Author Topic: There may be [a glimmer of] hope for America  (Read 1005 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
There may be [a glimmer of] hope for America
« on: December 23, 2013, 05:02:48 PM »
Today was an interesting day. My tenth wedding anniversary is approaching, so I braved the wilds of a shopping mall to see if I could do some reconnoitering of potential gifts suitable for the occasion. I hit the mall about 1:30 p.m. so my first stop was the food court (I needed sustenance). It was raining so, although I don't usually wear hats, today I was wearing a Vietnam Veteran baseball cap.

Shortly after I sat down, a young woman got up from a nearby table, came over, and rather timidly announced that she would like to thank me for my service to our country. To say that I was shocked would be an understatement. After I had retrieved my jaw from the fllor I thanked her very much, and she went back to finish her lunch with her male companion.

A bit later, while I was still nursing my soda and struggling with the crossword puzzle, a family stopped at my table. The mother explained that her young daughter (I would estimate between 5 and 7) had seen me sitting there and felt sorry for me for being alone, so she wanted to say hello. I thanked them very much and tried to let the little girl know how much her action meant to me.

I guess not all the angels are on the tops of Christmas trees.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

tokugawa

• friend
Re: There may be [a glimmer of] hope for America
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 06:06:20 PM »
Sorta nice to run into someone who cares, eh?  =D

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Awwwww....
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 07:44:37 PM »
Sometimes, even though it's decades late, that "Thank you for your service" is nice.  I have more to say on the topic but do not want to spoil the warm fuzzies.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
I have always used Christmas at a mall as a descriptor of how America is a unique and wonderful place.  If you sit down in the middle of the mall and watch, you will see every sort of critter on hind legs; every color, religion, size, sex, rich, poor, middle of the road, hair no hair, big feet little feet ad infinitum.  If you catch an eye and smile, usually you will get one back.  I don't think there is a place on earth where so many disparate humans live, yet mostly peacefully.  317 million Americans.  When you think about that and how we all mostly get along, it's truly amazing.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 10:42:41 PM »
Try not to look homeless next time you go out ok?  =D  I only have a few service specific shirts left and I usually wear them around the military. I get pretty weirded out by the thank me for my service bit.

I have always used Christmas at a mall as a descriptor of how America is a unique and wonderful place.  If you sit down in the middle of the mall and watch, you will see every sort of critter on hind legs; every color, religion, size, sex, rich, poor, middle of the road, hair no hair, big feet little feet ad infinitum.  If you catch an eye and smile, usually you will get one back.  I don't think there is a place on earth where so many disparate humans live, yet mostly peacefully.  317 million Americans.  When you think about that and how we all mostly get along, it's truly amazing.

I think you're spot on. People that populate the APS stew may be more aware than most of the underside of humanity and of course the news and politicians make a living off of baiting out our differences, but the vast majority of people have a lot in common, including basic decency, if we stop to look around.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 01:28:02 PM »
I think the unique thing about the US and Americans in general, is that we always look to improve...everything. We may fail at that many times, but we never give up. We do not accept some preordained fate.
Thanks for sharing your story!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Try not to look homeless next time you go out ok?

I had bathed! And shaved!

I get pretty weirded out by the thank me for my service bit.

I do, too. It has only happened to me maybe twice before, and never twice in one day.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design