Author Topic: Much better now.  (Read 2236 times)

dogmush

• friend
Much better now.
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:47:57 PM »
I have wanted a Hi Power for a while.  It's one of those classic guns that I just thought everyone should have one of.  Last month I posted on THR that I had saved up some scratch and was ready to get one of Sarco's Hi Powers.  I went back and forth on whether or not to get a clone in better condition or a real Browning that was more beat up.  I thought about it and ended up crossing my fingers and ordering a "fair" condition early Browning.

When it showed up at my FFL I felt like I had won the Sarco lottery.  They sent me a circa 50's FN Hi Power in much better condition then I had expected.  There was bluing wear but not that much, some character dings and scratches, lots of grease and internal surfaces in pretty dang good shape.  Someone had slapped some Houge wrap-around rubber grips on it that I wasn't a fan of.

I'm of the opinion that a Hi-power just begs for some nice wood grips.  After my first range trip to make sure it shoots (and boy does it [ar15]) I started thinking about fixing her up a little.  Cruising through MidwayUSA last week I found that Houge also sells hardwood Hi Power grips for $32.  At that price I figured I couldn't go wrong, so I had them ship me a Rosewood set. Rosewood is all they had in stock ready to go. They showed up today, so less then $40 later MUCH better:

I'm considering sending it to be re-blued. If I do that I might fork out for some hi dollar custom grips to make it just awesome but really for a 60 year old shooter this thing just rocks.  =D Not taking anything away from a FEG or FN, but I'm into this FN $460 including the new grips, and that's pretty hard to beat. I do have to get a few more mags. =D

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: Much better now.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »
Sarco sells guns?  Anyone have a link to current offerings and price list?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:09:11 PM »
I've never heard of this place.  We got to Central PA nearly every year (Cabelas, Hershey, Crayola Factory, etc).  We might have to go again this year. :D

Dogmush, do you have your C&R?  If so, you could have used it to have that gun sent directly to you, bypassing the FFL transfer.  It only needs to be 50yrs or older...

Chris

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:16:23 PM »
Sarco sells guns?  Anyone have a link to current offerings and price list?

It ain't user friendly, but yeah they sell guns.

They go buy their Shotgun News Ads, which are available on their sight, and only a week or two behind.  And not everything is in every ad so you need to check one or two ads back.  Then you have to call and see if they still have the one you want.  Good news is when you call they pick up the physical gun you're going to get so you can ask for features (Ring Hammer in my case) and they'll grab one for you.

March 20's ad has the most guns of the recent ones: http://www.sarcoinc.com/3-20-12_1-9.pdf

I'm trying to convince myself I don't need a G3 parts kit.

No C&R yet, but if I keep up the "Old but neat guns" collecting I'm gonna have to get one.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »
No C&R yet, but if I keep up the "Old but neat guns" collecting I'm gonna have to get one.

If you frequently shop at MidwayUSA and Brownells, the discounts alone will pay for the license in short order.  For example, I am planning to buy a Weigand "no drill" mount for my Redhawk.  My "dealer" discount earned by my C&R nets a $10 savings at Brownells.  On larger ticket items, the discount can be more than the cost of the license ($35).

C&R is anything 50yrs and older.  That's any gun made before 1962 as of this year. There were some mighty fine and still highly serviceable guns made  in the first half of the 20th century.  Many are indistinguishable in design and manufacture from their modern counterparts.

Chris

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:17:09 PM »
I've handled and shot a couple BHPs. I love those danged things. Keep telling SWMBO she needs to hit the lottery. Ya' done good, Dogmush, real good!

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
Wow, I have always wanted a BHP!

Esmeralda cocobolo grips are beautiful, but about $100.
http://www.esmeralda.cc/hi-power_3.htm

I know this is like crack to an addict, but here you go:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 11:12:50 PM by Jamie B »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »
Jamie, I've been looking for an excuse to buy something for Esmeralda for years.  All my 1911 are too much "working" guns.  If I decide to drop cash on this thing, I'll send it to Fords for a mid level polish and re-blue and get some grips from her. I'm thinking something lighter in color though, and know checkering.

Like one of these:

Honestly, the cost is low enough I'll probably do it, I just want to shoot it some more first.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 11:23:33 PM »
Jamie, I've been looking for an excuse to buy something for Esmeralda for years.  All my 1911 are too much "working" guns.  If I decide to drop cash on this thing, I'll send it to Fords for a mid level polish and re-blue and get some grips from her. I'm thinking something lighter in color though, and know checkering.

Like one of these:

Honestly, the cost is low enough I'll probably do it, I just want to shoot it some more first.

Yea, I saw those. I was not sure of your tastes.

I too have been drooling over those grips for years myself.

The lighter color would be fabulous on a blued gun.........

Might I suggest these White Cocobolo grips from Fusion Firearms (Bob Serva)?
At $36.95, they are a steal!
I have a set of slim ones on my SA Champion Stainless, and they are by far my favorite grips!
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-343/Grips%2C-1911-White-Thin-fdsh-SLIM-dsh-AMBI/Detail

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:43:42 AM »
I'm considering sending it to be re-blued.

I never could see what the problem is with a little wear and tear on an older gun  ???

A few months back I got a 1936 Marlin that is almost white.  I'm really proud of it and wouldn't change a thing.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 01:54:15 AM »
A few months back I got a 1936 Marlin that is almost white.  I'm really proud of it and wouldn't change a thing.  =)

Congratulations. I remember you having some trouble finding a lever gun. What caliber?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 02:11:50 AM »

Congratulations. I remember you having some trouble finding a lever gun. What caliber?

30-30

Don't want to stock too many calibers.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin