Author Topic: there is no polygamy in America  (Read 2509 times)

mek42

there is no polygamy in America
« on: May 27, 2008, 03:13:13 PM »
I am tired of hearing the news using the word polygamy to describe the polygyny practiced by various Mormon and Islam sects.  Unless women have multiple husbands in addition to men having multiple wives it is polygyny, not polygamy.  (For completeness, if the case was only women having multiple husbands it would be polyandry.)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: there is no polygamy in America
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
Why are you so upset about it?

BTW, how many wives do you have?   grin
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:25:44 PM »
And it's a "magazine" - not a "clip"  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 03:32:51 PM »
I thought "polygamy" was a catchall that described both polyandry and polygyny?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mek42

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »
It's been one of those days and I just needed to rant.

One wife is quite enough, thank you!

And yes, this may be a science definition versus the general public usage thing.

But for a Garand they are clips!

Laughing at myself and feeling better now, thanks!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 03:58:11 PM »
Oh, just saw your latest post.  What annoys me is that they keep calling them "spiritual marriages."  To me, that term implies that the marriage is purely Platonic, without any sexual contact.  Extralegal or alegal would seem more appropriate terms. 

mek, where are you getting your definitions?  Going by the dictionary definitions I've seen, by common usage, and by simply looking at the roots of the words, you would appear to be quite mistaken.  So far as I know:

Polygamy is any marriage with more than two participants.  "Poly" refers to "many" and "gamy" refers (roughly) to marriage.

Polygyny means having more than one female sexual partner, regardless of marriage.

Polyandry means having more than one male sexual partner, regardless of marriage.

The only term I know of for a marriage with multiple male AND female partners is "complex marriage," as in the Oneida Colony. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »
And it's a "magazine" - not a "clip" 

bob

mek42

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:52:34 PM »
Oh, just saw your latest post.  What annoys me is that they keep calling them "spiritual marriages."  To me, that term implies that the marriage is purely Platonic, without any sexual contact.  Extralegal or alegal would seem more appropriate terms. 

mek, where are you getting your definitions?  Going by the dictionary definitions I've seen, by common usage, and by simply looking at the roots of the words, you would appear to be quite mistaken.  So far as I know:

Polygamy is any marriage with more than two participants.  "Poly" refers to "many" and "gamy" refers (roughly) to marriage.

Polygyny means having more than one female sexual partner, regardless of marriage.

Polyandry means having more than one male sexual partner, regardless of marriage.

The only term I know of for a marriage with multiple male AND female partners is "complex marriage," as in the Oneida Colony. 

I was extrapolating from the mating behavior part of the Sex, Evolution and Behavior class I took that satisfied the Women's Studies requirement in college.  I'll admit that this may not be the same as common / legal usage.  To use more words, I had thought that polygamy would require that both men with multiple wives and women with multiple husbands be allowed more or less equally within a subculture, else things would more properly be called polygyny or polyandry.  Wouldn't the big group marriage (complex) be a form of polygamy?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:34:40 PM »
Wouldn't the big group marriage (complex) be a form of polygamy?

Yeah, sure, I guess. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
Couldn't we just call it an orgy and get on with our lives?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 07:47:39 PM »

first intellegent responce i've seen on this thread.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:23:57 AM »
Actually, it's my understanding that multiple marriages are illegal in the states. Therefore, there are no multiple (legitimate) marriages in the states.

Illegitimate/extralegal partnerships tend to be outside the scope of the law, and are hardly worth calling 'multiple marriages' unless you allow that everyone with a sexually intimate girlfriend is married, and those with mistresses are also practicing multiple marriage.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 04:26:16 AM »
What is I have multiple Garands?

Am I practicing Polygarandism?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 04:32:52 AM »

first intellegent responce i've seen on this thread.

mmm okay!

One wife is too much most of the time. Why the hell would anyone want two or more?

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 06:22:38 AM »
. . . One wife is too much most of the time. Why the hell would anyone want two or more?

From, IIRC, the arab sheikh in the movie Ben-Hur:

One wife, no good.
Two wives, always fight.
Three wives, two against one.
Four wives, perfect.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 06:40:41 AM »
I can't remember who said it, but:

"The definition of Polygamy having one wife too many, while the defintion of Monogamy is having one wife too many."

cheesy laugh grin
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 07:17:14 AM »
Of course there's no polygamy.....it's illegal in the US.....that would be like saying that there are handguns in D.C........

Polygamy.....the crime that punishes itself.....  grin
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.