on the other hand - like Machievelli with fur. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 11:10:24 AM »
Quote from: fistful
CAnnoneer apparantly lives someplace where the dog has never been domesticated. 

The illusion of control.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 04:22:34 PM »
Machievelli

You know, if you got zapped by a shrink way, the dog would kill you by accident but the cat would do it on purpose.

That is why I obey the kitty.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 05:15:21 PM »
CAnnoneer apparantly lives someplace where the dog has never been domesticated. 

The illusion of control.

No, the control is real, as far as it goes.  And it goes pretty far, when you consider how many things you can do to your dog and still be his very favoritist person in the whole world.  I.e., hold him down while the vet works on him, etc.  Of course, that's the real illusion.  I don't think dogs know about love or friendship, they just please the alpha dog (the owner) when he takes good care of their needs.  The effect is the same, though.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 05:34:43 PM »
I don't think dogs know about love or friendship, they just please the alpha dog

Both the friendship and control are illusions, IMO. What prevents your dog from deciding one day that it is his time to be alpha, so he rips your jugular out in your sleep?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »
He can't open the dog food cans.  No thumbs.  He also doesn't seem to know where the water comes from that fills his bowl. 

Why would a dog want to kill his human master who waits on him hand and foot?  Who is training who?
Besides, who would throw the ball?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 06:35:19 PM »
What prevents your dog from deciding one day that it is his time to be alpha, so he rips your jugular out in your sleep?
Primarily, it's the fact that he's a domesticated dog and domesticated dogs generally don't do that.  That's why we call them "domesticated." 

Is that not so? 

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 06:37:14 PM »
What prevents your dog from deciding one day that it is his time to be alpha, so he rips your jugular out in your sleep?
Primarily, it's the fact that he's a domesticated dog and domesticated dogs generally don't do that.  That's why we call them "domesticated." 

Is that not so? 

So, such a dog does not generally do that because he's domesticated, and such a dog is domesticated because he does not generally do that.

Perfect logic.  grin
Andy

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 07:29:17 PM »
domesticated dogs generally don't do that. 

"Domesticated" dogs attack one another all the time. If they view their master as just another dog, be it alpha dog, it stands to reason they would also attack that alpha dog under the right circumstances. "Right" is decided by a brain that thinks it is a good idea for a chihuahua to bark at a German shepherd...

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2007, 07:37:28 PM »
domesticated dogs generally don't do that. 

"Domesticated" dogs attack one another all the time. If they view their master as just another dog, be it alpha dog, it stands to reason they would also attack that alpha dog under the right circumstances. "Right" is decided by a brain that thinks it is a good idea for a chihuahua to bark at a German shepherd...
Well then, why aren't dogs everywhere attacking their masters?  It simply doesn't happen, yet by that reasoning it should.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »
dogs do turn, but there is usually warning signs first.
some folks ignore them, but we gunnies are to alpha for that.