Author Topic: Snowing here in Fairfax, Virginia...  (Read 10031 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Snowing here in Fairfax, Virginia...
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:10:29 PM »
I have such an urge to abandon my car in the travel lane and stock up on all the bread, toilet paper, and milk I can carry...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Snowing here in Fairfax, Virginia...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:11:56 PM »
It was 19 F this AM in Ames when I went off to work. Tomorrow is going to be 50 F for a high.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:13:33 PM »
Any inverted SUVs?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:12:59 PM »
No, not quite enough snow on the roads for a turtle.

But, that's always MY official start of winter.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:15:48 PM »
I have such an urge to abandon my car in the travel lane and stock up on all the bread, toilet paper, and milk I can carry...

Are you kidding!? People here FREAK about the FORECAST of snow. Not even the real stuff. (I'm in NOVA too)

My favorite example was my first winter here.

Now, I grew up in central Illinois. We knew it had to snow and snow HARD about 6 hours before school to get out of school that day. Otherwise the roads were cleared for the busses.

I went to college in Southern Michigan. We closed school ONE DAY (the four years I was there) because of an ice storm that knocked out power.

I wake up one morning to the radio broadcasting all the school closings in the area.

Excited (as I love snow) I get ready for an enjoyable day of the crunch beneath my feet, the large flakes floating down and other fun in the snow.

I walk outside. TO BRIGHT SUNSHINE. Not a cloud in the sky. Not a flake on the ground. Snow was forecasted for LATER IN THE DAY and the school districts all cancelled.

Now, I stay in every time it snows. This is because I know how to drive in snow. No one else seems to.

I just avoid them.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 02:16:17 PM »
I looked out the window and saw that and I wanted to cry.  All I could think of was somebody plowing into me tonight on the commute home.  An hour later I went outside and it was bone dry.  There was much rejoicing.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »
Tell me about it.  I grew up in NJ and later PA.  Stuff that shuts SC down wouldn't even have gotten my hopes up as a younger child.

The first snow while I was down here I show up for work and was like "Uhm,....wheres everyone?"

It was me, and the manager, everyone else called in because they couldn't get to work.

WTF?!?  There was maybe an inch of the snow on the friggin ground.

The snow doesn't bother me, if I can drive an 80's camero in PA snow storms, I can drive down here in the coatings we get.  It's the other drivers that scare the hell out of me.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 02:34:07 PM »
Tell me about it.  I grew up in NJ and later PA.  Stuff that shuts SC down wouldn't even have gotten my hopes up as a younger child.

The first snow while I was down here I show up for work and was like "Uhm,....wheres everyone?"

It was me, and the manager, everyone else called in because they couldn't get to work.

WTF?!?  There was maybe an inch of the snow on the friggin ground.

The snow doesn't bother me, if I can drive an 80's camero in PA snow storms, I can drive down here in the coatings we get.  It's the other drivers that scare the hell out of me.

Mine was Michigan snow storms. And an 80's Caprice Classic. Was THAT an experience!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 02:35:52 PM »
Imagine how well you would've done driving a Camaro...  =D
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 02:36:58 PM »
I grew up in Central Pennsylvania driving a Ford Maverick with a 302 V8.

I know all about how to get myself through snow.

Now I drive a Subaru Outback and things are even better.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 02:38:40 PM »
Mine was Michigan snow storms. And an 80's Caprice Classic. Was THAT an experience!

I just recall last winter watching a Mustang do ballet across an entire intersection.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 02:44:11 PM »
I just recall last winter watching a Mustang do ballet across an entire intersection.

I used to drive in the midwest winter with a 89 Mustang GT that had about 300 ponies under the hood, wasn't hard to get around if you keep your foot out if and it was a lot of fun when you did stomp the gas.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 02:44:47 PM »
I remember an S-10 two years ago going sideways through an intersection at 15mph. 

I'd considered putting windshield wipers on the driver's side window after that little bit of excitement.

I installed a positraction 3rd member in the differential housing earlier this summer, instead.

Can't wait to try it out.   =D   

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 02:46:11 PM »

Make sure to pick a huge parking lot with out light poles. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 02:53:33 PM »
Imagine how well you would've done driving a Camaro
....oops

I used to drive in the midwest winter with a 89 Mustang GT that had about 300 ponies under the hood, wasn't hard to get around if you keep your foot out if and it was a lot of fun when you did stomp the gas.
Yes, yes it was  =D  Of course, my mother and grandfathers "This is how you drive in the snow" lesson was a large, open, empty parking lot in a snow storm making me do dough nuts till I was absolutely sick of them.  Why?  When you learn what sliding in snow feels like, you don't panic and do something stupid when it does start to happen.  You also know what it feels like when you are about to start slipping.  Part two of the lesson is how to avoid doing the spin out.  Was great fun and has served me well.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 03:05:48 PM »
Yeah I learned to drive in snow living in Utah.  Learned real quick. 
Owning 2 4x4's helps.
Evil spawn #1 and I were out running errands in the "snow" today. 
Me "Look, Scott, it's snowing"
Him "Where? I don't see snow"  :lol:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 10:57:13 PM »
It was around 60 degrees here in MT today. I can't complain.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2008, 12:24:01 AM »
I went to college in Southern Michigan. We closed school ONE DAY (the four years I was there) because of an ice storm that knocked out power.

I wake up one morning to the radio broadcasting all the school closings in the area.

Excited (as I love snow) I get ready for an enjoyable day of the crunch beneath my feet, the large flakes floating down and other fun in the snow.

I walk outside. TO BRIGHT SUNSHINE. Not a cloud in the sky. Not a flake on the ground. Snow was forecasted for LATER IN THE DAY and the school districts all cancelled.

Now, I stay in every time it snows. This is because I know how to drive in snow. No one else seems to.

I just avoid them.

I *almost* wish my college was like that.  But then, if it was it'd probably be closed through most of the winter.

The only time I remember them closing for snow was when it was coming down so thick you couldn't see five feet out in front of you.  That's the only time I remember campus closing for snow.  Hell, they don't even close it when snow chains are required to get up the hill to get to campus.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2008, 01:24:10 AM »
The only time I can remember my college in Central Pennsylvania suspending classes was because of a very heavy snow storm that overwhelmed the system. Many of the professors simply couldn't get to campus.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 05:49:56 PM »
Its offically winter here, saw a 4x4 turtle today in the median. 3" wet slick snowfall and the a-holes think they can still drive 65mph on Hwy 30.

Even saw a 4x4 pickup in the ditch with tire rolled off the rim.

I actually had to use 4x4 to get up a hill out of the Des Moines River bottom.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 07:58:08 PM by Charby »

Uranus is a gas giant.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 06:43:05 PM »
The problem in SC and NC is not snow.  The problem is snow followed by partial thaw followed by hard freeze.  You can spot the idiots fairly quickly.  I just stay inside and try to keep out of the way.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 07:35:59 PM »
I remember an S-10 two years ago going sideways through an intersection at 15mph. 

I'd considered putting windshield wipers on the driver's side window after that little bit of excitement.

I installed a positraction 3rd member in the differential housing earlier this summer, instead.

My truck's got a limper in it.  Mtnbkr can attest that it can be a fun ride on ice..... :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
My brother warned me straight up that a positraction differential can be good in snow and ice, but also very, very, bad. 

I hope it works ok this winter, because I installed the version that makes a slight clicking sound when cornering on dry pavement, based on his recommendations.  Putting up with all that noise had better have its benefits.   =D

Zed

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 09:19:21 PM »
My brother warned me straight up that a positraction differential can be good in snow and ice, but also very, very, bad. 

I hope it works ok this winter, because I installed the version that makes a slight clicking sound when cornering on dry pavement, based on his recommendations.  Putting up with all that noise had better have its benefits.   =D

Er, Limited Slips work better in Snow & Ice than Posi-Trac's do...
Si vis pacem, para bellum. (If you would have peace, prepare for war.)

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 10:12:01 PM »
We'll see.

My brother and I put a Detroit Locker in my little truck's 7.5", 10-bolt rear end, hence the faint clicking heard when going around corners.

Installation was actually quite easy, although it took a little getting used to, especially accelerating out of a turn, etc.

I figure I have another couple of weeks or so before the roads here give me the chance to really try the investment out.

At the worst, I'll have my wife drive the S-10 the 3/4 mile to her work, and I'll drive the Jeep Liberty the 15 miles to mine.   =D