Author Topic: No (shoe) Taxation Without Representation!  (Read 1806 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
No (shoe) Taxation Without Representation!
« on: December 17, 2007, 04:48:58 AM »
Saw this article this morning and was kinda blown away. I had no idea some clothing items like shoes had import taxes to the tune of 70%!

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/shoe-industry-wants-to-boot-import-tax/20071213112109990001
From the article:
Trade associations and their members, such as Payless ShoeSource, Nike Inc., and Columbia Sportswear Co., have been lobbying U.S. lawmakers weekly since the summer to get them to exempt certain categories of footwear - including all children's shoes - from the import tariffs that can run as high as 67.5 percent a pair.

The groups created a Web site- EndtheShoeTax.org -- to raise awareness and encourage constituents to tell their lawmakers, via an e-mail prompt on the site, to pass the Affordable Footwear Act of 2007.

While the matter appears to have widespread industry support, its relative obscurity and low-level priority make passage of the bill anything but a shoe-in, several supporters say.

Imposed in the 1930s, the tariffs were designed to protect a domestic manufacturing industry from cheap imports. But that industry has largely disappeared over the past 20 years, as manufacturing overseas has become easier and cheaper.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
Re: No (shoe) Taxation Without Representation!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:23:53 AM »
If the shoe tax were to be repealed, you would NOT see discount places lower their prices on the no-name shoes they sell - they would simply pocket the difference on the already-cheap stuff they sell.

Name brand suppliers and manufacturers would raise their prices to their customers to largely compensate for the drop in taxes.

IMHO they can, and do, engage in price-fixing without leaving an overt trail of communications or a record of meetings that a prosecutor could use.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Paddy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:12:13 AM »
Prices won't come down if you remove the tax.  That money will just drop to the bottom line as more profit.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:06:56 AM »
So this means that Walmart "shoes" must cost about $0.02 to produce ?

That makes sense ...  rolleyes
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 10:19:39 AM »
So this means that Walmart "shoes" must cost about $0.02 to produce ?

Cost of production * 1.[taxes] + profit margin = cost

Cost of production * 1.67 + profit margin = $20

Cost of production + profit margin = $11.97

I'd guess more like $10 to produce and ship.  I'd like to see the actual figures though!

-Nick

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:55:15 AM »
IMHO they can, and do, engage in price-fixing without leaving an overt trail of communications or a record of meetings that a prosecutor could use.

they engage in price gouging because we allow it by buying their products.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 01:08:05 PM »

Quote from: geronimotwo
they engage in price gouging selling a product for as much as they can because we allow it by buying are a bunch of two-faced rubes who scream about overseas production and unfair competition but will not hesitate to trample each other in order to save a few pennies buying their products.

There, fixed it for you.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 01:17:59 PM »
Brad beat me to it.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 01:51:49 PM »
I've got two words:

New Balance.

Last I checked, these shoes are 100% american made, cheaper than nikes or reeboks, and frankly, they fit me better.  Not being imported, they are not subject to a 67% tax.

We're talking 67% on a pair of shoes that have a declared import value of about $7, whether they are designer nike's or walmart/wrangler boots that cost $19.94.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 02:05:52 PM »
Prices won't come down if you remove the tax.  That money will just drop to the bottom line as more profit.

Won't they profit more by lowering prices beneath those of their competitors? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 02:08:31 PM »

Yes

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Paddy

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 02:17:36 PM »

As in 'we lose money on every deal but we make it up in volume'?  laugh

Not necessarily, because all sales are not solely price driven.  If they were, Nike, etc. wouldn't be in business.   So, simply lowering price won't automatically increase sales and profits.