Author Topic: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US  (Read 6992 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Pentagon decides not to shoot down Chinese spy balloon over US
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2023, 12:11:59 AM »
All of my Mil and GOV contacts have retired so I can't get any info. Is this all distraction or something to worry about?

It's always a distraction, even when it's something to worry about.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2023, 01:25:23 AM »
All of my Mil and GOV contacts have retired so I can't get any info. Is this all distraction or something to worry about?

Yes.
Formerly sumpnz

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2023, 02:35:19 AM »
It's always a distraction, even when it's something to worry about.
I heard someone mention a train derailment in Ohio. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2023, 07:54:08 AM »
Interesting that the third "object" could be shot down over land with a 9X without any "but people!" stuff.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pentagon-says-us-detected-third-flying-object-alaska-day-shooting-canada
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2023, 08:17:59 AM »
Interesting that the third "object" could be shot down over land with a 9X without any "but people!" stuff.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pentagon-says-us-detected-third-flying-object-alaska-day-shooting-canada

Canada is obviously not as worried about their citizens subjects as we are about ours.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2023, 08:36:06 AM »
Canada is obviously not as worried about their citizens subjects as we are about ours.
Accidently taking out some useless eaters might be considered a bonus benefit.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #156 on: February 12, 2023, 08:45:51 AM »
Could be Canadians aren't as sue happy as Americans
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: February 12, 2023, 08:57:13 AM »
Canada is mostly unoccupied.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2023, 10:33:35 AM »
Canada is mostly unoccupied.
An overwhelming majority of Canadiens live within 100 miles of our border.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #159 on: February 12, 2023, 10:50:09 AM »
An overwhelming majority of Canadiens live within 100 miles of our border.

If you look at the googles maps, there's a pretty good correlation within 50ish miles of the border from Washington to at least North Dakota: Wherever we have a population center (large or small) so does Canada, and wherever Canada has empty lands and no roads, so do we. Depending on where in Montana they would have shot the first balloon down, they would probably have had less chance of hitting a human structure than they would have hitting a boat off South Carolina.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #160 on: February 12, 2023, 04:52:25 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #162 on: February 12, 2023, 08:33:03 PM »
At this point they've got to be shooting down actual civilian weather balloons or else elaborate youtube prank balloons. Come on, man.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #163 on: February 12, 2023, 08:47:45 PM »
It's swamp gas, I tell ya'!  Swamp gas!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #164 on: February 12, 2023, 09:27:47 PM »
It's swamp gas, I tell ya'!  Swamp gas!

Project Bluebook.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2023, 10:16:28 PM »
I saw an excerpt earlier of some unnamed source talking about the military had adjusted their radar software .  Supposedly the system was set up to kick out contacts that were moving too slow.  Might have been more to it.  I don't know anything about modern radar systems.  The idea that someone was trying to find ways to penetrate US air defense system isn't too far fetched. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2023, 10:37:44 PM »
In other news: The Gondax Galactic Empire has ordered the glassing of earth after it's emissary bearing gifts of infinite energy and wealth, and eternal life to the the people of earth was shot down by earth forces. They had hoped that by coming in a ship made to look like the intergalactic symbol of peace, a balloon, it would be greeted warmly, they were wrong.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 09:00:43 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2023, 10:43:46 PM »
I thought it was the Vogons and told everyone to grab a towel.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2023, 10:50:25 PM »
I thought it was the Vogons and told everyone to grab a towel.

Given a choice between listening to Vogon poetry and glassing I'll take the glassing.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2023, 09:26:54 AM »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2023, 09:31:19 AM »
Given a choice between listening to Vogon poetry and glassing I'll take the glassing.

Is that better or worse than Klingon Opera?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2023, 10:25:44 AM »
Talked to a buddy who is a retired F-16 driver.  First, he's wondering why he didn't get a chance to do some fighter skeet shooting.  Then, when the jokes died down, he expressed concerns about someone...and he mentioned the North Koerans, using balloons to fly an EMP weapon/device over here and cause havoc in a major metro area, if not a larger area given how the electric distribution network is so intertwined in CONUS.

Check your supplies, kids.  And maybe watch that movie American Blackout that National Geographic put out in 2013.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »
That does make me curious how well our air search radar detects balloons whether at high altitude or not.  And how good our detection coverage actually is.

As I mentioned above, I saw someone mention that our systems were filtering out stuff the may have included these balloons and we had to make adjustments to stop that.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2023, 10:57:59 AM »
I'm thinking they just don't want to admit they've been letting these things float around unhindered for years.
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »
Here's a thought: What if the big balloon was a delivery 'mother ship" and it dropped off those three other UFO's? Inquiring conspiracy theorists want to know.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood