Author Topic: Digital Watch search  (Read 10028 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Digital Watch search
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 06:15:28 AM »
I'm seriously considering getting a G-shock.  This will be my first digital in nearly 20yrs.

I currently sport a Seiko Orange Monster that I picked up about 5yrs ago.  It's getting kind of beat up and I've been lightheartedly looking around.  The G-Shocks are attractive because of the features and price.  I really like the Mudman models, but I wouldn't be unhappy with any of them. 

Chris

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 11:48:56 AM »
I bought one of the early GShocks in the late '80s. It survived my last tour on submarines just fine. After about 5-6 years the band had giveout and the rubber around the watch had fallen apart but the watch kept running for almost 12 years on the original battery.
I went retro and started wearing analog watches a few years after that but with a cell phone on me 99% of the time now I haven't worn a wrist watch in about 5 years now.

ETA- I just looked at the prices on those things. CRIPES! the one I bought in '88 couldn't have been nore than about $60 or I couldn't have afforded it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:54:46 AM by RoadKingLarry »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »
I also had one of the original G-shocks as a kid, back in the 80's.  I think I got it for my 10th birthday in 1988.

I've been through 4-5 bands and 2 batteries.  It sat in a drawer for about 5+ years recently, forgotten, until I needed a digital watch.  I pulled it out and found it had a dead battery and went to WalMart to get it replaced, but it was finally a dead soldier.

The Lorus right next to it in the same sock drawer also had a broken band and a dead battery, but it revived okay.  The light no longer works on the Lorus, though.  That one is probably 15+ years old.

That "Riseman" model looks pretty cool.  I'd like to have one of those.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

darius

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 01:46:44 PM »
Get yourself a cheap but solid digital watch.  There are a lot of them out there.  There is no sense in buying an expensive watch you may bugger up on the job or at play.
Amen.  I use a quartz type with hands and a date.  The 30 dollar Timex I have now has the moonglow feature, which is nice for night time viewing.  Press the stem and the dial lights up.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Timexes are a good buy. Mine have all been waterproof and lasted several years without a battery change. The bands broke every year or so, of course. Then again, I ratchet mine down tight against the wrist and wear the watch everywhere. They ended up looking ugly at the 2-3 year mark (scratches on the dial, etc) but they were still working great. Replaced them when the band gave out the 2nd or 3rd time.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2010, 02:16:29 PM »
Mine go for months between charges and I think they use a capacitator.  For those of mine that have the power-saving mode, I do enable it.  This probably stretches out the time between charges.  However, any time the solar models are in light bright enough to read by, they are charging up. 

I have the G-2800B. It's a solar model as well. It worked well until the warranty expired. After that the battery won't last long at all even in power save mode. I've changed the battery with a new one and that didn't fix anything. Using the backlight once sends it into recovery mode no matter how long it's be in direct sunlight. So other than not being able to see the time at night it works well.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 04:47:49 PM »
:O

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 06:07:02 PM »

This
is what I was thinking of getting to replace my Marathon Type 1, Class 1.

Anyone have any input about this exact model?  ???
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 06:27:06 PM »
I would try some input, but the last new digital watch I bought was this one, in the early 70's. It is around here somewhere.

Since then all of my watches have had hands the move around the dial.  =|

bob

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 07:50:09 PM »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
:O

Wow. That e-ink watch is very cool.

I'll wait for more whiz-bang functions and a backlight though.
I promise not to duck.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2010, 09:41:45 PM »
I didn't even realize that bug-eyed smiley was clickable.  =(

The technology is neat.  The watch is ugly, like it's from the 1970s or something.  [barf]
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010, 10:43:52 AM »
I didn't even realize that bug-eyed smiley was clickable.  =(

The technology is neat.  The watch is ugly, like it's from the 1970s or something.  [barf]

I kind of like the look, but yeah, that would keep me from wearing it.

They're seriously under-leveraging the e-ink display tech though. I'd want one with way more display/information options. Ideally something that Bluetooth's to my phone and picks up caller ID and email & text summaries too.  =D
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2010, 02:32:25 PM »
 =D that would be fun for playing "dick tracy". [popcorn]

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2010, 01:21:09 AM »
I broke a Gshock.

I've got a couple of broken Casios laying around.  Both died in situations that would have cost a fortune to ruggedize them against, (when something hits your watch hard enough to leave your wrist stinging, the watch is allowed to break) so I'll pick up another one when I manage to kill the $10 cheapie I grabbed when the last one broke.

I do have a strong preference for analog/digital combos, though.  I like having the full day/date display, but for a quick glance to get the approximate time, hands are faster to read.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 01:24:45 AM by KD5NRH »

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2010, 01:27:54 AM »

This
is what I was thinking of getting to replace my Marathon Type 1, Class 1.

Anyone have any input about this exact model?  ???

Too much crap on the dial all the time; it's supposed to be a timepiece, and yet the time is what, an eighth of the display area?  If it had a full LCD dial with the ability to enlarge the time when you're not using the other stuff, it would make a lot more sense.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2010, 03:11:18 AM »
you have to admit, the tide and moon display would be handy if you liked to fish sail surf or were a werewolf [popcorn] oh and i have gotten so used to having day date month and year on my watch i don't think i could go back to just day date. [tinfoil] =| i never should have bought the riseman now the nice black and orange mudman just won't quite do. :facepalm:

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2010, 03:29:26 AM »
you have to admit, the tide and moon display would be handy if you liked to fish sail surf or were a werewolf

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to have everything including an RSS reader on my watch, but it all needs to get out of the way of the primary function, which is displaying the time in an easy-to-read, uncluttered manner.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2010, 03:42:32 AM »
fair enough, i like my extras on the main display. the only thing i don't like about my current watch is it won't stay on the barometer temp display. =D it takes about 30(well 5 or 10 it feels like 30 :lol:) seconds to load the pressure reading. =|

guess it takes all kinds. [popcorn]

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »

I do have a strong preference for analog/digital combos, though.  I like having the full day/date display, but for a quick glance to get the approximate time, hands are faster to read.

I like the digital/analog combos as well. I like the alarm feature and having a second time zone too. I had a few Casio combos that worked pretty good. I have an old stainless steel Armitron combo that has worked well for close to 20 years. The glass crystal has a few minor scratches, but it's worked great and looks great after a lot of use.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2010, 12:17:13 AM »
sorry to keep bumping this thread but i got a new toy, it was 3.99 :O well i bought some paracord, and a hat for my dad so closer to 40 :facepalm: but this thing is major cool for 3.99 [popcorn]

http://www.lapolicegear.com/trspsuco.html
here is the thread that got me started on it, well i can't find it now here's a pic(not mine) and a seemingly cheaper source [popcorn]
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showpost.php?p=2405707&postcount=7
http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=324944

it's alittle slow for my tastes, but it doesn't fish at all =D and is easy enough to read =) but has no lum :'(

here are some more choices if 3.99 just isn't enough cash outlay. =D

oh and they have a nice looking BOB, but i couldn't bring myself to spend that much cash right now. =) BOB Jr.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 01:19:56 AM »
Here you go.  "Old School" and "New School" at the same time.  (Safe for work)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.