Author Topic: The holy grail for big Pharma: weight loss  (Read 1679 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
The holy grail for big Pharma: weight loss
« on: July 18, 2022, 06:05:39 PM »
https://www.ft.com/content/96a61dc0-249a-4e4e-96a2-2b6a382b7a3b

Our pharmacists at work say the first manufacturer who comes up with an effective, relatively safe, and relatively inexpensive pill for weight loss will be rolling in money.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The holy grail for big Pharma: weight loss
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 06:10:12 PM »
link hits a pay wall.

I heard a couple of talking heads on the radio yesterday discussing something like this. The "expert" seemed to think health/prescription "insurance" companies might go for it as it could save them money in the long run by reducing costs associated with obesity related ailments.
I'm skeptical that even if that were in fact the case that the insurance company bean counters are smart enough to go that route
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 06:13:15 PM »

l-tryptophan

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 06:20:09 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 06:52:53 PM »
Well cancer really helped me drop weight, maybe they can start there.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 06:54:26 PM »
Way back in the day, didn't people try to lose weight by eating tapeworms?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 07:16:21 PM »
I thought suggesting someone was over weight was verboten nowadays
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 07:22:48 PM »
https://www.ft.com/content/96a61dc0-249a-4e4e-96a2-2b6a382b7a3b

Our pharmacists at work say the first manufacturer who comes up with an effective, relatively safe, and relatively inexpensive pill for weight loss will be rolling in money.

What's wrong with good, ol' amphetamines?  Or maybe cocaine.  Or if you're on a budget, meth.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2022, 07:29:27 PM »
Or if you're on a budget, meth.

If you're going for the rotted zombie look
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2022, 07:31:02 PM »
If you like the rotted zombie look

You don't need all those teeth anyway.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2022, 07:44:06 PM »
Crystal meth was also popular (and legal) for a few decades.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2022, 08:25:41 PM »

In the 1920s women were advised to smoke, take laxatives, and drink alcohol to lose weight.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 08:29:57 PM »
In the 1920s women were advised to smoke, take laxatives, and drink alcohol to lose weight.

Many women gained weight for nine months by following that advice.
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2022, 08:39:12 PM »
Well cancer really helped me drop weight, maybe they can start there.

Really sorry to hear that.  =|

When Wife1 suggested l-tryptophan for a sleep aid, which worked,  I noticed a weight loss which kind if scared me on that basis.

ll was OK. Wife1 said weight loss was a side effect.

leuvo-tryptophan, not the d (dextro)- tryptophan, is commonly used as an animal calmative for horses and crazonuts dogs.

Check it with smaller amounts for allergic reactions first.

Terry, 230RN

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2022, 08:56:56 PM »
Heh.

Eat meat.

Don't eat sugars.

Bacon is okay.

Toast isn't.

But the government's "food pyramid" has to be right...
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2022, 06:35:41 AM »
The thread-starting post:

That's why I brought up l-tryptophan.

<editorial opinion>
The FDA took it off the market once, but found out that the problems were caused by an imporoper fermenting process used in Japan.  Problem solved, they allowed it back on the market.

The FDA once took tincture of iodine off the market supposedly, as I understand it, because of its use in some illegal drug manufacture.  They put it back on the market after enough people screamed about it. 

Ask a modern medical practitioner about iodine and it's a no-no, but I, in common with many other people, always found it very useful, especially for minor penetrating wounds since it, itself, penetrates.

My mother, who had been a licensed Nanny in New York, advised its use for almost any unknown skin irritation "just in case."  Since iodine is chemically active, it sometimes sometimes is good for insect bites.

Apparently it sometimes tends to oxidize the itchifying agents in the bites.  Either that or the alcohol in it numbs your nerves.  Or both.

In fear of da goobermink taking it off the market again, I often pick up an extra bottle of tincture of iodine when I pass it in the pharmacy section.  Paranoid?  Nah.  I just learned my lesson about the arrogance of institutionalized medical professionals.

Over the years I've noticed a constant narrowing of "normal" physiological metrics such as blood pressure, et cetera.  This is good for business, as you can guess.  The myriad ads for this and that obscure "situation," such as bosculated capulitis, is also great fear-mongering for the medical industry.

I remember the remark Bernadette made in "The Big Bang Theory," about "My company invented both a disease and the cure for it." 

Those BBT writers are a pretty savvy bunch.
</editorial opinion>

Gee, that felt good.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 06:57:22 AM by 230RN »

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2022, 08:08:02 AM »
Our major targets were cancer (slowing/stopping tumor growth), arthritis (zapping enzymes that caused deterioration/pain) and metabolism (diabetes, etc...).
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 09:08:34 AM »
I agree that some sort of weight/metabolism control that was safe would be good, but I am not so sure the medical industry and insurance companies in general really want less obesity.  Or at least I don't think more obesity hurts them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2022, 09:10:25 AM »
I'm guessing that what people want with weight loss pills is the same thing they want with cholesterol meds, where you take a daily pill so you can keep eating the fried chicken.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2022, 09:13:28 AM »
Hadn't thought about l-tryptophan since hearing the FDA pulled it off the market way back. Never noticed they reversed that.
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2022, 09:49:19 AM »
I'm guessing that what people want with weight loss pills is the same thing they want with cholesterol meds, where you take a daily pill so you can keep eating the fried chicken.

You mean there's a way OTHER than eating fried chicken?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2022, 10:11:13 AM »
The problem isn't the fried chicken itself, the problem is that many Americans will eat something fried or similar whether it be chicken, chips, fries, etc... and empty carbs  all day all night long often chased down by mass quantities of liquid candy day after day while also doing not much more than sit in front of the TV all day. In between mouth fulls they scream "where is my magic weight loss pill?"
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2022, 10:18:28 AM »
           l-tryptophan

What can you tell me about it???

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2022, 10:19:58 AM »
The problem isn't the fried chicken itself, the problem is that many Americans will eat something fried or similar whether it be chicken, chips, fries, etc... and empty carbs  all day all night long often chased down by mass quantities of liquid candy day after day while also doing not much more than sit in front of the TV all day.

That's what I was getting at. I have friends who had to go on cholesterol meds even though a dietary and lifestyle change would have lowered their cholesterol without drugs. They  chose the drugs so they could keep eating bacon and eggs everyday.

I believe most of the people that go on the fad diets also want to lose the weight, but then go back to ice cream, donuts, and a large coke for lunch. If they had a daily pill that would let them maintain weight while eating junk food ever day, that's what they would jump on, since after they do their celebrity endorsed "lose 50lbs in two weeks!" diet, they're back to their old weight the next month.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2022, 10:34:24 AM »
The problem isn't the fried chicken itself, the problem is that many Americans will eat something fried or similar whether it be chicken, chips, fries, etc... and empty carbs  all day all night long often chased down by mass quantities of liquid candy day after day while also doing not much more than sit in front of the TV all day. In between mouth fulls they scream "where is my magic weight loss pill?"

And you know what really makes me shake my head?

A lot of the same people who screech about vaccines being evil horrible things will be gobbling those weight loss pills like *expletive deleted*ing candy.