Author Topic: NYC criminalizes words  (Read 699 times)

Andiron

• friend
NYC criminalizes words
« on: September 28, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »
https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-city-250g-illegal-alien-immigration

Call an illegal alien an...wait for it..  Illegal alien,  get fined.  Because bad speak, or something.    We need to blockade and embargo that place back into sanity.  Or nuke it.

Honk Honk.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: NYC criminalizes words
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 07:32:17 AM »
I'm wondering how that will stand up in court on a 1st Amendment basis. As for threatening to call ICE, don't say anything, just make the call if it's warranted.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 07:42:34 AM »
A lot of these virtue signaling "Hate speech" laws and codes have no chance of standing up in court.  I get the feeling they pass these laws to feel good about themselves and pat each other on the back, but are careful to make sure the LEO's understand not to give anyone with a lawyer standing to sue.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 08:51:17 AM »
From what I've read on it, there is no chance it is constitutional. However as Dogmush alluded, it might ensnare someone who is not lawyered up. Hopefully some non-profit will put some blood in the water for their lawyers and kill the thing. Ideally at a very high cost to NYC.

Go back where you came from, DeBlasio.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »
New York City's Commission on Human Rights announced on Thursday that residents could face up to $250,000 in fines if they use terms such as "illegal alien ... with intent to demean, humiliate or harass a person."

What if my intent is not to demean, humiliate or harass anyone, but simply to point out that someone who is an alien and who is here illegally is an illegal alien?

But as Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, pointed out, "illegal alien" is the term used under federal law. Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions specifically directed his Justice Department not to use terms other than "illegal alien," which he said was based in U.S. code.

“The word ‘undocumented’ is not based in US code and should not be used to describe someone’s illegal presence in the country,” he reportedly said in an agency-wide email.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 01:34:40 PM »
I bet there are already people who've lawyered up and are just WAITING to be charged with this so they can go to court and win a big judgement.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain