Author Topic: Asset Seizure  (Read 4653 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Asset Seizure
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:47:59 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/16/us-usa-police-holder-idUSKBN0KP29F20150116

U.S. attorney general bans asset seizure by local police

Looks like a step in the right direction, but more info is needed as I don't trust Holder. I did notice the last line excluded firearms.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:46:24 PM by scout26 »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Asset Seisure
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:50:55 PM »
Bad headline. Misleads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:04:08 PM »

"State and local police in the United States will no longer be able to use federal laws to justify seizing property without evidence of a crime."

Only applicable to federal law. And I wonder if federal law enforcement will be stopping their warrantless seizures.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
Will local LE get a cut of seizures if they tip off the feds or gather evidence for them?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 05:57:19 PM »
Possibly a step in the right direction. I read yesterday that a Republican in CO is pushing legislation on the state level, and he specifically mentioned forbidding state and local police to bring in the feds, because it's apparently how they've been getting around current state regs restricting asset seizure. There are apparently cases where it's illegal for them to seize on their own, but if they make it a joint investigation with the feds, it bypasses state level restrictions and they split the take 50/50 with fed LE.

The whole thing is a racket. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If asset forfeiture doesn't go away or get severely restricted, they need to at least prohibit the money from going to LE or the courts. It should be designated for libraries or fixing potholes or similar. That would reduce seizure cases all by itself.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 05:58:28 PM »
Most states have their own assets forfeiture. The Feds just streamlined the paperwork in exchange for a cut

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 06:24:59 PM »
The whole thing is a racket. I've said it before and I'll say it again: If asset forfeiture doesn't go away or get severely restricted, they need to at least prohibit the money from going to LE or the courts. It should be designated for libraries or fixing potholes or similar. That would reduce seizure cases all by itself.

Use it to finance scholarships at a law school   >:D

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »
Most states have their own assets forfeiture. The Feds just streamlined the paperwork in exchange for a cut

Perhaps, but several states saw the abuses happen and restricted the process at a state level, only for the police to start making everything 'joint' and doing it anyways.  So it has to be fixed at both state and federal level.

I think I'm going to email my state representatives again.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/stop-and-seize/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/10/11/cash-seizures-fuel-police-spending/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks - has a GREAT video of an officer testifying as to how they spent the money they seized.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 07:40:42 PM »
Cheaper to simply take a cut of the action.  Every mob operations knows that.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »
Yeah, but as Ben notes the Feds also help the locals get around other restrictions.  Many states do things like force seized assets to go to the school fund or similar. Doesn't exactly fix the problem, but removed some of the worst incentives.  However, the Feds would adopt cases and send the money back to the local agency instead of where the state wanted it to go.

Asset forfeiture outside of criminal conviction is one of the most bizarrely corrupt features of US law enforcement.

• friends
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:13 AM »
Oh no. I think that honor goes to institutionalized plea bargains

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:17 AM »
If there has been no crime committed and the person isn't restricted from owning them firearms aren't dangerous to the public.

The order directs federal agencies who have collected property during such seizures to withdraw their participation, except if the items collected could endanger the public, as in the case of firearms.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »
This article claims the new rules will only affect a small percentage of seizures:

http://reason.com/blog/2015/01/19/how-the-press-exaggerated-holders-forfei
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 12:35:40 PM »
This article claims the new rules will only affect a small percentage of seizures:

Given that it's my understanding that it affects the most problematic types of seizures - cases where those who have lost money (can't call them defendants, they're not charged with any crime, remember) when stopped while shopping for used cars, looking to buy a restaurant, etc....

I also wouldn't be surprised if a study found that they applied it in a racial manner - more likely to seize money, when found, from those of Hispanic and black skin tones.  Much more likely to find money with those ethnic groups anyways, more suspicion of banks.

But yeah, the whole 'equitable sharing' program needs to stop.

• friends
Re: Asset Seizure
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 12:56:02 PM »
Not much of a source and report is short on background but it's interesting. Can anyone in texas confirm that cops got up to 26 k bonus based on their seizures?
http://mcli.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/David_Nelson_ICERD.pdf

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 01:56:16 PM »

I must live in the wrong part of the world.  Our court gets nothing from forfeiture.  Hell, even any fines we impose get routed to either the county general fund or the state in some way.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
I must live in the wrong part of the world.  Our court gets nothing from forfeiture.  Hell, even any fines we impose get routed to either the county general fund or the state in some way.

Interesting. On the fed side, everything I always saw, either in asset forfeiture or regulatory fines, went straight to the agency, or office of the agency, that was involved in the action. Sometimes it was split with DOJ to pay for their counsels time.

Funny story, we were tracking a cartel "Super Panga"  a couple of years ago, and the driver ended up beaching the thing on a remote beach and hightailing it away. He'd already either offloaded or dumped the pot. When CBP got to the beached boat, a local commercial fisherman had already spray painted "John Doe salvage rights" on the thing (it was probably worth a few hundred thousand dollars).  :laugh:

It sat in the local harbor for a while because apparently that started some kind of maritime legal issue. I never heard what the outcome was. I know the feds took the boat away, but I don't know if the fisherman got a piece of the action. I'm sure CBP wanted the brand new quad 350 outboards on the thing for themselves.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 06:43:13 PM »
Thanks for changing the thread title. It was giving me seisures.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2015, 07:34:05 PM »
Interesting. On the fed side, everything I always saw, either in asset forfeiture or regulatory fines, went straight to the agency, or office of the agency, that was involved in the action. Sometimes it was split with DOJ to pay for their counsels time.

Funny story, we were tracking a cartel "Super Panga"  a couple of years ago, and the driver ended up beaching the thing on a remote beach and hightailing it away. He'd already either offloaded or dumped the pot. When CBP got to the beached boat, a local commercial fisherman had already spray painted "John Doe salvage rights" on the thing (it was probably worth a few hundred thousand dollars).  :laugh:

It sat in the local harbor for a while because apparently that started some kind of maritime legal issue. I never heard what the outcome was. I know the feds took the boat away, but I don't know if the fisherman got a piece of the action. I'm sure CBP wanted the brand new quad 350 outboards on the thing for themselves.

Ooooohhhh, that would be an interesting case Admiralty court vs criminal court.  I do wonder how that worked out,   Because if I was John Doe, I would push to get the boat.   Depending on the offer made by the Federales would be an indication of how strong they thought their case.  I've heard that the Admiralty Courts like their independence and don't like other, lesser courts mucking about on their turf.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 08:52:31 PM »
Ooooohhhh, that would be an interesting case Admiralty court vs criminal court.  I do wonder how that worked out,   Because if I was John Doe, I would push to get the boat.   Depending on the offer made by the Federales would be an indication of how strong they thought their case.  I've heard that the Admiralty Courts like their independence and don't like other, lesser courts mucking about on their turf.

But does their flag have gold fringe?  :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 10:27:00 PM »

This was the boat in question (not to veer the thread):

• friends
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »
Needs more motor

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 09:47:23 AM »
Seen a boat like that drive away from our helo dumping bails of pot out, had 4 big motors on it.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 10:37:51 AM »
Seen a boat like that drive away from our helo dumping bails of pot out, had 4 big motors on it.

The cartels actually have at least one shipyard that pumps them out. Regular fishing pangas used to be used to smuggle people, then somebody got the bright idea to throw a little pot in, then the cartels thought, "Hey..." and started building these. Pot and people on the West Coast, mostly cocaine I think on the East Coast. They're  considered "disposable assets" to the cartels as long as the loads are delivered. If the boat driver screws up or panics and they lose the load, they're generally running for their life after that.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 05:32:09 PM »
If the boat driver screws up or panics and they lose the load, they're generally running for their life after that.

What if they suffer 'bad luck' and had to dump to avoid the coasties?

IE not especially a screw up or panic decision?