Author Topic: Good TV?  (Read 1721 times)

buzz_knox

• friend
Good TV?
« on: October 19, 2005, 06:18:27 AM »
I'm looking to get a good, large TV.  Something in the 32 inch range but not the hyperexpensive LCD/plasma types.  I'll get one of those later, when they get more reasonable.

Any recommendations?  What should I be looking for?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Good TV?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 06:23:17 AM »
The one and only proven technology:  Picture Tube.  You can get a flatscreen/widescreen flat tube for way less than anything else on the market.  Get High-def, or high def ready.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

buzz_knox

• friend
Good TV?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 07:18:26 AM »
Any recommendations on a good brand/model?

mtnbkr

• friend
Good TV?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 07:48:05 AM »
I've been happy with Phillips (and Phillips Magnavox).  I've had a 32" Phillips in our den for nearly 3 years now.  We have an older (8yo) Phillips Magnavox 25" in the bedroom.  It too works fine for us.

Keep in mind, we're not very critical of TV.  As long as it works and doesn't deliver a terrible picture, we're happy.  Heck, we don't even have cable/satellite.

Chris

Good TV?
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 07:52:25 AM »
I have had good luck with Sharp, Sony, and Toshiba.  I have a Sony I got from my brother that is over 10 years old.  I have had good luck with Samsung, but not in TV's.  

I have NOT had good luck with RCA.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Good TV?
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 07:53:17 AM »
buzz, you'll get alot more bang for your buck if you stay with the 30-32" models, as opposed to the 35-36".  Consumer Reports rated 'em in March, and at that time, Toshiba's 32" flat screen model #32A43 was a best buy at $350.

There are several consumer ratings sites that don't require a paid membership, and you may be able to catch a deal from some of the shopping/comparison sites with free or reduced shipping.

Let us know how it goes!
Fig

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good TV?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 08:42:22 AM »
I have a 32" Sanyo that I bought nearly 10 years ago.

Excellent picture, great stereo sound, and it wasn't all that expensive.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Good TV?
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 09:17:05 AM »
Toshiba, Phillips, RCA, Sanyo, Sony, Sharp.
I have a 12 year old RCA in the basement that still has a perfect picture.  Just bought a Phillips 27" Flat screen HD compatible tube last year, its just a nice tv.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
Good TV?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 10:22:42 AM »
Do decent TVs even wear out anymore?  My parents have TVs that are pushing 20 years now.  Most people I know replace TVs to get features or more screen real estate.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Good TV?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »
Yep, TVs still fail, but not at the rate that they used to.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TarpleyG

• friend
Good TV?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 12:42:42 PM »
Next year, I am planning on getting a 60something" DLP...still doing the research on a brand.  Not crazy about any of this new technology because they all have ongoing maintenance costs.  DLP requires a new lamp every 1000-2000 hours, plasma has burn in issues, LCD...not sure but there has to be something.  Supposedly they are working on new LED technology which will be the latest and greatest...we'll see.

Greg

...has left the building.

Good TV?
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 03:24:38 PM »
I have a Sharp Aquos LCD which I'm very happy with. My friends though have had great luck with DLPs. Considering how much I actually watch TV, the LCD was overkill. My brother-in-law has a Phillips flat tube that we have played many a PS2 game on. I think in the price range you want, that might be a great option.

grampster

• friend
Good TV?
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 04:05:25 PM »
We've got a Panasonic flat screen.  Great picture and sound.  Have Sharp Aquos LCD.  Also very good.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw