Author Topic: There might be another addition to the NoVA crew  (Read 3312 times)

Dannyboy

• friend
There might be another addition to the NoVA crew
« on: March 19, 2008, 04:02:51 AM »
I interviewed at General Dynamics in Fairfax on Monday.  I think things went well and should find out in about a week and a half.  If everything goes to plan, I'll be on my way down there in less than a month.  I really need to get of New Jersey.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: There might be another addition to the NoVA crew
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 04:18:56 AM »
Comeon down!
Fairfax puts you real close to Irwin.  Close to Mtnbkr, and just past him is me.  Cassandrasdaddy is nearby, too.  A few others I do believe.

When we get our housing debacle settled, I'm going to pick a date for a meet and greet and barbque.  Hopefully you'll be in the area by then.

We're less than an hour from hunting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking.  DC is close enough to get your fix of history, as well as the battlefields that are scattered throughout.  Fairfax is home to the NRA and the National Firearms Museum.  Mountains all along the west side of the state.  VA beach is 3 hours away, OBX is 6.  Florida is a day's drive away if you're so inclined.  With three international airports within an hour or so from Fairfax you can jetset to anywhere in the world you so desire.
Congestion, urban sprawl, road rage, and freeway traffic are the biggest drawbacks to the area. 
good luck,
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:51:55 AM »
Is that NOVA show still on?   smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 05:05:37 AM »
I interviewed at General Dynamics in Fairfax on Monday.  I think things went well and should find out in about a week and a half.  If everything goes to plan, I'll be on my way down there in less than a month.  I really need to get of New Jersey.

Wow. General Dynamics. Sorry to hear that.

You may want to bottle your soul up in advance. They're going to rip it from you anyways, and it will make the transition easier. Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 05:06:41 AM »
"With three international airports within an hour or so from Fairfax..."

Three?

BWI and Dulles, but what's the third? National's not...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »
Danny,
Is this to work on the EFV?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 05:23:26 AM »
Danny,
Is this to work on the EFV?

TC

No, it's with GDIT.  Though there was a job on that project for which I had originally applied.  Not enough experience. 

I spend enough time in the area that it's not completely new to me.  I usually make it down for a long weekend every other month or so.  My buddy works at RRT in F'burg and I'm gonna stay at his place for a while in Bristow.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 05:47:46 AM »
bristow is nice  edge of country. bout 45 mins from me  but i spend 15 mins getting to the main road  rt 17 from my house

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 11:04:05 AM »
"With three international airports within an hour or so from Fairfax..."

Three?

BWI and Dulles, but what's the third? National's not...

66 to the beltway I'd think its close to an hour....traffic notwithstanding
 shocked

Bristow is real close to Mtnbkr.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 11:07:06 AM »
Jamis,

I meant that National airport, as its name implies, is not an international airport.

Richmond and Philadelphia are the next closest international airports that I know of, and neither is within an hour of Fairfax.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »
Jamis,

I meant that National airport, as its name implies, is not an international airport.

Ah I thought it was.
It does, however, service much of the country  laugh so its a large national airport.

Richmond and Philadelphia are the next closest international airports that I know of, and neither is within an hour of Fairfax.

Smart ass.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 04:17:06 PM »
I know you're having a lot of problems with reading comprehension right now, what with the stress of losing Casa Crapshack, so I won't roust on you too hard...  laugh

Yes, National does service the nation.

But it doesn't service flights to other nations... Hence the lack of INTER before national...

Subtle difference...

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 03:04:04 AM »
You may want to bottle your soul up in advance. They're going to rip it from you anyways, and it will make the transition easier. Cheesy
Hell, they can whatever UPS hasn't already deemed to be its own.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 03:18:11 AM »
I know you're having a lot of problems with reading comprehension right now, what with the stress of losing Casa Crapshack, so I won't roust on you too hard...  laugh

Yes, National does service the nation.

But it doesn't service flights to other nations... Hence the lack of INTER before national...

Subtle difference...

You're still a smart ass.

grin
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 04:56:47 AM »
And that's why you love me.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 09:43:57 AM »

Unless you consider Canada a foreign country.   police grin

Air Canada  DCA to YYZ (Toronto)   6 nonstops a day.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 11:29:22 AM »
And that's why you love me.

No.  I love you for your boyish good looks.
JD

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »
You're starting to get creepy.

Go back to your crapshack.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 12:09:46 PM »
"Unless you consider Canada a foreign country."

You know we don't. It's the 51st state.

Actually, that's an interesting point...

While Canada is certainly a sovereign nation, and I think Jamis can speak a little better to this, it's my understanding that the airspace controls of the US and Canada are integrated like those of no two other nations.

Sort of like the integrated area code/phone numbering system (North American Numbering Plan) used by both the United States and Canada, as well as 17 other nations/territories.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 01:33:57 PM »
They are pretty well integrated; but the US has better equipment.  Certainly better radios, anyway.  Toronto Center has low quality transmitters that always makes the controller sound like he is talking through a tin can.

BTW, DCA is an international airport; they have US Customs on the field.  That is the requirement for calling an US airport international.  Now, as for why they still call themselves National, I'd guess it is the same reason that they call themselves Washington even though they are in Virginia.  It's close enough.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2008, 03:31:34 PM »
Well, tomorrow makes 2 weeks.  Hopefully, I'll hear something.  This is incredibly frustrating.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
It could be worse.  I know some GD dudes up in Sterling Heights, MI, just north of lovely Detroit.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton