Author Topic: SDS Imports 1911  (Read 1385 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
SDS Imports 1911
« on: October 21, 2022, 12:43:07 PM »
Bud's just send me an ad for this 1911 in .45. Under $320. Looks pretty good, too.

But I have to take exception to this bit of ad copy...

"An accurate reproduction of the WWI-issued side arm..."

Ooh! ooh! I can answer that! It's NOT an accurate reproduction of the 1911!

The US Model of 1911 did NOT have:

1. A skeletonized Commander-style rounded hammer.

2. Frame scallops behind the trigger.

3. A short bodied trigger.

Additionally, the ejection port on the 1911 was considerably different from the gun Bud's is selling.

About the only thing I can see that is authentic to the 1911 is the flat mainspring housing.

Sigh.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: SDS Imports 1911
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 12:52:53 PM »
Buds warns you you can't always go by their pictures.
Looking on SDS's website and the picture for the one they show there appears to be a bit closer. BUT I am not a 1911 expert
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 12:58:58 PM »
"Buds warns you you can't always go by their pictures."

The statement on Bud's page also says that the pictures are provided by the manufacturer.

OK, I'm not having much success in finding their product page for this gun...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 01:00:21 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 01:01:19 PM »
Also appear to be two with very similar descriptions on Bud's website

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/115201/sds+1911a1+.45+acp+5+7rd+black
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2022, 01:01:24 PM »
That's a 1911A1 -- the 1926 and beyond configuration. It's not a 1911.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2022, 01:03:39 PM »
That's a 1911A1 -- the 1926 and beyond configuration. It's not a 1911.

Okay, like I said I'm not a 1911 expert.  :P

Oh, and from off Bud's website

Boding and underlining mine.

*Please Note!! Many of our pictures are stock photo\'s provided to us by the manufacturer and do not necessarily represent the actual item being purchased. Please verify this picture accurately reflects the product described by the title and description on this page before you place your order.

I have noticed plenty of errors photo wise over the years on Bud's
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2022, 01:05:35 PM »
I already covered the stock photos from the manufacturer concept.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2022, 01:06:51 PM »
But you left out the, now, underlined part so there  :P
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 01:12:42 PM »
This is the closest thing I'm finding on Tisas' page to what Bud's is calling a faithful reproduction of the World War I 1911...

https://www.tisasusa.com/product-p/1911a1s.htm

IT'S NOT!

But, I can't find anything on Tisas' page that matches, exactly, what Bud's is offering.

What that means to me is that this could be a Bud's special -- a configuration that they requested.

Even if it's a one off special order for them and them alone, it is apparently not what they're claiming it represents.

It's looking more and more like it's one of Tisas' 1911A1 reproductions with a different finish and a flat mainspring housing, but with all of the other alterations that didn't hit the gun until 1926.

To me that's not much different than if Apple were to come out with a spiffy laptop advertised as "An accurate reproduction of Henry VIII's Hampton Court Palace laptop when he ordered Anne Boleyn's beheading! Own a piece of history!"

Complete fucktardery.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 01:18:50 PM »
Meh, it's a 1911. Only grouchy old farts care  :rofl:

- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 01:19:58 PM »
OK, non-boomer.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2022, 01:36:10 PM »
Meh, it's a 1911. Only grouchy old farts care  :rofl:

Correct.

Get off my lawn!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2022, 01:37:08 PM »
Mike

Link to the Bud's listing for the "M1911"?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2022, 01:41:58 PM »
Since the Boomer couldn't actually link to the gun he was upset about I dug through my Spam box to get the Buds Ad.

Here is the offending pistol:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/411560701/sds+imports+1911+service+special+45acp+grey+5

Bud's shitty ad copy aside that appears to be a Tisas 1911A1 "Service Special" which is indeed no longer on Tisas' website but is described by another retailer thusly:

he Tisas 1911A1 Service Special chambered in 45 ACP is a faithful reproduction of the celebrated US Army issue pistol that served our troops so well in WWII and other conflicts. This enhanced version of the legendary single action only 1911 service pistol has a forged steel frame and slide with a 5" barrel. The 1911A1 Service Special features a ring hammer instead of the traditional tang hammer. Series 70 internals, a flat mainspring housing, and a flared and lowered ejection port contribute to the reliability of this classic reproduction. True to the original, the 1911A1 features an original style grip safety and left side mounted thumb safety. Target acquisition comes through low profile GI style A1 combat sights. The affordable Service Special finished in a durable dark grey Cerakote with brown checkered polymer grips shines as both a conversation piece and everyday shooter. TISAS is a respected firearms manufacturer serving civilians, law enforcement, and militaries around the world. The 1911A1 Service Special is a value packed, classic reproduction of the legendary 1911 service pistol that anyone can afford.

So it claims to be an "upgraded" version of a M1911A1, so WWII, not WWI anyway.  Buds seems to have mixed up the ad copy with the M1911A1 US Army repro pistol:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/115201/sds+1911a1+.45+acp+5+7rd+black

ETA:  The PITA I went through to get that CMP Colt is looking better and better each day.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2022, 01:45:47 PM »
I posted Bud's link TWO MINUTES before you got snarky.

Nice fail, whippernsnapper.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"So it claims to be an "upgraded" version of a M1911A1, so WWII, not WWI anyway. "

It ain't that, either.

I know of no authentic US military 1911A1s of the WW II era that had a Commander hammer AND a flat mainspring housing.

It's just morons slapping a bunch of *expletive deleted*ing parts together and hoping to take dollars from imbeciles...

Sort of like what happened with all of those ULTRA RARE M1 TANKER GARANDS!!! back in the 1960s.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2022, 02:01:46 PM »
I posted Bud's link TWO MINUTES before you got snarky.

Nice fail, whippernsnapper.  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I was looking up alternate retailers for a shitty turkish gun.  Took me a sec.   =D

"So it claims to be an "upgraded" version of a M1911A1, so WWII, not WWI anyway. "

It ain't that, either.

I know of no authentic US military 1911A1s of the WW II era that had a Commander hammer AND a flat mainspring housing.

It's just morons slapping a bunch of *expletive deleted*ing parts together and hoping to take dollars from imbeciles...

Sort of like what happened with all of those ULTRA RARE M1 TANKER GARANDS!!! back in the 1960s.

I believe those are the "upgrades" they speak of.  Funny you should mention Tanker Garands though.  You can get a Tanker 1911 to match it from Tisas!: https://www.tisasusa.com/product-p/1911a1t.htm

That thing is sure to make your eye twitch.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 03:09:13 PM »

ACCURATE REPRODUCTION OF M1917 COLT REVOLVOLATOR

( Photographs may not accurately represent the articles described.)
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 03:12:22 PM »

ACCURATE REPRODUCTION OF M1917 COLT PISTOL

( Photographs may not accurately represent the articles described.)

That's after Bubba got done sporterizing it.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2022, 04:01:10 PM »
It's a .45.

It's che... er... affordable.

Someone buy one and let us poors know how you like it.
Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2022, 04:08:44 PM »
So it claims to be an "upgraded" version of a M1911A1, so WWII, not WWI anyway.  Buds seems to have mixed up the ad copy with the M1911A1 US Army repro pistol:

Not really. An A1 would have an arched mainspring housing, like most of the Tisas 1911s. The hammer is obviously wrong, but can be easily replaced. And the grip safety tang appears to be the short/small configuration, which would be correct for an M1911.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2022, 04:12:13 PM »

Funny you should mention that. On the Tisas web site, they show a "Tanker" version of the 1911. It appears to be a straightforward Combat Commander configuration -- my understanding is that the historical configuration that was unofficially known as a "Tanker" was a full-size of Commander frame with an Officers ACP slide and barrel.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2022, 04:54:21 PM »
https://www.tisasusa.com/product-p/1911a1s.htm
I have this one.  It was cheap and I wanted an older looking 1911 to shoot so I would be less tempted to further wear out my CMP 1911. 

There were lots of reviews of the Tisas 1911-A1 when it came out.  Most pointed out the different ways it was NOT a 1911A1, but said most were parts that could be changed.  My hesitation would be that that mine doesn't feed hollow points all that well.  I don't need it to, just something to note.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/1911-semi-automatic-45-acp-5-barrel-nickel.html
Cimarron still has this on their site.  They used to have a 1911 that they billed as a "Wild Bunch" 1911, but it wasn't quite 100% original either.  I don't know if anyone actually makes a true original.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2022, 04:59:53 PM »
A historic thread: never before has a painstakingly accurate reproduction of the original, WWI Model of 1911 pistol (personally hand-fitted and blessed by John Browning at the cusp of eventide on a full moon) turned out to be a slap-dash, half-cocked gun, made overseas, from piles of random, MIM parts.

Some of you have obviously never shopped for 1911s before.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife