Author Topic: Someone missed a turn  (Read 397 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Someone missed a turn
« on: February 12, 2022, 02:14:00 PM »
Yikes
Unfortunately the news link isn't working

Semi-Truck Wreckage - Wolf Creek Pass, Colorado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWKr6E-xtOc
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Someone missed a turn
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 02:53:55 PM »
Pretty good footage.  Good use for a drone.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 06:23:27 PM »
Driver did not survive, unfortunately.  The first two times I drove from Phoenix to Colorado Springs, I went the US160 route through Wolf Creek Pass.  Very scenic.  Not a nice run for big rigs as I remember.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 11:22:09 PM »
It's an incredibly beautiful drive but also a dangerous one. Much better now than when it was a narrow 2-lane full of blind turns, long sections of 7%+ grades, few guardrails, and no margin for error, but still a drive that demands concentration and undivided attention. The corner shown in the vid is a notorious killer. It's a hard switchback at the bottom of one of the longest steep grades just south of Wolf Creek Pass. It may only be a few miles of road but it's very heavily traveled with lots of truck traffic. A guy from my hometown died there in the 60's. Truck lost brakes and off he went. Incidents happen often enough that WCP has a dedicated CDOT runoff ramp & guardrail repair crew. For any drive over the pass it's pretty much guaranteed you'll see at least one truck trailing brake smoke.

On the flipside, you don't see a lot of texting and driving. White knuckles and panicked looks, however...

Brad
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 11:44:04 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2022, 08:37:08 AM »
I have a friend who fell asleep while driving up through Colorado. He woke up two weeks after the crash in a hospital. Took him a year to mostly recover. They couldn't believe he survived. The roof of his Jeep was sheared off and it tumbled down the side of a deep ravine.

When I get tired I find a place to stop and sleep. I'm not the iron man behind the wheel I used to be, plus they don't sell Stacker anymore :)
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.