Main Forums > The Roundtable

Need help from those in Dallas area

(1/1)

Stetson:
I just moved here to the DFW area and I need to find a certain location.  I have a map but I got lost going there today.

Anyone know or have any idea where this place is?

--- Quote ---Ford Cemetery

Located at 602 Fountain Parkway, Grand Prairie.

Pinkney Harold Ford (1831-1901) was the leader of a Kentucky family who migrated to Texas in 1855. They settled in the area of North Arlington, then known as the Watson Community. John J. Goodwin held the original patent to this cemetery property. The oldest marked grave is that of Maria Trayler (b. 1799), who died in 1858. Ford, a Civil War veteran, purchased this property in 1879 and designated this site as a community burial ground. He and wife Elizabeth (d. 1898) farmed land nearby. Industrial development has surrounded this remnant of the pioneer community. (1982)

http://www.rootsweb.com/~txtarran/historical13.htmI need to go there soon and then need to talk to whoever is in charge of either restoration or maintenance or whatever.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus:
I found your cemetary. The key to the location is the last line:

Industrial development has surrounded this remnant of the pioneer community.

Ideally, you have access to the Interweb and can get a free copy downloaded of Google Earth.

Type in the location, 602 Fountain Parkway, Grand Prairie, Texas. It'll zoom you to the location. It appears the cemetary is between 3 huge industrial buildings, with access which looks to be on the west side of one that appears to front Fountain Parkway. To add to the search, in Google Earth you can select a setting that highlights and names churches and cemetaries. Ford Cemetary is there, it's just hidden among the buildings and it appears there really may be little or no easy access to it. It's at the NW corner of the intersection of 110th St. and Fountain Parkway, and in the photographs all 3 buildings surrounding it have semi trailers pulled up to the buildings. Must be a warehouse or distribution center.  

Look closely and you will see slabs, maybe concrete grave tops all in rows. Obviously a cemetary, just not observable easily from ground level.

Holler if you need any help.  
Regards,
Rabbit.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus:
Stetson, got your IM.

Also, the coordinates are 32d. 46' 48" 84s N,
97d. 03' 01" 04s W.

Precision over all.

Now you can justify that new GPS receiver to Mrs. Stetson.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version