Author Topic: Thank you OLEG  (Read 12264 times)

Moondoggie

• friend
Thank you OLEG
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2005, 03:12:59 PM »
Also many thanks for the new forum.  Looking forward to the discourse.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

P95Carry

Thank you OLEG
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2005, 08:27:26 AM »
Good work Oleg, tyme and Derek.

Hi y'all .... just cruisin' by from the ''day job'' LOL

Now - y'all be good ya hear  cheesy
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

fiVe

Thank you OLEG
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2005, 08:53:20 AM »
Oleg, Tyme, and Derek,

Thanks so much.  I'm glad to see that the Round Table lives.  This is a REAL treat.

Regards,

fiVe
When you heed the call to battle, let your witness be as steel.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Thank you OLEG
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2005, 09:04:07 AM »
Another thank you.  I promise to be good, eat my veggies and not spit on the floor.

Smiley

Well, I can't promise to eat my veggies, but thanks anyways  Cheesy
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Michigander

• friend
Thank you OLEG
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2005, 09:08:23 AM »
Many thanks Oleg and anyone else who helped get the Armed Polite Society up and running.

Many, many thanks.
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about?

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
Thank you OLEG
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2005, 10:05:08 AM »
The Society seems to be more like up and lounging at the moment ;-)

P95Carry

Thank you OLEG
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2005, 10:46:33 AM »
OK guys ... you heard Oleg - break out the hardware and munitions!!

Mind you - it is the weekend. Cheesy
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Thank you OLEG
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2005, 01:49:58 PM »
Thank you, Oleg. This should be a really interesting experiment.

And I promise, before all present, to be polite at all times. Given that I live in Wisconsin, though, I can't promise to be armed at all times. Wink

Thefumegator

Thank you OLEG
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »
Oleg, thank you very much. I know I wasn't the only person who felt like something was missing when RT closed, and I didn't really know what to do with myself.

This solves that. I really appreciate that you hear us out, even if some of the suggestions are ridiculous. Smiley

Thanks again,
Wes
*This space for rent, inquire within*

Darkmind

Thank you OLEG
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2005, 11:35:55 PM »
Thank you very much Sir!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

SEMPER FI

spinr

Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2006, 05:12:39 PM »
Well I made it.  Posting from the hotel room.  Been here since about 1530 Sunday.

I left shortly after midnight on Sunday.  Seemingly crazy, but I avoided a lot of traffic during those wee morning hours.  Stopped every few hours, even caught a quick nap in a rest area halfway between Nashville and Memphis.  About 900 miles and 15/16 hours or so; a good trip by all accounts.

Speaking of Memphis, having driven through it I think I have a better apprecitation for Elvis's 'In The Ghetto.' shocked

As for the Big D, y'all weren't kidding about the drivers around here...  Just a bunch of crazy-ass kamikaze mo-fo's!  Accordingly, I've quickly developed a healthy, but judicious disregard for most traffic laws. Cheesy

I did kind of get lost today.  Hit the wrong on-ramp and ended up around the Southeast part of town, I think.  I don't recall going through a Customs checkpoint, but I'm pretty sure I was somewhere in Mexico...  Tongue

Just a couple more days and I head back.  Gonna' try to stop by Dealy Plaza and take some pictures.  I drove by it today, but didn't stop.  Anyone know if you have to pay to park there?  I couldn't get a good look, but it appeared there were signs indication you had to pay to park in the lot immediately adjacent to the book depository bldg.  I'm kinda' cheap and don't want to pay just to park for 15-20 minutes while I snap a few shots outside the building.

Thanks again for everyones input in my last thread; it's been most helpful.

Take care,
Steve

Smiley

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
I'm kinda' cheap and don't want to pay just to park for 15-20 minutes while I snap a few shots outside the building.
So spend an extra hour or so and go through the museum in the book depository building.

http://www.jfk.org/Home.htm

Just a thought.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2006, 06:24:20 PM »
Don't forget to throw a handful of tarnished rifle brass randomly into the grass at Dealy Plaza.

I do every time I visit there.  Cheesy
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2006, 09:14:53 PM »
Me too. I always seed the Grassy Knoll come late October. When I worked in the Federal Building across from there I'd always watch the Japanese tourists freaking out when they found one of my little Easter eggs.

Any caliber will do.

There's a very limited amount of on-street parking down there. You do NOT want a City of Dallas parking ticket, so stoke that meter and don't be afraid to leave something on it for the next guy.  I used to park in the lot south of Union Station down Houston St. Over by the West End, behind the School Book Depository is closer, and probably safer after dark.

Oh, and you're going to be surprised just how small Dealey Plaza is.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

CatsDieNow

• friend
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2006, 04:37:50 AM »
Here's one driving tip for you:  Texans have no concept of what a yield sign means - especially those one that say "YIELD TO RAMP".   J

I have been attempting to teach them, but I haven't been to Dallas too much.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2006, 04:43:46 AM »
Cats, have you tried sock puppets?

Found good restaurants downtown Dallas?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

TarpleyG

• friend
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2006, 05:07:25 AM »
So spend an extra hour or so and go through the museum in the book depository building.
I definitely recommend this too.

Here's one driving tip for you:  Texans have no concept of what a yield sign means - especially those one that say "YIELD TO RAMP".
Here's what I think happened to cause this: about 1998 or maybe earlier, I started noticing an increasing number of newer/remodeled off ramps where they built in a lane specifically for the people exiting and they had no obligation to yield AS LONG AS THEY REMAINED IN THAT SAME LANE.  Other, older exit ramps have a yield sign and the newer ones don't.  This led to confusion on the driver's part and now no one yields regardless of what's there.  Pet peeve of mine before moving.

Greg

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2006, 08:19:53 AM »
Chow
Lots of good places for chow
Deep Ellum (east of dntn) has lots of good eateries.
Angry Dog: good burgers & dogs
Monica's : good SW/fusion chow.  Do not go alone, unless you like to be hit on by the same sex.
Cafe Brazil: Good coffee and really good chorizo, eggs, & rosemary taters
Vern's Place: (Main St all the way to the west side of Deep Ellum) awsome soul food.  I can not say enough about the awesome food at teeny-tiny prices.  It takes a force of wil to NOT go there after church every Sunday for lunch.

West End (near Dealy Plaza)
Lots of chain restaurants
YO Ranch Restaurant: Good western fare to include steak, chicken fried steak, more steak, and taters.

Tinfoil Hattery

Go to the book depository to get more perspective on the JFK vs LHO fun & games.  Most likely, you'll leave thinking, "What are those authors & tinfoil hatters all worked up over?"

If you have $15 & another hour to blow, firmly affix some tinfoil to your cranium and check out the Conspiracy Museum.

It is the intellectual (yuck yuck!) focus of all tinfoil hattery.  You will learn nothing of use, except that conspiracy theorists do not know whow to use a spell-checker.  It is like watching a slow-mo train wreck of a diseased brain, yet somehow humorous.   One day I'll learn not to laugh at the mentally challenged (conspiracy theorists).  I will then be a better man.

Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
I always seed the Grassy Knoll come late October
You are a bad, bad man.  We need more like you...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2006, 06:36:30 PM »
quote {Monica's : good SW/fusion chow.  Do not go alone, unless you like to be hit on by the same sex.}

Extra points to those who knew Monica when she was a MAN.

He/She was passable -looking as a guy (married, and a father of children). Damned scary looking as a woman, and a gay woman at that. He/She didn't switch sides completely, I suppose.  Ran for Dallas city council in the last election, too.

Y.O. Ranch had game meat last time I was there. Elk steaks.

Landry's isn't too bad for seafood, but Aw Shucks and Fish on Fire are more fun.

Saltgrass Steak House has a mean porterhouse plus Shiner on draught.

Kellers has good, cheap greasy cheeseburgers and an ever-changing car/bike/chick show in the parking lot.

www.guidelive.com can be your friend.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2006, 08:09:15 PM »
Quote from: spin180
As for the Big D, y'all weren't kidding about the drivers around here...  Smiley
My Dallas driving horror stories, and I've only been through there about five times.

1. Road Rager threw beer bottles at my dad's car while we were driving, about two or three of them.

2.  I almost side-swiped a motorcycle cop.  After standing at parade rest and apologizing repeatedly, he told me to get out of his AO ASAP.  I think he wanted to beat me to a pulp, or at least arrest me, but it was 0230, and I think he was more interested in just going home to bed.

3.  While driving the speed limit down the freeway during broad day-light, a police dept. truck, narc division, with no radar, pulled me over.  He claimed he had paced me at ten miles over the limit, and then asked to search my car, and I consented.  I guess a white guy, Vietnamese guy and Puerto Rican/Filipino, all with high and tight haircuts, in an old Celebrity, fit some profile.  I wonder what Nguyen was doing back there?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stand_watie

• friend
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2006, 09:11:10 PM »
Quote from: fistful
3.  While driving the speed limit down the freeway during broad day-light...
Driving the speed limit in Dallas is suspicious in and of itself. Or possibly the white/puerto rican guys in an old car with a vietnamese. Some of our Nguyen's are pretty well heeled - he might've thought you were kidnapping him for ransom Smiley  (his first name wasn't Van was it? Wink )
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

CatsDieNow

• friend
Dallas, Actual.
« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2006, 07:02:37 AM »
El T,

No, I cut them off after they fail to yield and display the replica yield sign that I printed out while they curse at me at the traffic light.  Some of them still don't get it and think I was in the wrong.  Perhaps sock puppets with signs...

They have issues with turning into their own lane on double left turns, too.

Fistful,

If you were driving the speed limit and were not in the left lane, then that IS downright suspicous behavior.