Author Topic: The Megyn Kelly Thing  (Read 4122 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Megyn Kelly Thing
« on: October 26, 2018, 09:28:50 AM »
While I think Trump broke her brain a little and don't agree with most of what she does nowadays, she was apparently fired for this (from what I can tell, related to SJWs telling us what we can and cannot dress as for Halloween):

“But what is racist?” she asked. “Because you get in trouble if you’re a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person who puts on white face for Halloween… back when I was a kid that was OK, as long as you were dressing like a character”

Story says she made a "tearful apology" and still got the boot. I wouldn't have apologized, I would have asked WTF is wrong with the jackasses that flooded NBC with "OMG the horror!" complaints. This was a perfectly legitimate question, IMO.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/today-show-confirms-megyn-kelly-on-way-out-at-30-rock
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
Re: The Megyn Kelly Thing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:48:18 AM »
I think the middle of that story rings true:

Fox News learned that Kelly's legal team was insisting on having #MeToo superstar Ronan Farrow accompany her to settlement talks. Kelly had sided with Farrow, whose Pulitzer Prize-winning story about now-disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein's sexual misconduct was spiked by NBC suits.

Kelly -- a champion of the #MeToo movement – had also irked network honchos by taking on-air shots at NBC for not hiring an independent law firm to conduct an investigation into the culture of the company amid refusing to air Farrow’s reporting and Matt Lauer’s termination for sexual misconduct.

NBC declared the network didn’t do anything wrong when handling Lauer after executives refused to launch an independent investigation. Instead, an in-house review found that management was completely oblivious to Lauer’s behavior. Meanwhile, Farrow has said that he was “blocked from further reporting” regarding Weinstein and is working on a book that will detail his side of why NBC News didn’t air his story. All this has resulted in NBC News chairman Andy Lack coming under fire for his handling of sexual misconduct allegations. An NBC insider feels Lack wanted Kelly ousted for not toeing the company line – with the blackface remarks making a convenient excuse to terminate her.

NBC thought they were getting a tame House Conservative on the plantation, and when she didn't fall in line with the company's culture and allow herself to be trotted out to mouth platitudes for "balance" the relationship went down hill.  I read somewhere that she's likely to get a good chunk of the her remaining contract for being fired. 

On the Blackface thing, we were talking about this at work this week, and I really think leftists need to remember that context matters.  A white frat boy dressing up in Blackface and white lips like a hobo from "Song of the South" and talking in a fake southern accent is offensive and probably racist.  What about an 8 year old that wears a suit and Obama mask because his parents are staunch liberals?  How is that racist?  Or in a greyer area, what about a 12 year old that loves Stephen King's Dark Tower books?  So he dresses up like Idris Elba now, is that racist?  To dress up as a character from a fantasy movie?  Why?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
I think the middle of that story rings true:

NBC thought they were getting a tame House Conservative on the plantation, and when she didn't fall in line with the company's culture and allow herself to be trotted out to mouth platitudes for "balance" the relationship went down hill.  I read somewhere that she's likely to get a good chunk of the her remaining contract for being fired.  

On the Blackface thing, we were talking about this at work this week, and I really think leftists need to remember that context matters.  A white frat boy dressing up in Blackface and white lips like a hobo from "Song of the South" and talking in a fake southern accent is offensive and probably racist.  What about an 8 year old that wears a suit and Obama mask because his parents are staunch liberals?  How is that racist?  Or in a greyer area, what about a 12 year old that loves Stephen King's Dark Tower books?  So he dresses up like Idris Elba now, is that racist?  To dress up as a character from a fantasy movie?  Why?

There is a significant difference between painting yourself black and being a "Black Man" for any purpose, vs. dressing as a specific person who happens to be black.

I can understand being insulted by the first as it is playing a (often derisive) stereotype. The second instance is more of the left trying to insist on changing definitions so something that isn't and never was offensive will now be the worst thing you can ever do.

Dressing up as Michael Jackson isn't "blackface". Dressing up as Mr. T isn't blackface. Dressing up as Wesley Snipes' "Blade" isn't blackface. Get a grip, leftists.

(Incidentally, I don't think dressing as another ethnicity as a costume is automatically offensive, either, but that isn't even the issue with these morons.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 10:24:53 AM »
I wonder why they haven't pilloried, crucified, stoned, keel hauled and drawn and quartered Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 10:54:44 AM »
*ahem*  Shaun King, aka "Talcum X" is still hailed by the liberals (and even many in the black community), yet Rachael Dolezal got pilloried by both the media and blacks.  So I'm not sure what the standards are.   

P.S.  Megyn Kelly will be crying all the way to the bank with the $69million NBC has to pay out on the balance of her contract. 

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 10:55:42 AM »
I wonder why they haven't pilloried, crucified, stoned, keel hauled and drawn and quartered Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder.
They probably would if it was made this year.  

One of the events earlier this year was a little girl who dressed up as one of the Disney movie princesses who happens to be black.  The little white girl wanted to color her face to look like the character.  When pictures were posted online they caught a whole lot of mean comments.  

I think the first mistake Megyn Kelly made was that she apologized.  IMO, that is the one thing you should never do.  That seems to only inflame these rage mobs to press harder.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »

Because you never go full retard.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
I think the college frat bro and the kid dressing up as Idris Elba are a couple of good examples.

For the kid, it's hero worship and what's wrong with that? Isn't that sort of a positive thing, racially speaking? If it's not, then why are there black Barbie dolls? Shouldn't that be offensive?

The frat bro might be doing it to be offensive. If so, what is the punishment? Should there even be one? I have generally found that the best "punishment" for jackasses is to ignore them. That doesn't seem to be a popular approach, especially among SJWs, because they can't get the last word in that way.

Also, slight tangent, one of my favorite Three Stooges shorts is "A Plumbing We Will Go". One scene in this short takes place in a kitchen, where the black cook is perplexed by water coming out of the stove and other appliances. He engages in slapstick routines like falling down, making faces, etc. Exactly the kind of stuff that Curly did on a regular basis. The Three Stooges are out of favor these days because of their political incorrectness and are not supposed to be watched by little kids. One of the nutball articles I read once used the above scene as an example (as well as several others that involved black or Japanese people - nothing about making fun of krauts though, which they did all the time).

ETA because three people posted while I was typing. Yeah, what about this Shaun King character?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 11:00:47 AM »
There is a significant difference between painting yourself black and being a "Black Man" for any purpose, vs. dressing as a specific person who happens to be black.

I agree completely.  And yet, here we are, where asking where that line is on TV will get you fired.

I googled image searched "Blackface Halloween Costume" and in the first page I saw recognizable Kanye, Nicki Minaj, the cast of "Orange is the New Black", and Frederica Williams*.  Each image linked to a news story pillorying folks for dressing up as a specific black person.  One was a news story where the reveler was demoted at work.

So clearly, in the US right now, there isn't a difference.  

What about this:  https://www.cosplaycostumecloset.com/marvel-avengers-to-buy/war-machine-costume-shirt-810916

Can a white person wear that?  Or has Don Cheadle made it irrevocably a black costume.  Considering that guessing wrong as a white person can get you fired, I think it's a fair question.

*To be honest, I didn't recognize Frederica Williams, but the folks in the article being offended did, so I feel that counts.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 11:18:57 AM »
Wait, wait, wait.   This is supposed to be a "Post-racial" society.  We have black people playing white people in the performing arts  (e.g.  "Hamilton", and the new James Bond, etc.)  Yet, when people dress up for Halloween like those characters, they are taken out to the woodshed by SJWs.

Screw it.  I think I'm going as Al Jolson this year...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jolson#Performing_in_blackface

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
Wait, wait, wait.   This is supposed to be a "Post-racial" society.  We have black people playing white people in the performing arts  (e.g.  "Hamilton", and the new James Bond, etc.)  Yet, when people dress up for Halloween like those characters, they are taken out to the woodshed by SJWs.

Screw it.  I think I'm going as Al Jolson this year...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jolson#Performing_in_blackface
Racism and prejudice are only allowed to go one way.  If you try to go the other way, you are a racist. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
I'm trying to figure out my Halloween costume. So far, I've got blackface and a Indian Native American Massachusetts senator headdress. What else should I add?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2018, 01:07:15 PM »

Also, slight tangent, one of my favorite Three Stooges shorts is "A Plumbing We Will Go". One scene in this short takes place in a kitchen, where the black cook is perplexed by water coming out of the stove and other appliances. He engages in slapstick routines like falling down, making faces, etc. Exactly the kind of stuff that Curly did on a regular basis. The Three Stooges are out of favor these days because of their political incorrectness and are not supposed to be watched by little kids. One of the nutball articles I read once used the above scene as an example (as well as several others that involved black or Japanese people - nothing about making fun of krauts though, which they did all the time).

Is anyone else old enough to remember a television show called Amos and Andy? It was about two VERY stereotypical black men (played by black males, not by whites in blackface). But the scripts were written they were played to portray every 1950s-ish stereotype of the ignorant black man. Was it offensive to blacks then? I don't know. If it was, we never heard about it. Maybe it's possible that blacks back then were capable of laughing at caricatures of themselves rather than getting all butt-hurt over it. And maybe they were happy to see a couple of black men earning a decent paycheck on national television.

How stereotypical was it? There was at least one Amos and Andy record. I don't remember the whole story from one of the skits, but it had something to do with being in a barroom when a fight breaks out. One of them says he's not worried because, "I'm gonna have mah knife wid me."

"You wouldn't cut me, would you?"

"Not intentionally but, brudah, when them lights go out I ain't gonna know you from anybody else."

Probably would not sell a million copies today ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lktF0V_4Xgw

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amos+and+andy
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2018, 01:20:29 PM »
I'm trying to figure out my Halloween costume. So far, I've got blackface and a Indian Native American Massachusetts senator headdress. What else should I add?

Go shirts and paint your chest red, with various Indian symbols.  Then add a sombrero.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
Getting back to Megyn Kelly for a moment, I always thought she was overrated on Fox and her success had more to do with the lineup she was in and people not changing the channel than any talent on her part. This was a mistake on NBC’s part from the beginning. They thought that she would bring an audience when she never really had her own audience on Fox to begin with.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2018, 03:17:12 PM »
Oh brother Hawkmoon.  With many of your posts you manage to remind me that you are as old a coot as I am. :old: :rofl: :rofl:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2018, 03:31:06 PM »

Slanty eyes?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2018, 03:51:47 PM »
Slanty eyes? with a rejection letter from Harvard in your back pocket!!

Finished that for you. ;)

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2018, 04:37:21 PM »
Finished that for you. ;)

bob

Nice.

I think I might combine black face with the headdress, and a Cinco de Mayo t-shirt.

Actually, Halloween is on a Wednesday, so I'll be at church until 8 o'clock or so. Not sure I'll have time, but maybe I could throw on the costume, and go out for ice cream, or something.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
Nice.

I think I might combine black face with the headdress, and a Cinco de Mayo t-shirt.

Actually, Halloween is on a Wednesday, so I'll be at church until 8 o'clock or so. Not sure I'll have time, but maybe I could throw on the costume, and go out for ice cream, or something.
Wouldn't be that hard to add a rainbow pride flag to your ensemble.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »
makattak's wisdom:

The second instance is more of the left trying to insist on changing definitions so something that isn't and never was offensive will now be the worst thing you can ever do.

MechAg94's wisdom:

I think the first mistake Megyn Kelly made was that she apologized.  IMO, that is the one thing you should never do.  That seems to only inflame these rage mobs to press harder.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:43:45 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »
Trying to discern what will make the SJWs heads explode will make your head explode.

As far as Megyn Kelly, I don't think what she said was racist, but it doesn't matter.

I will also note that her show sucked ass and I doubt the ratings were good to begin with. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out this was an inside job of some sort for NBC to get attention (and ratings) because "LOOK WE FIRED THAT RACIST WOMAN!!" all the while patting themselves on the back for getting rid of the worst hour of their morning line up.

(and she really was terrible. Katie and Louise kept it on just because they wanted to see how long it took to get canceled)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 11:02:19 PM »

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 04:31:15 AM »

Because we know he's the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!  =)

Megyn Kelly was set up to let her own hubris bring her down.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 06:34:20 AM »
Because we know he's the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!  =)

Megyn Kelly was set up to let her own hubris bring her down.

I suppose. And now it appears the poor thing may only get $50 million as a buyout, rather than the full $69 million. I hope she doesn't starve.