Author Topic: Darpa: U.S. Geek Shortage Is National Security Risk  (Read 9956 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Darpa: U.S. Geek Shortage Is National Security Risk
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »
Never trust an IT security geek that can't pick a lock, plan a defensive posture or be clinically diagnosed with extreme delusional paranoia.

No argument there, but from a job perspective, the folks managing the network devices are separate from the folks managing building security.  Not only are they separate groups, they aren't even able to work in cross-functional groups because of policy (once again, my experiences, yours may be different). 

Yea, I need to dig out my CISSP books, study them a bit, and go take the test.  I've met legions of CISSP'ers that knew little to nothing about security, so it obviously can't be that hard.

The material isn't hard, there's just a lot of it and it covers a very wide range of topics (though not to any great depth).  It's really just a lot of memorization.  In all honesty, it's overkill for someone who's only job is managing a few routers or firewalls.  Those folks are better served by Cisco's security track which leaves out the non-IT stuff and focuses on actual IT security topics.  If you take the CCNA Security class, you'll know more about securing routers and switches, configuring firewalls, and general network security than any CISSP.

I'm going to jump back in once the 5th Ed of Shon Harris's book is released in a few weeks.  Unless work gets too busy or I get derailed by "real life", I'll probably be ready to take the exam by this Summer.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2010, 03:49:13 PM »
Outsourcing and minimizing company employees is nothing new and happens in all areas.

Good point.  I interviewed for a company back in 2006 for a Director of IT position where the primary job would be managing 2-3 employees (developers) and several external contractor relationships.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
How are greed and/or corporations endangering national security?

I was referring to the whole outsourcing-as-threat-to-national-security thing.  Assuming it were a threat, I find it facile to claim that it's not capitalism at fault, it's those scary corporations.  As if corporations are somehow the evil twin of capitalism.  I'm not inclined to blame either of the c-words, just corrupt individuals who participate in them. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2010, 04:04:22 PM »
I'd tend to assume DARPA has a broader overall view of the industry than any individual just from their larger data set. I'd also tend to think the current recession would make something of a surplus in almost every field, but that is a temporary thing.

I find it amusing to claim that outsourcing is an example of the free market in action. The reason it's economically advantageous to have Apu do it is because fed.gov has punitive tax rates for American employers.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2010, 06:11:07 PM »
Do you believe that government is responsible for outsourcing?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2010, 07:05:01 PM »
Do you believe that government is responsible for outsourcing?

I know for a fact that fed.gov  regulations and taxes make American workers far, far more expensive than foreign workers. They probably would never achieve parity with foreign workers, but they would undoubtedly be far more competitive (in terms of total cost of employment) with off shore workers.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »
I know for a fact that fed.gov  regulations and taxes make American workers far, far more expensive than foreign workers. They probably would never achieve parity with foreign workers, but they would undoubtedly be far more competitive (in terms of total cost of employment) with off shore workers.

On a non-geek related job, If I want to quote certain jobs, I get to pay some middleman company $6500, so I'm OSHA compliant   :mad: 

Otherwise, don't bother bidding..