Author Topic: Digital Watch search  (Read 10004 times)

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Digital Watch search
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:13:07 AM »
My normal watch is a Luminox 3100 series. It's a good watch, tough. Stands up to my job, oilfield. But I miss a good digital watch. So APS folk. What are some suggestions on a good, tough, water proof digital watch?  Price range under $300.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

taurusowner

Re: Digital Watch search
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »
I might be in the minority here, but I find the best watches are the $50ish Timex ones.  I'm in the military, and just starting my career in law enforcement.  And the only thing that sucks more than breaking your watch on the job, is breaking a $300 watch on the job.  When I look at websites like LAPoliceGear, 5.11, and other "tactical" sites that sell watches that cost multiple hundreds of dollars the only thing I can think it that the wearer of that watch is one slammed HMMWV door or one tussle on the ground at 2am away from being out $300.  I honestly don't know anyone in the military or law enforcement who takes those expensive watches seriously.

I can see spending a good chunk of money one a real nice dress watch if one plans on wearing a suit regularly.  But if the watch is meant to be worn out in the field doing a tough job, it's going to break.  It's up to you if you wanna break $50 or $300.

Sorry I can't be any help actually answering your question, but that's just what I think about expensive watches in a field environment.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:03:23 AM »
BM of Z, I think your search will begin and end with the Casio G-Shock series.  That is all.

http://www.gshock.com/

Last time I checked, I had about six or seven of them.  Almost all of them are a tough solar atomic model.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:18 AM »
I wore one of these for years and years: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Timex-Mens-Fashion-Digital-Indiglo-Watch/1146505?sourceid=1500000000000003260380&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=1146505

Heck, the only reason I stopped wearing it is because my wife hated the way it looks.  I was impressed in how well it held up to the abuse I gave it.

Expensive watches are nice for dress up occasions, but I like cheap timex for day in, day out work.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 02:43:48 PM »
Get yourself a cheap but solid digital watch.  There are a lot of them out there.  There is no sense in buying an expensive watch you may bugger up on the job or at play.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

The Lone Haranguer

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
I am pleased with my Casio G-Shock.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:32:10 PM »
I have some 20+ year old Timex Ironman digital that still works. I end up replacing the band every year, but the watch still works well.

On the other hand, a few years ago my girlfriend got me a newer Timex digital that died when it got wet in a rainstorm. I was supposed to be waterproof to 100 meters, but that didn't work. It was out of warranty by a year.

If you're serious about digital watches, check out the Casio G Shock line.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 05:56:23 PM »

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 06:35:23 PM »
I'll have to echo the sentiment for the G-Shock watches.  Very sturdy and very affordable. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »
Go retro.  Timex watch and a Spiedel band. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 06:51:47 PM »
I broke a Gshock.

Haven't actually physically broken or drowned a Timex yet. $25 at Walmart for the Ironman.

Now, I tried one of the Timex watches with the digital compass. That one messed up for some reason (and the compass was anything but accurate). But the Ironman and Atlantis watches from Timex have never failed me or my father.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 06:56:06 PM »
if you don't mind me asking, which gshock? some are more gshocky then others. =D something like a mudman or other master of g and you're in a whole different ball game, and price range. :angel:

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 07:03:26 PM »
if you don't mind me asking, which gshock? some are more gshocky then others. =D something like a mudman or other master of g and you're in a whole different ball game, and price range. :angel:

A standard Casio G-shock, one of the digital models that had the synchronization with the atomic clock. It was always strange anyway- seemed to have a mind of it's own.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-Black-Atomic-Solar-G-Shock/dp/B00009NH3R/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1268607934&sr=1-14

^^^^
One of these, IIRC.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:06:42 PM by Avenger29 »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »
I broke a Gshock.

Haven't actually physically broken or drowned a Timex yet. $25 at Walmart for the Ironman.

I've broken both.  Been wearing my present G Shock for about 9 months, it is one of the cheaper ($130) models.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 07:34:09 PM »
 =( Avenger29, i don't know how to say this. try not to let me offend you, i'm not trying to. that looks almost as bad as my old wilson watch, i loved that watch(but it was ugly as all get out =D), busted it on a doorknob i thought i had broken my wrist :lol: i broke the plastic that covered the buttons. it still worked for a few months but it ended up getting moisture in it and dieing. i have killed a drawer full of watches(all of them cheap =D) timex casio and nonames. at this point i won't buy a watch till i know a few people with the same model and it still working.(i count watch forums or i couldn't buy a watch [tinfoil]) [popcorn]here's the gshock forum. =D here's a review of the watch i've been wearing for around 15 months now. =D not my review. :lol: i couldn't wright that well if my life depended on it. =| i started back with digital watches with a 2300, i don't think i could break it if i was trying. >:D

P.S. sorry for rambling about something your probably not interested in, i'm bad to keep going when i get started. :facepalm:

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 07:40:13 PM »
I'm not offended. I brought it for the solar power/ atomic synch capibility, not the looks.

Was really disappointed when it both failed to deliver and failed to keep working...

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 01:20:22 AM »
I have the solar/atomic sync g-shock with the metal band.  I've beaten the tar out of this watch.  hitting walls, doors, etc.  I'm a little on the clumsy side at times.  :)   I have never broken anything on it. 

The only downsides:  The atomic sync doesn't always work.  It depends on how far you are from the time signal transmitters.  It also seems to work better if you leave it near a window or exterior wall.

The battery on it holds a charge pretty well, especially in the summer time.  Winter time, I occasionally have to charge it under a lamp for a few hours.  Combination of less sunlight and long sleeves. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 01:43:35 PM »
How long do the solar g-shocks go between charges?  Do they use an actual battery or a capacitor charged by solar?

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
On my wrist as I type is a Timex Ironman Triathlon purchased in 1985-86. The bezel is beat to hell and gone, but the crystal and guts are fine. Keeps pretty good time, as well.  =)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »
How long do the solar g-shocks go between charges?  Do they use an actual battery or a capacitor charged by solar?

Chris

Mine go for months between charges and I think they use a capacitator.  For those of mine that have the power-saving mode, I do enable it.  This probably stretches out the time between charges.  However, any time the solar models are in light bright enough to read by, they are charging up. 

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »
casio = solar charging battery

seiko = really cool generator set up charging a ?

citizen = solar charging a capacitor?

=D

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 08:32:05 PM »
When I wear a watch, which isn't so often lately, it's a G-Shock I got at Costco for $40 a few years ago. I think the model it 2608, looking at the back of it. WAVE CEPTOR/TOUGH SOLAR, according to the front. It's big and ugly, but it works well for me.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 10:15:53 PM »
hmm,

??? this one? =D

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 10:40:37 PM »
^^^ I have this very watch, also bought at Costco.  It actually spent some time strapped to the crossbar of my Suzuki dual-sport.  I swapped it out for another Casio solar atomic, but with analog hands, so it is easier to read while jouncing along. 

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 11:54:31 PM »
That's the one. Never drops below a Mid charge, even during our gloomy NW winters. Stays charged to High during the summer.

As a bonus, I noticed this weekend that the auto daylight savings time setting works correctly.