Author Topic: Put GPS chips in guns  (Read 10001 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Put GPS chips in guns
« on: June 23, 2008, 05:43:51 AM »
http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008806190306

This is almost funny.  I think this person must have a vision of GPS chips forged into the frame or something.  If gun owners don't remove them then a criminal certainly would.
If that weren't enough, the examples use to stress this "need" include "mishandling" of guns.  Surely even this person is smart enough to realize that people being stupid and playing with loaded guns won't be prevented by any GPS chips.  I guess the GPS will flash a signal out every time the gun is fired. 

Maybe we can put cameras on either end of the gun so a picture is taken of the shooter and the target every time the gun is fired.  Smiley

There is also the obligatory "I have been around guns all my life" crap at the beginning so the writer can act like they know about guns.  Is that now required of every writer who proposed more gun control?   

A responsible idea: Put GPS chips in guns
I have been around men and women exercising the right to bear arms ever since I was a child. I grew up going to the shooting range with my father, and I was taught weapon safety from a very young age. Guns were always locked in safes, and the only time we handled them in the home was when my father was cleaning our checked and safety-locked weapons.

Having experienced the gun show and the coming-of-age purchasing of weapons (against my advice) by friends, I am concerned that there is no regulated method of tracking the arms trade in this nation, where gun-related incidents are on the rise.

Earlier this month, for example, a man shot himself in the abdomen while twirling a loaded .22 caliber firearm. In the last few weeks, there have been multiple reports of armed robberies and shootings, and our community has witnessed multiple tragedies from the mishandling of firearms.

Unfortunately, after such occurrences, we sit and fume over the generally negative effects that guns have been known to have, but very little has been done to pro-actively generate any long-term effective method for reducing gun violence.

Realistically, I understand that we cannot just ask everyone to pack up and dispose of their weapons, and though I do not own a personal firearm, I know many people who keep them for respectable purposes.

Of those I know who are responsible with their weapons, I could guarantee that not a single one would be opposed to a simple proposal using GPS tracking chips, which are incredibly small and have become rather inexpensive to manufacture.

Would it be such a terrible idea to ask members of our society to have a simple chip attached to their weapons?

If this were a requirement, not only would we be able to trace the trade and location of weapons more thoroughly but we also could enforce more rigid repercussions for those in possession of unregistered weaponry.

Of course, the database and tracking system would take a bit of time to implement, but wouldn't it be worth it to have this substantial resource at hand?

When weapons are stolen, we could track them down more easily, and in the incident of a violent act, we would be able to more reliably piece together the chain of events leading up to the gunfire.

As one who is capable of handling a firearm responsibly, I would love for others to be able to see weapons in a different light. I am not afraid of guns; we have only to fear the people who choose to use them inappropriately.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Put GPS chips in guns
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 05:46:42 AM »
Because chips work by maaaaaagic, they need no power source.

And nobody intent on misuse would ever remove them?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 05:47:51 AM »
What would he be willing to have a GPS tracking chip implaced in?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 05:49:00 AM »
How do you prevent the recoil from wrecking the chip?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 05:49:34 AM »
Megan Kristen Lewis works at the finance department at the Tallahassee Democrat and is a freelance journalist. She graduated in May from Flagler College. Contact her at mklewis@tallahassee.com.

From right next to the piece is her contact info.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 05:55:56 AM »
Why don't we just put GPS chips into the bullets.  That way we can track them when they are fired. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 05:58:01 AM »
I would prefer GPS chips in politicians.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 06:09:17 AM »
Of those I know who are responsible with their weapons, I could guarantee that not a single one would be opposed to a simple proposal using GPS tracking chips, which are incredibly small and have become rather inexpensive to manufacture.

Would it be such a terrible idea to ask members of our society to have a simple chip attached to their weapons?

I'd say he doesn't actually know anyone who owns guns.  Moron.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 06:11:24 AM »
Let's see.

If you carry daily, this amounts to a chip tracking your motions every day.

Riiiight.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 06:15:29 AM »

She doesn't know any intelligent people; therefore, we need to throw the nation's civil rights out the nearest window.

People really ought to finish high school before they start trying to masquerade as journalists.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 06:16:59 AM »
I would prefer some kind of V-Chip a la South Park, only that it'll send out a lethal current when they are lying/using the words "Change" or "Hope" to generously.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 06:18:57 AM »
I would prefer some kind of V-Chip a la South Park, only that it'll send out a lethal current when they are lying/using the words "Change" or "Hope" to generously.

There'd be one, two survivors tops.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 06:40:19 AM »

You say that as if it is a bad thing?Huh?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 06:55:39 AM »

Excellent idea. I would expand that to include an online voting system available to constituents that would allow them to remotely shock the politicians by a majority vote. The GPS chip would help constituents deliver their displeasure when the politician fails to live up to a promise.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 07:00:57 AM »

You say that as if it is a bad thing?Huh?

It IS a bad thing......we should shoot for 100%....  cool
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 07:19:01 AM »
My post for the site, seeing as how I can't register/sign in to post:

Miss Lewis,

I'm afraid that I have a number of problems with your proposal.  Tracking devices in guns have been proposed before, as have biometric authentication before firing.

First, you seem to be confusing tracking devices with GPS devices.  By default, a GPS device tells it's user or the equipment it's attached to where it is.  Very useful for a navigation system.  There are versions that can 'call home', but they're larger and take more energy.  Remember, a gun, by default, needs no power source.  You could fit a RFID, which doesn't need any power, but they do tend to be fragile and the range is extremely limited - usually under 10 meters.

People who own a firearm for self defense want the firearm to be as reliable as possible.  We're talking, in many cases, a reliability rate that one failure in ten thousand is too much.  To achieve this, we want the gun to be as simple as possible - to the point that revolvers still enjoy a substantial popularity even today.  Still, your idea at least doesn't require mucking around with the trigger assembly.

Second, cost.  How much do you figure this system will cost?  Oh yeah, and we're using federal funds to pay for them?  Let's say that the device and installation costs average $100 - not bad when you figure that you're going to need a professional to retrofit.  I can see most handguns costing hundreds put a pencil eraser sized device into a device that wasn't designed to take it.  The only empty space in most guns is for something to move through when it cycles.  Anyways - $100 average.  Times 'over 200 million' guns(estimate) - I can think of many things that would save many more lives for $20 Billion.  For that price we could give away pool monitoring systems that would, statistically, save more lives.

Third - lives saved.  You listed an accident, a negligent discharge, as one of your examples.  Tell me, how do you believe that your 'GPS device' would have prevented this?  Do you also figure that GPS devices in cars would reduce the accident rate?  It'd be cheaper and more reliable to chip cars than guns.  Most of the deaths from guns today are suicides.  Looking at suicide, the substitution rate(where a person, denied one method of committing suicide instead uses a different method rather than not doing it) is nearly 100%.

Fourth - 'where gun-related incidents are on the rise.':  Completely false.  Accidental shootings have been on the decline for at least the last decade.  So hasn't murder, assault, robbery, and all that.  For that matter, cities with the toughest gun control tend to be the most violent.  Go figure.

Fifth - The criminal element.  There have been multiple proposals, including the one for requiring a gun to imprint a code on each casing fired through the gun.  The problem?  It takes 30 seconds and a emory board to wipe out the code.  $10-50 per gun cost, 30 seconds with a 50 cent tool to eliminate.  That's discounting the canny who grab casings from the local police range to confuse the forensics people.

Sixth- 'not a single one would be opposed to a simple proposal using GPS tracking chips, which are incredibly small and have become rather inexpensive to manufacture.' - Have you asked?  I'm willing to bet that you'd be surprised when they all object.  

Seventh - Here's a proposal:  Propose the police do this to their guns.  They have a larger tendency to misplace their weapons than the overall civilian populace, after all.  See how they respond.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 07:20:18 AM »
My post for the site, seeing as how I can't register/sign in to post:

No bugmenot?

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 07:27:04 AM »
No bugmenot?

1.  At work, using mandated IE
2.  login and registration screens won't even come up.

It's not that I'm unwilling to register, it's that I can't because of technical reasons.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 07:46:36 AM »
Could send it to her at the email address in my earlier post.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
earlier this month, for example, a man shot himself in the abdomen while twirling a loaded .22 caliber firearm.
What the heck does this have to do with "gun violence"   this is just a case of outright stupidity and has absolutely nothing to do with her attempt to make a point.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 09:35:36 AM »

Excellent idea. I would expand that to include an online voting system available to constituents that would allow them to remotely shock the politicians by a majority vote. The GPS chip would help constituents deliver their displeasure when the politician fails to live up to a promise.

Oooh, now there is an idea.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 09:40:30 AM »

Oooh, now there is an idea.
Agreed. I vote in favor.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 09:09:58 PM »
You wouldn't even have to remove the chip you could just stick a small magnet over it and it probably wouldn't function.
Look, tiny text!

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 11:58:48 PM »
And who would be monitoring and tracking said devices? What a moron...
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 04:45:11 AM »
You wouldn't even have to remove the chip you could just stick a small magnet over it and it probably wouldn't function.

Why would a magnet would mess up a microchip?  Is it a special hall effect  microchip?

Semi-conductors (particularly with a RF interface) don't fare well in the face of 1KW of RF energy.  (AKA: microwave oven)  That would be my solution.