Author Topic: Chrome mobil browser question  (Read 699 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Chrome mobil browser question
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:22:01 PM »
My Galaxy S3's native browser has become frustratingly unstable due to lack of updates. As a result I've switched to Chrome's mobile browser app. Seems fine except for opening new tabs, a feature I use a lot.  One issue is the browser's insistence on leaving the original page on top rather than opening the new tab as the viewed tab. It's not a deal killer but it is kinda a pain.

A cursory search has yielded no obvious setting/solution. Oh ye of APS, what manner of knowledge dos't thou bestow upon me for resolution?

Brad

P.S.  I tried detcord. It worked but I'm too lazy to clean up the mess.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
Re: Chrome mobil browser question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »
What version of Android are you running?

Chrome doesn't do that for me, and a GS3 is old enough you might be running into wierd software/hardware quirks.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 01:11:28 PM »
How Chrome handles new pages/tabs in phones varies.

My iPhone 6+, each new tab has to be closed manually, but can be accessed from the Chrome for iOS tab menu.

On my Galaxy s5, hitting "back" closes the tab and reverts to the last one that was open or that launched that new page/tab.

If I want to select among the tabs or close them out manually however, there is no longer a tab menu, they only all show up as active tasks in the stack from the s5 menu/tasks button, and I have to X-them out,  or flick them away from there.

So how Chrome handles tabs is really a mix of Chrome, the phone OS, and even in Android, a mix of Chrome and the particular phone/flavor of Android it's running and what soft-buttons or perma-buttons your phone has on it's face.

Honestly, any Android you've been using for more than a year probably would benefit from a backup, wipe, and factory-reset from the bootloader/recovery menu. (Usually some combination of the power, home, and one of the volume keys when powering up) Then (re)running all updates offered by your carrier, and bringing down all your apps from the Google Play Store again.

If that seems too drastic, try wiping the cache partition from the bootloader/recovery menu at least.

I promise not to duck.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 02:53:44 PM »
Dog,

4.4.2 with no updates available. Apparently the phone is incabaple of running later versions.

AJ,

Manipulating tabs after they are open is no prob. What I want is for the "Open in new tab" command to open the new tab on top, not under the existing tab. If I tap to open a link it puts the new tab on top. However, if I do the hold-to-bring-up-the-tab-menu bit and tell the browser to open in a new tab it puts the newly opened tab under the original. I use this function a lot, preferring to leave the original page/tab in a pristine state. I can switch manually after that.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 05:30:11 PM »
Dog,

4.4.2 with no updates available. Apparently the phone is incabaple of running later versions.

AJ,

Manipulating tabs after they are open is no prob. What I want is for the "Open in new tab" command to open the new tab on top, not under the existing tab. If I tap to open a link it puts the new tab on top. However, if I do the hold-to-bring-up-the-tab-menu bit and tell the browser to open in a new tab it puts the newly opened tab under the original. I use this function a lot, preferring to leave the original page/tab in a pristine state. I can switch manually after that.

Brad

Ah THAT... yes. My s5 is the same way. Despite all the updates.
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 08:04:42 PM »
Yeah, that went away in the later android 5 builds on my phone. I don't recall which. I'm on 6 now and a GS6, and it works as you'd prefer.

Not much help, but it's some combination of Android and Samsung's interface. Sorry.