Author Topic: Automotive observations from Mexican resorts  (Read 3636 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Automotive observations from Mexican resorts
« on: December 31, 2017, 10:12:38 AM »
So we returned yesterday from our cruise to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas.  We saw more Fords, Toyotas and Volkswagens on the road than any other brand, likely due to the Mexican factories for each.  A bunch of new Fords were being loaded onto railcars in the port of Mazatlan.  I was envious of the small, agile motorcycles zipping everywhere for transportation and courier duties.  Suzuki and Honda both sell 250 cc and less street and dual sport bikes there that are not available in the States, and they looked like a lot of fun and perfect for urban riding. 

I was even more envious of the small pickups that I saw from Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet and VW, and they were even smaller than my Toyota Tacoma.  I saw very few people on bicycles.  The municipal, State and Federal Mexican police drove around in double cab pickups with a steel bench for additional seating in the pickup bed.  I did see municipal police on bicycles and the small Suzuki motorcycles patrolling in the urban areas of Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. 

Cabo had modern streets and traffic signals in good repair, and in Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, the streets were in poor condition and the concept of traffic signals and yielding seemed more like a suggestion.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Automotive observations from Mexican resorts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »
I was envious of the small, agile motorcycles zipping everywhere for transportation and courier duties.  Suzuki and Honda both sell 250 cc and less street and dual sport bikes there that are not available in the States, and they looked like a lot of fun and perfect for urban riding.

I saw the same thing in my late wife's native country. In particular, there was a sort of sport-ish, dual purpose-ish (definitely NOT trail or motocross) single cylinder motorcycle of 125 or 150 cc size that I think would make a dandy commuter bike. I saw a few of them by Honda -- and a gazillion of what appeared to be the exact same machine bearing labels of at least a half dozen Chinese manufacturers.

I was even more envious of the small pickups that I saw from Nissan, Ford, Chevrolet and VW, and they were even smaller than my Toyota Tacoma.

Also true of my late wife's native country. No comparable models available in the U.S., and I would love to have one. Mini-crew cabs, with real rear doors, and the bed is even shorter than what passes as a shortbed here in the U.S., but still big enough to be useful as a pickup.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
I was always curious why we don't see more of the small pickups here.  I figured it was partly due to CAFE standards and such distorting the market. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »
Ford has said they are planning on bringing that Ranger over in 2019-2020.

We don't have them here because they don't sell particularly  well. Or at least they didn't when we had more of them on the market. The Taco sells steady, and Chevy moves some Colorado's, but I never see very many Frontiers any more.

They aren't much cheaper than their full sized brethren.

FWIW,  I'd love to see the Land Cruiser pickup on these shores.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 11:36:49 AM »
I always lusted for Honda's Africa Twin that was overseas. I still hear mopeds and forklifts in my sleep since I figured on ship or shore one would be the death of me. I do not welcome America's moped explosion.

I drove in Norway for a week and finally saw a massive truck! It was a 1500 Dodge. Which looked like a Mack if you're in a 1.3 liter rental.

Russia was the best, if it runs and rolls we ride! Doors optional. Kinda like Kentucky now that I think of it. Hot too fat and toothless woman ratio similar too.

AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:39:24 AM »
Looks like the Ranger is nearly ready for release:

https://jalopnik.com/looks-like-the-new-ford-ranger-is-already-off-roading-i-1821660039/amp

I can't tell scale, but it doesn't look all that much smaller than my F150.

On the Mexico cars, on dive trips to Cozumel, the rental car places had mostly VW bugs, as in the old time, manual tranny, "swap an engine in an hour" version. They were actually pretty good for getting to shore dive spots on the beach and for storing gear.

The last time I was in Cozumel was pre-cruise ship pier, so things may have changed drastically, but I recall the perimeter road around the island was generally in much better condition than the roads in and around San Miguel. You might hit gravel sections on the perimeter road, but they were washboard free. The asphalt sections were generally in very good repair.

I wonder if, since they started getting cruise ship traffic and the cruise ship crowd, if you can even still find manual transmission rental cars there.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:54:48 AM »
^^^Wow, that new Ford Ranger looks as big or bigger than my Tacoma.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:01:08 PM »
Most of what we have here is thanks to government and spoiled consumers allied. Crash standards made the cars big, luxuries like soundproofing, power everything made them heavy. Hybrids could be better if they were Geo metro weight class. Trucks could be affordable if they were just trucks.

I would like some niche regulations, maybe allow a "rural" truck type class, eased CAFE standards, no airbags, crank windows, simple bodywork. About a 1980s Nissan type affair. Same for city people, the smart cars are idiotic for the real world, but in the urban jungle do fine. Make them simpler and cheaper. No airbags, minimum creature comforts, light, small, and fuel efficient. Come up with some mixed use scheme that much like tractors neither class is allowed on the interstate, keeps them local to their target market.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »
I liked the small trucks, but there doesn't seem to be a market for them.  I suspect that's because most folks don't use them like trucks, more like cars with the ability to throw a bag of mulch in the back without soiling the fine interior of an SUV.  It struck me how close to an old, small truck some of the modern UTVs are.  I don't know if they would be street legal, and the lack of amenities would reduce appeal, but they are almost trucks:

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 01:06:03 PM »
^^^Speaking of which, we saw a lot of 4x4 ATVs and the large quad UTV work vehicles on the streets of the resorts. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
I liked the small trucks, but there doesn't seem to be a market for them.  I suspect that's because most folks don't use them like trucks, more like cars with the ability to throw a bag of mulch in the back without soiling the fine interior of an SUV.  It struck me how close to an old, small truck some of the modern UTVs are.  I don't know if they would be street legal, and the lack of amenities would reduce appeal, but they are almost trucks:

Lots of small town areas of Idaho I've been to, people just drive them on the street as well. Cops don't seem to care.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 01:57:48 PM »
Ford has said they are planning on bringing that Ranger over in 2019-2020.

Yep.  One was spotted at Moab recently.  Should be debuted at the next big auto show.

https://jalopnik.com/looks-like-the-new-ford-ranger-is-already-off-roading-i-1821660039

Oops.  Didn’t see Ben’s post.  Oh well, two for one.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 06:10:15 PM »
. . . I saw a few of them by Honda -- and a gazillion of what appeared to be the exact same machine bearing labels of at least a half dozen Chinese manufacturers . . .
Hmmm . . . I wonder . . . with some other products, Chinese knock-offs are produced which violate all sorts of patents; when sued, the company first delays, and then shuts down. Days later, another DIFFERENT company with a DIFFERENT name starts producing the exact same product. And if it's your patent being violated, you have to start the entire patent enforcement process again - at YOUR expense. And the cycle repeats.

Quote from: dogmush
FWIW,  I'd love to see the Land Cruiser pickup on these shores.
In Africa, these replaced Land Rovers decades ago as the preferred vehicles to go out in the bush. Engine compartments were simple - the African versions didn't have more than a fraction - a SMALL fraction - of the vacuum hoses, wires, etc. that US vehicles are saddled with by the EPA.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 06:17:36 PM »
^^^Wow, that new Ford Ranger looks as big or bigger than my Tacoma.

Looks a lot like an Explorer SporTrac.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 06:31:49 PM »
Back to Sud America and motocicletas, am I the only one who thinks this would be a realy neat urban commuting bike?

I kind of like this one -- it's like a scaled-down version of my old Honda CB-350 -- the type we used to call the "Universal Japanese Motorcycle." Not stellar at anything, usable for everything, and not so ugly you couldn't live with it for a prolonged period of time.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 06:37:38 PM »
I'm not a motorcycle guy but I've always liked the more practical looks of those utility bikes over choppers, (most) hogs, and ricers.

Like how if I was to hang a rifle on my wall for aesthetic purposes I'd go with a lever-action over an AR pattern.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, is it the looks or the practicality I like? Because they're not much to look at but they can do so much. Hmm.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
Warren, you posted exactly what I was thinking.  I've always liked that style of bike.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »
^^^I think about the closest you can get to that in the States from a major manufacturer is the Suzuki TU-250:  http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/TU250X/2017/TU250X.aspx

Suzuki is also rumored to be bringing the DL250 to the States this coming year: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-suzuki-v-strom-250-review

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 07:49:05 PM »
Other than the street tires, those bikes look kinda like the Yamaha Enduro I had as a kid. The Enduros were kinda like a motorcycle "crossover". I always used it offroad. The guy I sold it to used it to go back and forth to work.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 07:56:28 PM »
Way back in the dark ages of the '70s you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting kid on a Japanese 2-stroke motorcycle. In Oklahoma we could be licenesed to drive a 125cc at age 14. I had a Yamaha DT125 and there were dozens of similar Hondas, Suzukis and Kawasakis  just like it in the parking lot at the high school.
A quick look at the big four show few offerings in the small size range.
Darn shame.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 11:01:32 PM »
^^^I think about the closest you can get to that in the States from a major manufacturer is the Suzuki TU-250:  http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/TU250X/2017/TU250X.aspx

Suzuki is also rumored to be bringing the DL250 to the States this coming year: http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-suzuki-v-strom-250-review

I like the TU-250, and since neither Honda nor Yamaha nor Kawasakie currently makes anything even close (at least for the U.S. market), if I were shopping for a motorcycle today that's the first stop I'd make.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 11:48:38 AM by Hawkmoon »

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 06:44:31 AM »
You need the Americanized version.  Instead of buying a small econo-box import car, we buy large, manly, four-wheel drive US-made trucks.  So, you need the same thing in a motorcycle.  And it is made in the USA!

https://www.rokon.com/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 06:56:44 AM »
Neat rigs but way overpriced.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 08:03:57 AM »
^^^I think about the closest you can get to that in the States from a major manufacturer is the Suzuki TU-250:  http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/TU250X/2017/TU250X.aspx

I did some reading on those.  They sound neat.  A bit underpowered, but I don't ride motorcycles, so I'm sure it would be more than enough for me as a first bike.  I did note where one article mentioned owners turning them into Scramblers.  I have an unhealthy obsession with scramblers.

It was mentioned that the TU-250 is a bit underpowered for the highway.  We have a lot of highway around here.  However, the thought of getting onto a highway in a motorcycle around here gives me the heebie-jeebies, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

ETA: While looking into the 250, I found the Suzuki VanVan 200.  It has a smaller engine and gas tank, but is lighter, less expensive, and already set up as a semi-scrambler.  <swoon>.

ETA2: Article in UK cycle press about the VanVan: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/july/you-really-can-can-on-a-vanvan/ 

Chris
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:21:09 AM by mtnbkr »

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 08:51:19 AM »
So, after watching a bunch of videos and reading several articles, I'm torn on the VanVan.  On one hand, it's probably the ideal starter bike.  Simple, well-mannered, and comfortable.  However, it apparently lacks a number of features experienced riders would expect and the low power means you'll struggle to get into the 60s.  It appears to do well offroad (gravel roads, minor technical features, not motocross terrain).  As a non-rider, I think I'd have a great time on this bike and it wouldn't let me get into trouble, but I would be concerned about outgrowing it or getting frustrated if I needed to hop on the highway to get to my destination (common requirement in this area).

Still, I like what I see.  If I decided to get a bike, this one would be a consideration.

Chris