Author Topic: Libertarians throw election  (Read 20097 times)

erictank

• friends
Re: Libertarians throw election
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 10:58:56 AM »
Or based on what I am reading on the Seattle-area FB pages, the Bernie defectors are moving to the Green Party and Dr. Jill Stein: free college! cancel student debt! $15 minimum wage! no vaccines! Legalized pot! Free healthcare!

There may be some other nuances, but I think that is the gist of the Green Party.

Don't forget "Nukleer reactors R EEEEEvil WMDs!!!"

How the Greens are so down on the THE zero-carbon-emissions power source able to sustain baseload for a modern society is beyond me. 

Unless they truly do want to see a mass human die-off.  And I at least halfway DO believe they want that - as long as "the right people" aren't part of it, of course.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2016, 01:35:02 PM »
That was something that I noticed on our trip out to NH a couple years ago.  "Where are the black people?"  I'm used to way more black people.
The only McDonalds I have ever saw with all white people was in Indiana i think (up in that area at least).  Never been to New Hampshershire. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2016, 01:38:36 PM »
Don't forget "Nukleer reactors R EEEEEvil WMDs!!!"

How the Greens are so down on the THE zero-carbon-emissions power source able to sustain baseload for a modern society is beyond me. 

Unless they truly do want to see a mass human die-off.  And I at least halfway DO believe they want that - as long as "the right people" aren't part of it, of course.
Before you got to the die off (or during), there would be mass political upheaval and probably quite a bit of warfare going on.  I never hear anyone mention that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2016, 01:56:04 PM »
The only McDonalds I have ever saw with all white people was in Indiana i think (up in that area at least).  Never been to New Hampshershire. 

You should drive through Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Wisconsin, Michigan... (Hint, basically any McD's outside a major city in those states.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »

Far too many of you, not near enough of me.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2016, 04:00:10 PM »
You should drive through Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Wisconsin, Michigan... (Hint, basically any McD's outside a major city in those states.)
I guess the South is a bit more diverse.  I don't think I have ever seen that.  I haven't been everywhere though.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2016, 04:24:01 PM »
I guess the South is a bit more diverse.  I don't think I have ever seen that.  I haven't been everywhere though.

It is. Rural and small town midwest is extremely homogeneous. In my hometown, the Chinese family runs the Chinese restaurant. Yes, THE one, singular, Chinese family.

THE Indian family runs one of the motels. There were none in my youth, but I think there are some black people in town now. I also think they are foster children, IIRC.

And my town is not unusual in these regards.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2016, 04:33:44 PM »

If this is true, is it the result of past slavery? Would it therefore mean that slavery is "diverse," and therefore a wonderful, wonderful thing? Should the Democrat Party seek to promote it by subsidizing the purchase and upkeep of slaves?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2016, 10:34:27 PM »

If this is true, is it the result of past slavery? Would it therefore mean that slavery is "diverse," and therefore a wonderful, wonderful thing? Should the Democrat Party seek to promote it by subsidizing the purchase and upkeep of slaves?

I think it means that when black people in the South moved out of it, they ended up in the big cities as that was where the work was, not the rural areas.  I imagine people sometimes tend to not travel far from where they grew up even if the area isn't so great.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2016, 11:42:27 PM »
As I learned when taking classes on becoming a Foster Parent.  Most kids don't know "It's not that great".  Mom can be a druggie and Dad an alcoholic, but they are still "Mom and/or Dad"  they can live in a horrible slum, in a "house of squalor" apartment, but it's still "Home".

The boy that was supposed to become my foster son decided to stay on the westside of Chicago, even though he would have far more and better opportunities, in school, in sports, and in his future life.  Yet he decided that that was where he wanted to stay...  C'est la Vie.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2016, 11:42:31 PM »
MechAg, I was joking, silly. Though I do like the idea of telling a lefty that slavery made teh America more diverse.  :laugh:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2016, 12:20:17 PM »
MechAg, I was joking, silly. Though I do like the idea of telling a lefty that slavery made teh America more diverse.  :laugh:
I was just in a serious mood and couldn't think of any good puns. 

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2016, 01:23:44 PM »
So Trump is actually the best candidate left even including the 3rd parties people?

Unless an actual Oompa Loompa steps up, then he's the closest we've got.

Can he sing?

"Oompa Loompa doompadee doo.  I've got the State of the Union for you."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2016, 01:25:01 PM »
Well crap.  They were going to get my vote.  The level of stupid, the number or errors in that statement, boggles the mind.  Not to mention that it flies in the face of base libertarian ideas.

I may just skip this election...

Same. Makes you want to weep. Well, we're boned.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2016, 02:03:31 PM »
I recall saying, in the before time, that a nation that falls for such naked absurdities as same-sex "marriage" would usher in an era in which our politics ceased to make any sense at all.

Yay, I was correct.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2016, 06:09:44 PM »
On top of my various specific policy disagreements with him, I can't bring myself to vote a statist libertarian.

At least Trump will provide plenty of entertainment.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2016, 09:53:12 PM »

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2016, 04:41:17 AM »
I can't vote for Trump.  I can't vote for Hillary.

I'm voting for Johnson.  At least it'll provide more funding for the libertarians next election cycle.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Libertarians throw election
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2016, 07:49:07 AM »
I can't vote for Trump.  I can't vote for Hillary.

I'm voting for Johnson.  At least it'll provide more funding for the libertarians next election cycle.
Unintentionally hilarious.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2016, 10:59:58 AM »
Unintentionally hilarious.

No doubt.

My suggestion for those unable to vote for Trump, but who still want to vote against the arrogance, corruption, and abuse of power Clinton represents, is to write in Richard Nixon.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2016, 11:47:33 AM »

No doubt.

My suggestion for those unable to vote for Trump, but who still want to vote against the arrogance, corruption, and abuse of power Clinton represents, is to write in Richard Nixon.

Hypothetical question time:

Let's say that enough voters wrote in "John Smith" on the ballot to make him the winner.  How is it determined which John Smith is the winner?  There has to be hundreds of eligible John Smiths in the country.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2016, 12:12:15 PM »
Hypothetical question time:

Let's say that enough voters wrote in "John Smith" on the ballot to make him the winner.  How is it determined which John Smith is the winner?  There has to be hundreds of eligible John Smiths in the country.

At least in my state, and according to my slender knowledge of such things, write-ins only count if the candidate registers his name before-hand. So whichever John Smith has previously presented himself to the authorities as the write-in candidate "John Smith."

Kinda defeats the purpose of a write-in, though, I should think.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2016, 02:05:12 PM »
Kinda defeats the purpose of a write-in, though, I should think.

The purpose of a write in is traditionally that it takes quite a bit of time to get a candidate's name on the ballot.  Or they might not get qualified in the primaries and want to run anyways (Senator Murkowski, I'm looking at you)

The purpose isn't really to be able to elect any random person you want, if they don't want to run.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2016, 04:23:46 PM »
The purpose of a write in is traditionally that it takes quite a bit of time to get a candidate's name on the ballot.  Or they might not get qualified in the primaries and want to run anyways (Senator Murkowski, I'm looking at you)

The purpose isn't really to be able to elect any random person you want, if they don't want to run.

The purpose is for me to vote for whomever I wish, and theoretically elect him, if enough people write in the same individual. It doesn't mean they're forced to serve, but the votes should still be counted. It wouldn't exactly be fair, if Mr. Unannounced Write-in won 51% of the vote, but every such vote were thrown out.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
It doesn't mean they're forced to serve,

Why not?  Drafting Presidents seems like it couldn't be much worse than the last couple of elections.