Author Topic: There is a sucker born every minute  (Read 904 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
There is a sucker born every minute
« on: May 15, 2019, 11:18:24 AM »
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/loon-peak-tustin-cowboy-stump-end-table-w001701039.html?source=gateway

$159 for a piece of "polished" firewood. Pine no less. I wonder what I could get for for a piece of "rustic oak"?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: There is a sucker born every minute
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:22:34 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:34:52 AM »
Both with mostly 5 star reviews! Wow.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 11:37:59 AM »
No, no, no, you don't understand.  This is not a "piece of wood."  This is a genuuine stump end-table.  Lovingly crafted and selected for it's unique and wonderful grain pattern.

You know, I just can't do it.  Even making fun of people that would pay hundreds of dollars for a stump is no fun anymore.  I mean, now that complete lunacy and idiocy is the norm I can only shake my head and hope someday the clueless will somehow die out.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
If you went to the trouble of sanding down, coating, and sealing a piece of wood, what you would want some rich guy to pay you for it?  Maybe make a matching bench out of a half log.

I love how they have multiple pictures presumably from different angles.  

I think cabinet makers probably still charge more.  

β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 12:01:30 PM »
But it's a SPECIAL stump - look at the ad and it says right there - NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED! (Just think about what IKEA would produce!)

This reminds me of an old episode of Murphy Brown (The series from a couple of decades ago, not the more recent anti-Trump reboot) in which Murphy bought her child a "hundeblock" - a block of wood - from some ritzy store at a ridiculous price.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 12:04:17 PM »
If I was closer to a "city folk" market I'd have a small fortune of "rustic" bark edge shelving sitting out in my driveway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 12:46:38 PM »
Shrug. Seems like a fair price to me.

Somebody got a decent sized pine tree, cut it (one assumes square) debarked it carefully enough to not mess up the inner layer, rounded the edges, sanded it and finished it.  Then they ship it for $154.

If you live in, say a New York suburb, and don't have a chainsaw, how would you get one cheaper?  Hell I have a chainsaw, and all the stuff I need to finish it, and if Mrs. Mush decided she HAD to have a pine stump table it'd probably cost me half that price and a weekend to make one.  (If she'd settle for Live Oak instead of Pine I could cut the cost a bit.)  There's a LOT of places in this country where you can't just walk out and cut down a big pine tree for the stump.

Sure, If you have a sawmill handy, and are willing to take what they got, and can finish wood, and consider your time to have no value, you could get that cheaper, but probably not a whole ton cheaper.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 12:52:36 PM »
Someone somewhere is looking at that and thinking that's a big carrot
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:05:13 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 01:07:24 PM »
I have a line of pine trees along the front of my lot that I've been wanting to take down.

Problem: My town doesn't have a stump dump.

Solution: Strip the bark, apply some varnish, call the logs "furniture," and have people pay me to take them away.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »
I love rustic furniture, but they didn't put much effort into making that attractive.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »
As absurd as the concept is, the price seems fair, especially with shipping included.
You don't want to know what women pay for birch sticks...they have been in such high demand, that people have been 'poaching' sticks from trees on private and public lands... https://www.etsy.com/market/white_birch_sticks
https://birchbarkstore.com/collections/birch-poles-furniture-logs

If you live in a city, getting a stump can be difficult.
I only recently got a decent stump for my anvil after cutting down a few ash trees... its drying out in my barn right now. I've used 2x12s stood on end and laminated together until now.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 01:47:34 PM »
Just remembered I had someone order a $500 faucet with my CC number off that same site. Apparently they didn't bother to question the fact the del address didn't match the CC address for a $500 item. After fighting with them for a refund with no result discover card went ahead and issued me a credit and then went after them for the money. What happened after that I don't know. I do know discover card was not happy.
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »
Just remembered I had someone order a $500 faucet with my CC number off that same site. Apparently they didn't bother to question the fact the del address didn't match the CC address for a $500 item. After fighting with them for a refund with no result discover card went ahead and issued me a credit and then went after them for the money. What happened after that I don't know.

Weird. I ordered my wedding rings off etsy, and my credit card company immediately locked down my accounts.

Barack Obama

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Re: Re: There is a sucker born every minute
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
As absurd as the concept is, the price seems fair, especially with shipping included.

Yeah. At 53 pounds, I'm sure that chews up a bit of the cost.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 01:54:13 PM »
Weird. I ordered my wedding rings off etsy, and my credit card company immediately locked down my accounts.

Not sure what happened.
Also had someone order $1,200 worth of vitamins with my CC number once. Yes vitamins.
- Calvin and Hobbes

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 01:57:17 PM »
Not sure what happened.
Also had someone order $1,200 worth of vitamins with my CC number one. Yes vitamins.
ouch
I had 2 charges one day, both for under $2 ea at a toy shop in london once, the CC card locked it down and their fraud department called me. They said something to the effect, that thieves try making small purchases to see if the card is valid sometimes. It sucked, because I had to wait about 2 weeks to get my new card, and I do nearly all my purchases on a card.

Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/loon-peak-tustin-cowboy-stump-end-table-w001701039.html?source=gateway

$159 for a piece of "polished" firewood. Pine no less. I wonder what I could get for for a piece of "rustic oak"?

If they have, oh, two hours or so in cumulative time investment, that's $80/hr less expenses. I don't see that as terribly out of line.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2019, 01:58:44 PM »
ouch
I had 2 charges one day, both for under $2 ea at a toy shop in london once, the CC card locked it down and their fraud department called me. They said something to the effect, that thieves try making small purchases to see if the card is valid sometimes. It sucked, because I had to wait about 2 weeks to get my new card, and I do nearly all my purchases on a card.

Two weeks? DC overnighted a new card at their expense.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »
$500, That had to be one fancy faucet
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2019, 02:13:41 PM »
$500, That had to be one fancy faucet

Bath and kitchen fixtures are just stupid expensive these days. The markup on them is just as bad as, if not worse, than furniture and jewelry.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2019, 03:43:03 PM »
I may have to make up a couple of rustic stump tables for my wife's flea market/consignment  booth. She has sold some seriously fugly stuff out of it..
A couple pieces of firewood, a rough cut oak board and viola' I'm in the money.
 :rofl:

Samuel Adams