Author Topic: Korean War vet being detained operated a guerrilla unit during the war  (Read 10994 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Re: Korean War vet being detained operated a guerrilla unit during the war
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 11:05:05 PM »
Im glad that you reminded me of those idiots...some idiots are dumber than most...

Im just astounded that someone said "You know what? Life isnt exciting enough. Forget a vacation to the Bahamas, we're gonna go visit sunny North Korea or go hiking in Iraq along the Iranian border"

What ended up happening to those retards anyway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9311_detention_of_American_hikers_by_Iran

Sarah Shourd was released 14 months later on "humanitarian grounds".[4] Bauer and Fattal were convicted of "illegal entry" and "espionage" two years after their arrest and each sentenced to eight years in prison,[5] but were released on September 21, 2011. Each of the detainees was released after payment of 5 billion rial[6] (about US$465,000)[7] bail.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 06:20:55 PM »
After he "confessed." Standard operating procedure political theater.

He is supposed to be a reasonably intelligent man. Does he not know that the Korean conflict did NOT end? There was no treaty -- there was a truce, which is essentially a cease-fire. We are still pretty much at war with North Korea, at least as much as we were fifty+ years ago (no formal declaration of wear by the Congress, but we didn't have one for Vietnam or Iraq or Afghanistan, either).

How logical would it have been for an American infantryman during WW2 to decide to take a little vacation trip to, say, Berlin?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 06:54:52 PM »
After he "confessed." Standard operating procedure political theater.

He is supposed to be a reasonably intelligent man. Does he not know that the Korean conflict did NOT end? There was no treaty -- there was a truce, which is essentially a cease-fire. We are still pretty much at war with North Korea, at least as much as we were fifty+ years ago (no formal declaration of wear by the Congress, but we didn't have one for Vietnam or Iraq or Afghanistan, either).

How logical would it have been for an American infantryman during WW2 to decide to take a little vacation trip to, say, Berlin?

The ceasefire vs actual peace treaty isnt that revelant here...the fact that NK is run by a bunch of paychos is. A Vietnam vet can visit VN without the worry of being imprisoned for theater, just as a WWII vet can visit one of the Axis nations without a problem. And hell an American can visit Russia too. But NK is the embodiement of crazy...no rationality at all.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 12:38:25 AM »
If by "widely suspected" you mean "accused by the Iranian government without a shred of proof", yes.

Hostage-taking is a well-established Iranian tradition, as you may recall.

Doesn't mean it ain't true. Doesn't mean it is, but I don't to trust the CIA to be any more honest than the mullahs.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »
The ceasefire vs actual peace treaty isnt that revelant here...the fact that NK is run by a bunch of paychos is. A Vietnam vet can visit VN without the worry of being imprisoned for theater, just as a WWII vet can visit one of the Axis nations without a problem. And hell an American can visit Russia too. But NK is the embodiement of crazy...no rationality at all.

during a ceasefire, couldn't one still be tried as a spy for crossing enemy lines out of uniform?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2013, 10:33:22 AM »
during a ceasefire, couldn't one still be tried as a spy for crossing enemy lines out of uniform?

Doesnt matter. Even if there was an actual peace treaty vs cease fire they would still pull this *expletive deleted*it.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »

But we are no longer "at war" with Vietnam, with Germany, with Italy, or with Japan. There's no denying that NK is crazy, but the fact remains that today we are still as much "at war" with them as we were in the 1950s. NK and SK are separated by a demilitarized zone, across which two hostile armies face one another. There is no comparison between that and a WW2 serviceman visiting today's Germany or Japan.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 12:49:52 PM »
Why would you even go to North Korea in the first place?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 02:24:22 PM »

That is my question as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2013, 02:32:37 PM »
That is my question as well.

to look up an old flame?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 02:48:07 PM »
They would not welcome us with open arms but damn near every Nork would fight to the death.

Which pretty well handles the problem of fixing the brainwashing.

Over one-third of Norks work in agriculture, yet they are severely malnourished, as without large quantities of ROK and US food aid the population would starve.

Aha!!  My brilliant strategic mind has found a way to defeat them much more cheaply than war.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2013, 05:23:30 PM »
But we are no longer "at war" with Vietnam, with Germany, with Italy, or with Japan. There's no denying that NK is crazy, but the fact remains that today we are still as much "at war" with them as we were in the 1950s. NK and SK are separated by a demilitarized zone, across which two hostile armies face one another. There is no comparison between that and a WW2 serviceman visiting today's Germany or Japan.
Not to mention the fact that the USA defeated Germany and Japan and they both surrendered.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »

What I'm saying is that it does not matter cease fire vs actual peace treaty in that NK would behave the same way...much like Iran pulls thier *expletive deleted*, NK does the same thing. They know they can get away with it (for now). That's why NK commits hostile acts against SK and the US, kidnaps SK and Japanese citizens, and so on...they know damn well that they can get away with it, much like a toddler who throws many temper tantrums because their parents are unwilling to punish them effectively. Many other nations who have been our enemies in the past do not pull this crap.

KD5NRH

• friends
Many other nations who have been our enemies in the past do not pull this crap.

Anybody else think after 200 years, Libya needs a refresher course in how to treat countries that have proven they can stomp a mudhole in your pathetic little third world empire?  It's sort of on the way to NK anyway.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.

I'd go.Seriously.
I've watched a few videos were folks(Brits usually)have gone in for a tour.
The countryside(at least in the summer)looks beautiful.I've wondered for decades at the minds of those who build and regularly parade their military might.I was born in 1969.When I was about 10-11 years old I started to see(and understand a bit of what I was seeing)in class videos of German(Nazi) and Soviet(current) military stuff.I was impressed by the intimidating,stern men watching as thousands either marched or cheered.I remember being impressed by the massive effort these countries put forth into building that mass.Twenty five years later I have a much better understanding of the costs incurred along the way.I'd like an opportunity to see such up close before it's gone.

Frankly,I wish we(everyone,everywhere)could go to North Korea.I believe that it's a perfect lesson of how not to do things,and would have educational value.

As to the subject of war on the peninsula?
The Russians would stick their noses in for no other reason than Ukraine.For myself I'd expect not a whole lot of involvement.A battle w/the North is a certain loser for everyone.
I believe that the Chinese would be divided.They know he's crazy,and no profit to be made,they know that no one(except maybe the North)are going to invade China.They might well just drop supplies off at the border,condem SK and the USA in the press,and keep on w/busuness as usual.
South Korea?I dunno,lots of mixed thought about them.Quite a few not APS-able.
Japan?Could probably kiss a whole lot of Japan goodbye.Japanese involvement could bring in China.

What frosts my cookies is that these sovereign nations would drag the US into a shooting war.A war that would bring international commerce to its knees for years.
Their are some HUGE industries there that touch every corner of the world(Fuji Heavy Industries & Hyundai Group both leap to mind).Crippling.

I wonder how much food that have in reserve?And how long they'd last if the appeasement aid were stopped.And of course,how long after that before there was war again?

I dunno.I would go though.A nice quiet vacation.

jeff w

I like onions!

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Interesting.Forty posts but close to 1600 views.I wonder how many of those are web bots and such vs.APS members?

Any way to tell?
jeff w

I like onions!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Not quite old enough to qualify for thread necromancy, but still living dead-ish territory.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Not quite old enough to qualify for thread necromancy, but still living dead-ish territory.

Brad

Holy crap.How'd that happen?I responded to a front page "new"post.At least I thought I did.
Weird.And answers my second question.
jeff w

I like onions!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Holy crap.How'd that happen?I responded to a front page "new"post.At least I thought I did.
Weird.And answers my second question.

You didn't revive it, KD5NRH did.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
You didn't revive it, KD5NRH did.  ;)

And I'm still not sure how; I haven't gone looking for ancient posts that desperately need a "LOL!" "+1" or "TL:DR" lately.