Author Topic: Automotive observations from Mexican resorts  (Read 3637 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Automotive observations from Mexican resorts
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 11:49:47 AM »
You need the Americanized version.  Instead of buying a small econo-box import car, we buy large, manly, four-wheel drive US-made trucks.  So, you need the same thing in a motorcycle.  And it is made in the USA!

https://www.rokon.com/

Not even remotely interested.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 12:01:46 PM »
I did some reading on those.  They sound neat.  A bit underpowered, but I don't ride motorcycles, so I'm sure it would be more than enough for me as a first bike.  I did note where one article mentioned owners turning them into Scramblers.  I have an unhealthy obsession with scramblers.

It was mentioned that the TU-250 is a bit underpowered for the highway.  We have a lot of highway around here.  However, the thought of getting onto a highway in a motorcycle around here gives me the heebie-jeebies, so maybe that's not a bad thing.

ETA: While looking into the 250, I found the Suzuki VanVan 200.  It has a smaller engine and gas tank, but is lighter, less expensive, and already set up as a semi-scrambler.  <swoon>.

ETA2: Article in UK cycle press about the VanVan: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/july/you-really-can-can-on-a-vanvan/ 

Chris

My first motorcycle was a Honda CB 350 -- probably THE motorcycle that epitomized the "Universal Japanese Motorcycle" type. 350 ccs, twin cylinders, 5-speed transmission, "blah" styling, but it was a street bike, not a would-be motocrosser or enduro competitor. It had twin, low exhausts. There was a near-clone that had the exhausts mounted high and on the same side (maybe the CL-350? Don't recall) that was aimed at the more off-road oriented crowd, but other than the exhausts my recollection is they were basically the same machine. I had the Honda because I was attending university in an inner city and didn't want to have a car. The CB-350 gave decent fuel economy, got me around the city very capably, and had enough power (barely) to go on the highway. It would easily pull wheelies from a standstill, but at 65 MPH there wasn't a lot of acceleration to be had for passing maneuvers. A crotch rocket it was not, but it was what it was intended to be -- an all-purpose motorcycle. I find it sad that most of the manufacturers have foresaken that market segment.

For a few years, I believe Honda even had a smaller, near clone of the CB-350 but with a smaller engine ... the CB-250. Which, IIRC, was a twin.

Yep -- here 'tis: http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb_250_1972.php The CB-350 looked exactly the same.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 12:04:46 PM »
The VanVan looks interesting, but I have always had a sneaking fondness for the Yamaha equivalent, the TW 200: https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/dual-sport/models/tw200

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 12:31:32 PM »
The CB-350 gave decent fuel economy, got me around the city very capably, and had enough power (barely) to go on the highway. It would easily pull wheelies from a standstill, but at 65 MPH there wasn't a lot of acceleration to be had for passing maneuvers.

Through experience, trial and error, my opinion is that for an adult American male, you should have at least a 500 cc bike to take on the freeway, especially in hilly terrain like Seattle.  I have ridden 250 and 400 cc bikes wide open throttle on the freeway, and with a 200 pound rider on board, they were pretty much topped out at 60-70 MPH with no reserve left for passing or evasive maneuvers.  Each new bike, I take onto a local freeway (the Boeing freeway in Everett for anyone local) at night for a wide open throttle test to see my top speed so I know what I have on tap if needed.  My current bike, the Suzuki 2012 V-Strom 650, tops out at 85 MPH.  I have been thinking about a smaller and more nimble bike, but I like the adventure touring format like the V-Strom.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 02:12:16 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »
Through experience, trial and error, my opinion is that for an adult American male, you should have at least a 500 cc bike to take on the freeway, especially in hilly terrain like Seattle.  I have ridden 250 and 400 cc bikes wide open throttle on the freeway, and with a 200 pound rider on board, they were pretty much topped out at 60-70 MPH with no reserve left for passing or evasive maneuvers.  Each new bike, I take onto a local freeway (the Boeing freeway in Everett for anyone local) at night for a wide open throttle test to see my top speed so I know what I have on tap if needed.  My current bike, the Suzuki 2012 V-Strom 650, tops out at 85 MPH.  I have been thinking about a smaller and more nimble bike, but I like the adventure touring format like the V-Strom.

I dunno. While going through my second divorce I was experiencing the typical period of self-examination/identity crisis. I had been motorcycleless for a number of years at that point, couldn't afford to buy a "big" bike, but I wanted something more than a puddle jumper. I found a smokin' deal on a previous-year Honda Nighthawk 450. It had a full-size chassis, the rear tire was larger than the stock rear tire on my neighbor's older CB750, and it had plenty of power and torque even for highway riding. I have no idea what the top end was -- I had it up to 90+ and chickened out. Heck, even the old '72 CB350 would cruise at 75 -- it just took awhile to get there.

That said, if I were shopping for an affordable, general-purpose / touring bike today I'd be looking in the 500 to 650 cc range. I like that little Euromot as an inner city commuter bike.

[Edit to add]My holy grail of motorcycles is a pristine Honda Silverwing. Only 500 ccs, but I loved those bikes. Saw one on top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park many years ago, ridden by a drop-dead gorgeous blonde chick. I still don't know if I lusted more for the bike or the blonde.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »

Oh, dear God, I think Joseph Bistro is now a member of one of the Jeep forums I hang out on.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2018, 02:30:58 PM »
 My current bike, the Suzuki 2012 V-Strom 650, tops out at 85 MPH.

It'll go faster than that. I've ridden with guys on DL's at around 100, the SV650 will go about 130. My SV1000S tops out about 155.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2018, 04:03:11 PM »
I have zero desire for a compact or mid size pickup truck when my full-size costs only a little more, gets better mileage, and has lots of interior space and plenty of underhood space.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sideways_8

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »
I have zero desire for a compact or mid size pickup truck when my full-size costs only a little more, gets better mileage, and has lots of interior space and plenty of underhood space.

Interior space has shrunk on full-size trucks as well. I drive a 2014 F-150 for work and have driven some of the beer can 2015 models. The exterior is larger and interior smaller. No thanks.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2018, 11:29:48 PM »

My first motorcycle was a Honda CB 350 -- probably THE motorcycle that epitomized the "Universal Japanese Motorcycle" type. 350 ccs, twin cylinders, 5-speed transmission, "blah" styling, but it was a street bike, not a would-be motocrosser or enduro competitor. It had twin, low exhausts. There was a near-clone that had the exhausts mounted high and on the same side (maybe the CL-350? Don't recall) that was aimed at the more off-road oriented crowd, but other than the exhausts my recollection is they were basically the same machine. I had the Honda because I was attending university in an inner city and didn't want to have a car. The CB-350 gave decent fuel economy, got me around the city very capably, and had enough power (barely) to go on the highway. It would easily pull wheelies from a standstill, but at 65 MPH there wasn't a lot of acceleration to be had for passing maneuvers. A crotch rocket it was not, but it was what it was intended to be -- an all-purpose motorcycle. I find it sad that most of the manufacturers have foresaken that market segment.

For a few years, I believe Honda even had a smaller, near clone of the CB-350 but with a smaller engine ... the CB-250. Which, IIRC, was a twin.

Yep -- here 'tis: http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cb_250_1972.php The CB-350 looked exactly the same.

I am going to jump in here and although the CB350 was a UJM, it just carried on the traditions of its predecessor, the CB77. Also known as the Honda 305, probably the first Honda sportbike to be imported. Mine was black. ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2018, 12:04:53 AM »

I am going to jump in here and although the CB350 was a UJM, it just carried on the traditions of its predecessor, the CB77. Also known as the Honda 305, probably the first Honda sportbike to be imported. Mine was black. ;)

Agreed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB77

The CB77 was my 350's older brother. Although, in honesty, I think calling it (or the CB350 or CL350) a "sportbike" is a bit of a stretch. Hence my characterization as a UJM.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:23:00 AM by Hawkmoon »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2018, 12:30:11 AM »
Agreed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB77

The CB77 was my 350's older brother. Although, in honesty, I think calling it (or the CB350 or CL350) a "sportbike" is a bit of a stretch. Hence my characterization as a UJM.

Agreed, compared to today's sportbikes but for the early to mid 60's it was about as sporty as you could get. My Suzuki GS1100E was considered a sportbike ( I believe) but to me it was the essence of UJM. Upright seating, good at touring, the twisties and straight line speed.

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2018, 10:31:59 AM »
The original Kawasaki Ninja IMHO more or less created the "sportbike" category. Before the Ninja, there really wasn't much of anything in showrooms that classified as "sportbike."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2018, 03:49:35 AM »
Sort of.
One could argue that the 1983 Yamaha RZ350 was the first production sport bike albeit without the full plastic taco body work, just a small cafe fairing but the 1984 GPZ900 Ninja was the first "big bike" of that flavor.
The earlier RD400 Daytona Special didn't have the fairing but it was pretty sporty. They were "replicating" th3 sport bikes of the day.
Those were the days, King Kenny, Mike the Bike, Spencer,  Mamola, Agostini, Rainey...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

griz

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2018, 06:43:59 AM »
Gotta disagree.  The Suzuki Katana was around 1979 or 80, and was pretty radical for the time.  Somewhat less radical (unless you consider that it was produced by the most conservative of motorcycle companies) was the BMW R90S in the early 70s. (1974 I think)  Practical and good looking, at least it suits my tastes:

Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2018, 07:04:37 AM »
If I ever regain the ability and desire to ride again I'll be looking for an Airhead around that vintage.

I'd forgotten the Katana.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams