Author Topic: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US  (Read 7008 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US
« Reply #125 on: February 07, 2023, 02:16:30 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2023, 02:19:52 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2023, 02:26:42 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2023, 05:55:39 PM »
Moar balloonacy pleez
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2023, 07:24:30 PM »
I saw this and wondered if we will start seeing narco balloons coming up from the South.  The military will take them out at the Northern border.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2023, 07:26:57 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2023, 07:30:09 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2023, 07:35:02 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2023, 07:36:42 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2023, 10:27:56 AM »
https://amgreatness.com/2023/02/07/did-biden-tell-china-to-send-the-balloon/

The gist is that Biden decided unilaterally to add China to the Open Skies treaty. He gave them permission to fly the balloon, and was hoping no one would notice.

Just speculation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2023, 10:58:42 AM »
I eagerly await the U2 overflight of China. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2023, 10:59:15 AM »
I seriously doubt we'll ever know the whole story or be able to reliably separate the true story from all the noise
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2023, 06:21:39 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2023, 07:07:10 PM »
There have been previous attempts to shoot down errant high altitude weather balloons from fighter aircraft.  Despite it seeming to be a simple task, it really hasn't worked all that well.  Below is a link to one occasion where CF-18s (Canuck F-18) expended over 1000 rounds of 20mm and weren't successful in bringing down a balloon.

https://www.businessinsider.com/runaway-weather-balloon-fighter-jets-history-2023-2?op=1

The History Guy chimes in:

https://youtu.be/yqC9ICdfhQM
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2023, 02:37:41 PM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2023, 10:18:25 AM »
Now Biden is down playing this

Biden says Chinese spy balloon was 'NOT a major breach' because all countries gather intelligence, and defends waiting to shoot it down - despite it being able to collect Americans' communications
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11736281/Biden-says-Chinese-spy-balloon-NOT-major-breach.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2023, 11:32:01 AM »
Now Biden is down playing this

Biden says Chinese spy balloon was 'NOT a major breach' because all countries gather intelligence, and defends waiting to shoot it down - despite it being able to collect Americans' communications
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11736281/Biden-says-Chinese-spy-balloon-NOT-major-breach.html

As one of the pioneers of aerial intelligence gathering, I agree it is somewhat hypocritical of the USA criticizing other countries for doing the same thing.  We were also the originators of 'navigational mistakes' explaining why our aircraft just happened to stray across a border and take pictures of intelligence value.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2023, 11:37:23 AM »
As one of the pioneers of aerial intelligence gathering, I agree it is somewhat hypocritical of the USA criticizing other countries for doing the same thing.  We were also the originators of 'navigational mistakes' explaining why our aircraft just happened to stray across a border and take pictures of intelligence value.

No argument there.
It's the about face that gets me. It's a big deal! then just kidding.
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #144 on: February 11, 2023, 12:14:20 PM »
^
He forgot who he was working for at first.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #145 on: February 11, 2023, 06:48:51 PM »
And a 3rd "object" shot down over Canada this afternoon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #146 on: February 11, 2023, 07:21:32 PM »
The second and third objects were just swamp gas.  That's easy stuff to shoot down.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #147 on: February 11, 2023, 11:25:06 PM »
F-15 Fighter Pilot Explains Why Latest Object Shot Down Over Alaska Is ‘Unusual’
https://www.dailywire.com/news/f-15-fighter-pilot-explains-why-latest-object-shot-down-over-alaska-is-unusual
The unidentified object reportedly had a “cylindrical shape” and was much smaller in size than the Chinese spy balloon that was shot down last week.

“We have no further details about the object at this time, including any description of its capabilities, purpose or origin,” said Pentagon spokesperson Brig. Gen. Pat Ryder. “The object was about the size of a small car, so not similar in size or shape to the high-altitude surveillance balloon that was taken down off the coast of South Carolina.”

U.S. Military, NORAD Release New Statement About Object Shot Down Over Alaska
https://www.dailywire.com/news/u-s-military-norad-release-new-statement-about-object-shot-down-over-alaska
“Recovery operations continue today near Deadhorse, Alaska. U.S. Northern Command’s Alaska Command and the Alaska National Guard, in close coordination with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and local law enforcement, are conducting search and recovery activities,” the statement said. “Arctic weather conditions, including wind chill, snow, and limited daylight, are a factor in this operation, and personnel will adjust recovery operations to maintain safety.”

U.S. officials said that the recovery operations were happening on sea ice and there was not any additional information at this time about the object, including its capabilities, purpose, or origin.

Strange things are afoot.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #148 on: February 11, 2023, 11:29:52 PM »
U.S. Military Unable To Find Alleged Object That Caused FAA To Close Airspace In Montana
https://www.dailywire.com/news/u-s-military-unable-to-find-alleged-object-that-caused-faa-to-close-airspace-in-montana

I hope everyone has their transponders working and stay in communication.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #149 on: February 11, 2023, 11:40:14 PM »
All of my Mil and GOV contacts have retired so I can't get any info. Is this all distraction or something to worry about?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG