Author Topic: Ohio inching closer to Constitutional Carry  (Read 4472 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Ohio inching closer to Constitutional Carry
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2022, 08:57:56 AM »
And probably rent-seeking from whomever benefits from permit fees.

That was one of the reasons some cited here why they kept dragging their feet on CC
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2022, 09:04:55 AM »
And probably rent-seeking from whomever benefits from permit fees.

I used to have an FL non-resident, and yeah, I recall they make (or were making) a boatload of dough on those.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2022, 09:10:35 AM »
Does this apply only for Ohio residents, or would it apply to me if I travel there?

I'm pretty sure Idaho has constitutional carry, but only for Idaho citizens.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2022, 09:17:35 AM »
Does this apply only for Ohio residents, or would it apply to me if I travel there?

I'm pretty sure Idaho has constitutional carry, but only for Idaho citizens.

Any US citizen over 18 can carry in Iderho.

State law also allows any resident of Idaho or a current member of the armed forces of the United States to carry a concealed handgun without a license to carry, provided the person is over 18 years old and not disqualified from being issued a license to carry concealed weapons under state law. An amendment to state law that takes effect on July 1, 2020 changes the reference in the above law from “a resident of Idaho” to “any citizen of the United States.” 

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/idaho/

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2022, 09:34:28 AM »
But what about Ohio?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2022, 10:07:53 AM »
I don’t see anything that says citizen of the state of Ohio in the bill text.

https://search-prod.lis.state.oh.us/solarapi/v1/general_assembly_134/bills/sb215/EN/05/sb215_05_EN?format=pdf

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2022, 05:53:35 PM »
Pretty sure I read that one must have resided in the state of Ohio for a minimum of 45 days to be legal.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2022, 06:26:51 PM »
Rumor is that a bunch of elected Sheriff's a d police chiefs are indicating an intention to arrest anyone carrying without a permit for illegal CCW.  They are saying it is up to the prosecutor to determine if the person was legally possessing the firearm, and therfore legally carrying.  And they are also hoping liberal prosecutors will indict the cases a d force judges to dismiss them.  It may be a mess for a while.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2022, 06:52:10 PM »
Rumor is that a bunch of elected Sheriff's a d police chiefs are indicating an intention to arrest anyone carrying without a permit for illegal CCW.  They are saying it is up to the prosecutor to determine if the person was legally possessing the firearm, and therfore legally carrying.  And they are also hoping liberal prosecutors will indict the cases a d force judges to dismiss them.  It may be a mess for a while.

Can they get away with that under state law? It seems lawsuit worthy for the victims.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2022, 09:33:33 PM »
Can they get away with that under state law? It seems lawsuit worthy for the victims.

I haven't read the final version of the Con Carry law yet. I've heard it described as saying basically if you are legally in possession, you can legally carry.  Rumor is these anti gun cops are going to play the angle of  "Absent a permit, I don't know if they are legal.  That's  a prosecutor/court decision.  So hook em up and let the courts sort things out."  Depending on the wording of the statutes, they might be able to get away with this for a while.  Which is why I'll keep my permit (and the reciprocity with other states).
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2022, 09:01:48 PM »
Indiana is now the 24th state to recognize the constitutional right to carry!

The governor actually signed the bill, but it would have become law whether he signed it or not. The only way to stop it would have been for him to veto the bill. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 09:17:31 PM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2022, 11:32:55 PM »
I like what Holcombe's signature signals - that red-state politicritters who want to keep their jobs get out of the way of free carry.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

JN01

• friend
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2022, 11:40:54 PM »

The governor actually signed the bill, but it would have become law whether he signed it or not. The only way to stop it would have been for him to veto the bill.

On the down side, he did veto a bill prohibiting trannies from competing on girls teams.  His logic was that there was no evidence that it was a problem in Indiana, so there was no need for a law prohibiting it.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »
The deep state guys love their perversion.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2022, 10:50:04 AM »
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/answers-common-questions-about-ohio%E2%80%99s-new-permitless-carry-law

Can non-residents carry concealed without a license?
Yes. While the rules for carrying a concealed handgun remain the same with or without a license, there will be no residency requirement when this law goes into effect. Someone who is otherwise a “qualifying” adult may carry with or without a license whether they reside in Ohio or another state.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
According to this, North Dakota is the only free-carry state that restricts free carry to state residents.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/Permitless_Carry_States.pdf

If handgunlaw.us is correct, in any free-carry state but ND, one need only be a law-abiding U.S. citizen, over 21.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2022, 04:48:35 PM »

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2022, 11:04:58 PM »

Obviously, this map still has the Hoosiers all sad and blue.  =( It is the most up-to-date map of free-carry states I found on the online.

Anyway, I notice that Illinois is now almost completely surrounded by the mad deathscape of free states. Louisiana is encircled, so that a retreat across the sea is its only escape from the howling, homicidal wastes of Texas, Mississippi, etc. The east and west coasts are completely cut off now. No doubt the bi-coastal types are having to brave the honking of Canadian geese truckers, to get across the continent in slavery safety. Just kidding - they're flying over us, as they always do.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2022, 11:41:10 PM »
I'm thinking we might get one or two more but that's about it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2022, 08:53:04 AM »
I'm thinking we might get one or two more but that's about it.

The Western half of the country is done. CO and NM will never do it, and of course the coast is a lost cause. I think there's still a chance for bordering NE. I'm still surprised at all the Southern states that have blocked it.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2022, 09:41:27 AM »
The progress in this area is mindblowing!   :cool:

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2022, 09:46:25 AM »
The Western half of the country is done. CO and NM will never do it, and of course the coast is a lost cause. I think there's still a chance for bordering NE. I'm still surprised at all the Southern states that have blocked it.

The gun culture down here is full of *expletive deleted*ing idiots who believe you should be legally restricted from carrying until the government approves.

Also same idiots who say *expletive deleted*it like “my guns are registered with the police department” or “I have this but it’s not registered”. Stupid f*expletive deleted*tards are unaware that we don’t have registration laws at all.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2022, 09:50:35 PM »
Looks like Constitutional Carry is back on the menu boys

BREAKING: Florida Governor Ron DeSantis Calls Special Legislative Session That Will Include Constitutional Carry
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/breaking-florida-governor-ron-desantis-calls-special-legislative-session-that-will-include-constitutional-carry/
- Calvin and Hobbes

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2022, 10:18:45 PM »

probably correct sir, NV is super-duper corrupt/stupid. ... better than Cali but getting worse and worse everyday.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2022, 04:18:04 PM »
Georgia Senate Passes Constitutional Carry Bill, Governor Kemp Promises to Sign It
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/georgia-senate-passes-constitutional-carry-bill-governor-kemp-promises-to-sign-it/
- Calvin and Hobbes