Author Topic: USA Today: Pentagon to destroy $1B worth of ammunition  (Read 1964 times)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
USA Today: Pentagon to destroy $1B worth of ammunition
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:13:51 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2014/04/27/pentagon-ammunition-sen-tom-carper-gao-waste/8145729/

It's impossible to know what portion of the arsenal slated for destruction — valued at $1.2 billion by the Pentagon — remains viable because the Defense Department's inventory systems can't share data effectively, according to a Government Accountability Office report obtained by USA TODAY

*facepalm*

The services have inventory systems for ammunition that cannot share data directly despite working for decades to develop a single database. Only the Army uses the standard Pentagon format; "the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps operate with formats that are obsolete."

*double facepalm*

The services hold an annual conference to share information about surplus ammunition and swap bullets and other munitions as needed. Data about ammunition left over after the meeting disappears from the books, resulting in an unknown amount of good bullets headed to the scrap heap.

*triple facepalm*

The report illustrates the obsolete nature of the Pentagon's inventory systems for ammunition. A request for ammunition from the Marine Corps, for example, is e-mailed to the Army. The e-mail is printed out and manually retyped into the Army system because the services cannot share data directly. Not only is this time consuming, but it can introduce errors — by an incorrect keystroke, for example.

*quadruple facepalm*

I will also point out that rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo should be sold as surplus to us civilians rather than destroyed.  At today's market prices, the Pentagon could make a bundle.

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: USA Today: Pentagon to destroy $1B worth of ammunition
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:29:56 PM »
Given the "wastage"  I observed at every single range I ran (and believe me, EVERYBODY burned up ammo like it was going out of style), I am truly shocked that there is any excess ammo.

And yes, they could make a fortune selling the surplus.  However, TPTB would rather bury it all in a landfill, then to sell it to us.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:06:49 PM »
. . . However, TPTB would rather bury it all in a landfill, then to sell it to us.
I don't understand why it can't be used for training purposes, if nothing else.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »

...exactly what I was thinking.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:13:52 PM »

Because this is the military we're talking about. If you, as an officer, make sense... that leads to bad OERs and non-selects for promotion
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 11:15:53 PM »
I guess the CMP will be out of luck in getting any as well?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:03:30 AM »
I don't understand what is so "different" or "obsolete" about these formats that a perl script can't translate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:22:13 AM »
I don't understand what is so "different" or "obsolete" about these formats that a perl script can't translate.

Reminds me of a funny story...

One day the company where I work hired on a quirky but very intelligent dude I knew in highschool.  I hadn't kept in contact with him, but I was aware that he had completed a degree in computer science, and gone on to complete a masters in the same.

So he's sitting in a meeting, the topic being how their team was going to load some data files in from some archaic format.  The crew is going on and on about the enterprise level ETL tool they use, and how difficult it'll be to get the map wired up for this format.  Dude pipes up, "You guys know we could just knock this out in perl in a couple hours, right?"

Whole room looks at him like he has two heads.  Now, mind you, I have a pretty good understanding of the problem space -- in my opinion the suggestion was, eh, maybe a bit naive from a maintenance perspective, but would have actually worked just fine.  And probably would have been faster, both to write and execute.  It wasn't that difficult of a job, honestly.

The reaction was more of a that's not the way we do things here then one based in technical merit.  It was an interesting case study into the group-think and associated politics in a corporate environment.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 05:53:35 AM »
Because this is the military we're talking about. If you, as an officer, make sense... that leads to bad OERs and non-selects for promotion

Probably if you have any money left in the budget, then your getting less next year.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »
Whole room looks at him like he has two heads.  Now, mind you, I have a pretty good understanding of the problem space -- in my opinion the suggestion was, eh, maybe a bit naive from a maintenance perspective, but would have actually worked just fine.  And probably would have been faster, both to write and execute.  It wasn't that difficult of a job, honestly.

The reaction was more of a that's not the way we do things here then one based in technical merit.  It was an interesting case study into the group-think and associated politics in a corporate environment.

This, and this.

The solution could likely get knocked out with a perl script, or awk/sed. But the problem is, those that know how to fix it don't have the authority to fix it. Those that have the authority to fix it don't know how to fix it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 02:16:27 PM »
Probably if you have any money left in the budget, then your getting less next year.

Undoubtedly this is also a factor.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 03:17:36 PM »
Reminds me of a funny story...

One day the company where I work hired on a quirky but very intelligent dude I knew in highschool.  I hadn't kept in contact with him, but I was aware that he had completed a degree in computer science, and gone on to complete a masters in the same.

So he's sitting in a meeting, the topic being how their team was going to load some data files in from some archaic format.  The crew is going on and on about the enterprise level ETL tool they use, and how difficult it'll be to get the map wired up for this format.  Dude pipes up, "You guys know we could just knock this out in perl in a couple hours, right?"

Ahhhhhh, The Five Monkeys.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »
Ahhhhhh, The Five Monkeys.   

The experiment sounds like the way religions are formed.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 06:26:01 PM »

This, and the Clinton cutbacks, are why my Army career ended at O3...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 04:24:45 PM »
Also, no one in the Army cares.

The last decade or so has been crazy for budgets, especially ammo. Why bother to figure out this crap when you can just get more ammo? The wartime ammo supply was crazy even for stateside units. That's just started to go away last year.