Author Topic: Pilot refuses full body scan loses job  (Read 5797 times)

doczinn

• friend
Re: Pilot refuses full body scan loses job
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
hes not old enough to have been doing this before these security
conditions were in place
Check your math. There's an opt-out: a pat-down. Both the scan and the pat-down are new. I'm not sure what you have against this guy, but the scan was not a condition of his employment. It is the equivalent of a DUI checkpoint that everyone employed at or doing business with a particular establishment must pass through. And everyone's car is searched. Every time.

Oh god, not people actually having a cause.
I know, that's only one step away from armed revolution!
D. R. ZINN

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2010, 08:32:19 PM »
i don't have a thing against the guy.  i am not gonna worry that much about a pilot or anyone else going through security nowadays.  he has job options if this bugs him  folks have transportation options. they can avail themselves. has his union declared yet?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2010, 08:36:37 PM »
So, by your logic, we can be scanned/harrassed/questioned at any extent at airports, since we agree to go on planes?

Alternatively we can drive, is that right?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2010, 08:46:39 PM »
any extent? no . current extent?yes or you can avail yourself of alternatives  i do fly is not as easy as it once was but not near as hard as some folks seem to make it.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2010, 09:00:46 PM »
any extent? no . current extent?yes or you can avail yourself of alternatives  i do fly is not as easy as it once was but not near as hard as some folks seem to make it.

I guess you're used to that sort of thing by now ;)  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2010, 04:40:25 AM »

And should we drive, do  I assume we also have - by choosing to drive - agreed to the various police stops, roadblocks, and backscatter X-ray scans of vehicles?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2010, 06:09:56 AM »
 i worked as a caterer at the general aviation side at national/reagan and we all signed stuff that specified we had to dance the security dance or get walking. trying to pretend a pilot didn't know what the deal was gonna be is amusing  as was his landshark trying to call the pat down search a strip search.

if he had wanted to avoid the scan i'd not make fun of him. they give you that option.  the third choice is a career change and that is his choice. hes subject to the whizz quizz randomly and physicals as well. all part of the job

And....... just how many times did you, as an in-flight caterer, have to be patted down/ full body scanned in the process of doing your job?? I, too, worked for the airlines at one point. (Pre-9/11) and many of the airport personnel didn't have to go through security every time they came to  work. In-flight catering went from their facilities onto the airport without EVER being screened. I've by-passed screening many times, myself. I think that whoever is making the rules for TSA has been watching too many movies. The pilot actually hijacking the plane is the least of my worries, especially in an Embraer......
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2010, 08:55:29 AM »
And should we drive, do  I assume we also have - by choosing to drive - agreed to the various police stops, roadblocks, and backscatter X-ray scans of vehicles?

Oh, you've got choices other than flying if you don't want to be put through such measures. There's always the train for instance, oh never mind, they're starting to screen there to. Well I suppose you could take the bus. Drat, almost forgot, they're testing out a screening program that as well. Hmm. Your car? You already mentioned "sobriety and seatbelt" checkpoints and vehicle mounted x-ray devices. Looks like your only choice is either walking or biking to see your friends two states away, but be sure to stay off the interstate and certain highways where that method of travel is forbidden. Mind you that still doesn't resolve the issue of being randomly x-ray'd without consent while traveling on the public thoroughfare. I could name a few countries that included the restriction of travel in their toolbag of control over their people, and surprisingly, it wouldn't even godwin the thread.

I have a serious question on a related note. Do we have anyone here who's profession is in health care? I don't remember from the few times I've been x-ray'd at the doctors office, considering I intentionally went there to get said x-rays; is consent of the patient or guardian/legal rep required prior? I'm curious if this falls under the category of a medical procedure requiring consent, and if so, what differentiates the cops and others using drive by x-rays on people without consent.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2010, 11:25:02 AM »
what differentiates the cops and others using drive by x-rays on people without consent.

They're the government, don't ya know ?  ;/

What - do you want the terrists to win?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2010, 11:29:57 AM »
what differentiates the cops and others using drive by x-rays on people without consent.

Some animals are more equal than others, especially those hiding under "color of law".

Remember the Patriot Act, only to be used on terrorists. Well, I dare say it's been responsible for removing child molesters, organized crime and a lot if other crimes that have nothing to do with terrorism. It's called mission creep.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »
And....... just how many times did you, as an in-flight caterer, have to be patted down/ full body scanned in the process of doing your job?? I, too, worked for the airlines at one point. (Pre-9/11) and many of the airport personnel didn't have to go through security every time they came to  work. In-flight catering went from their facilities onto the airport without EVER being screened. I've by-passed screening many times, myself. I think that whoever is making the rules for TSA has been watching too many movies. The pilot actually hijacking the plane is the least of my worries, especially in an Embraer......

pre 911 only had to deal with security intermittently. afterwards they got to be a pain in the tail.never been patted down but once and that was when the secret service did it. some vip's plane.  we used to get screened by canine but that was funny since the food got some of the dogs excited.

heres another pilots view
http://www.salon.com/technology/ask_the_pilot/2010/10/21/michael_roberts_body_scan/index.html

interestingly he mentions that usually pilots get to skip the shoe dance.