Main Forums > The Roundtable

Anyone using "bundled" satellite service?

(1/2) > >>

Larry Ashcraft:
Here's the deal:
We have Qwest landline service ($55/month, no long distance service [we use phone cards or cell phone]),

Earthlink Dial-up ($22/month).  DSL is not available on our antique lines, so we get 28.8 hookup at best.

Satellite DirectTV ($50/month).

Qwest is offering a deal on their "bundled" satellite package, $87/month for high-speed internet, satellite TV, and phone service with unlimited long distance.  Sounds good off the top, but the initial package still goes up about $33 after one year.  Still not a bad deal.  As cheap as what we have now, but should be much better service.

So, anybody else have one of these packages?  (I know Art has it, but anyone else?)

Do you have trouble with losing the signal during bad weather?  Anything else I should know before we switch over?

TarpleyG:
Sounds like a pretty decent deal to me as long as the high-speed is up all/most of the time.  I pay that much for just phone, LD, and DSL....no cable/satellite in my "bundle."

Greg

Leatherneck:
We're thinking about switching to all-satellite at the cottage. We're at the end of a very long country road, and the dial-up is incredibly slow and noisy. DISH TV service has been excellent for the most part. I don't have any experience with broadband satellite service.

TC

mtnbkr:
The biggest negative about satellite internet service is the inherent lag when sending/receiving data.  You're looking at a half second or more delay from the time a packet leaves your PC till you get the response.  It's not an issue for most things, but time sensitive apps like games and VPN don't always handle it so well.  For example, when you press enter to submit a URL via your browser, expect to see the PC do nothing for at least half a second before the page starts to load.  Sometimes, it's even longer depending on other factors.  Still, it's better than dialup...

Chris

caseydog:
Larry , Chris (P95carry) is on satellite internet now , you may want to drop him an e-mail for his experiences. I know he has to de-snow the dish occasionally in the winter.

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version