Author Topic: Lloyd Austin steps up...  (Read 502 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Lloyd Austin steps up...
« on: August 03, 2024, 07:22:07 AM »
US Defense Secretary overruled Pentagon prosecutors who arrived at a plea deal with the master planner of the September 11 attacks and put the death penalty back on the table.

In doing so, he also relieved of duty the official in charge of the military commission that crafted the plea deal.

Read the memo. Short, sweet, and VERY terse.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/defense-secretary-lloyd-austin-revokes-plea-deal-9-11-terrorists

Of course, I have no doubt that there's going to be a HUGE hue and cry from the left that "all the United States cares about is revenge" and "we only want to murder these human beings! Execution is nothing more than murder!"

To which I say... you're goddamned right we want to execute these bastards. They should have been executed a decade ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Lloyd Austin steps up...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2024, 07:36:52 AM »
And the strategy of the progressive left is stymied...

"We're going to do this, and hope that nobody notices enough to stop it."
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2024, 07:39:45 AM »
Someone remembered there's an election coming up
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.”
― George Orwell, 1984

“Those who believe without reason cannot be convinced by reason.”
― James Randi

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2024, 07:55:17 AM »
Someone remembered there's an election coming up

I thought about that, but from what I know about Austin, he's not the political animal that some Secretaries of Defense have been.

I think he did this primarily because he felt reaching a plea deal was reprehensible and morally wrong.

If this were only about politics, I'm thinking he wouldn't have relieved the head of the commission of her duties in this case (she remains in charge of other cases for Guantanamo prisoners).

NPR is saying that "many 9/11 families" welcomed the plea deals.

That's interesting, because the vast majority of what I've heard has been extreme displeasure from the families who lost loved ones in the attacks.

What annoys me is that these aholes weren't executed years ago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2024, 08:04:55 AM »
A good question I heard on the news this morning: How the heck did something this big, get this far, without Austin ever being informed until after the deal was done? Which seems to be a question Austin himself is asking.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2024, 08:13:51 AM »
I'd say it depends on the authorities granted to the head of the commission. It may well have been a case of "well, I'm not sure that I have total authority to approve this, but I'm going to approve it anyway."

But yeah, I'm thinking that something this monumental likely should have been rolled up through the chain of command first.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2024, 08:45:47 AM »
. . .
What annoys me is that these aholes weren't executed years ago.
Exactly.

And WHY any plea negotiations in the first place? Evidence is conclusive, no need to "negotiate" a plea to try and salvage a weak case. Looks like the terrorists aren't the only aholes involved.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2024, 09:33:21 AM »
Austin is definitely a political animal.  You don't get to be SecDef without being one.  After the backlash in the press and elsewhere, he knew the optics of the plea deal were bad for his soon-to-be new boss and nixed the deal.  This is also the simplest explanation for his action.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2024, 09:38:58 AM »
Austin is definitely a political animal.  You don't get to be SecDef without being one.  After the backlash in the press and elsewhere, he knew the optics of the plea deal were bad for his soon-to-be new boss and nixed the deal.  This is also the simplest explanation for his action.

I never said that he wasn't a political animal.

I said that he's not the political animal that SOME SecDefs have been.

There's a difference.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2024, 12:13:11 PM »
Exactly.

And WHY any plea negotiations in the first place? Evidence is conclusive, no need to "negotiate" a plea to try and salvage a weak case. Looks like the terrorists aren't the only aholes involved.
It has been 23 years, so yes. 

Maybe they will just wait for him to die in custody and then issue a plea for time served.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2024, 01:59:02 PM »
I'd say it depends on the authorities granted to the head of the commission. It may well have been a case of "well, I'm not sure that I have total authority to approve this, but I'm going to approve it anyway."

But yeah, I'm thinking that something this monumental likely should have been rolled up through the chain of command first.

I think there was a giant WTF scream when Pres Sec said the administration had nothing to do with the plea deal.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2024, 02:06:02 PM »
US Defense Secretary overruled Pentagon prosecutors who arrived at a plea deal with the master planner of the September 11 attacks and put the death penalty back on the table.

In doing so, he also relieved of duty the official in charge of the military commission that crafted the plea deal.

That's not quite what the memo says.

Effective immediately, I hereby withdraw your authority in the above-referenced case to enter into a pre-trial agreement and reserve such authority to myself.

I think any prosecutor willing to enter a pre-trial agreement with these murderous scum should be removed from duty, but this memo doesn't do it. We now know we can't trust him/them to mount a vigorous and effective prosecution.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2024, 02:44:58 PM »
And the ACLU is coming out in opposition to Austin's move.

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/aclu-statement-on-defense-secretary-austin-revoking-plea-deal-for-9-11-defendants

"That's not quite what the memo says."

That was assessment was taken from this article:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/plea-deal-reversal-9-11-terrorists-wins-praise-demands-justice-from-victims-groups-republicans

"However, that deal was rescinded after Austin relieved the official in charge of the military commission who had signed off on the agreement and assumed their authority for himself. "

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2024, 09:39:51 PM »
"That's not quite what the memo says."

That was assessment was taken from this article:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/plea-deal-reversal-9-11-terrorists-wins-praise-demands-justice-from-victims-groups-republicans

"However, that deal was rescinded after Austin relieved the official in charge of the military commission who had signed off on the agreement and assumed their authority for himself. "

So Fox News can't read. What else is new? My quotation was taken directly from Austin's memo:

Effective immediately, I hereby withdraw your authority in the above-referenced case to enter into a pre-trial agreement and reserve such authority to myself.

Seems pretty clear to me: The SecDef cancelled the prosecutor's authority to enter into a pre-trial agreement and reserved that authority (i.e. the authority to enter into a pre-trial agreement) to himself, as the ultimate authority having jurisdiction.

Of course, even that is technically not correct, because the SecDef is a notch below the POTUS in the chain of command, but I doubt the White House wants that hot potato.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design