Author Topic: Coleman lanterns, stoves, coolers, and stuff  (Read 9986 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Coleman lanterns, stoves, coolers, and stuff
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »
Spent the last few minutes perusing the Coleman web site, the result of a friend who mentioned heading to the mountains for a week.  Dang but it brings back memories.  The ubiquitous green cooler, the cemp stove, and the ssshhhhhhhhhhhh of a lantern occupied a bunch of my summers as a kid.  Fun times, that.  Spent a bunch of it traipsing all over Colorado in the back of a cabover camper, going wherever the urge took us that particular day.  Saw a lot of country during those summers, a lot of it that I've been back through recently.  Only this time I have a better appreciation for the geology and history, not just seeing it as a place to throw rocks in the river, pretend like I'm hunting bear, and send my mother into hystrionics by screaming at her from the top of a 100' tall tree (Hey, I had a good grip on the tree crown while it swung around like a kamikaze bungee.  Can't imagine why she was so upset.  Pfft... mothers!).

[Archie & Edith Bunker song] Those were the days...! [/Archie and Edith Bunker song]  =D

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Coleman lanterns, stoves, coolers, and stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:08 PM »
We still have old white gas Coleman stoves and lanterns as backups at the cabin.  My great grandfathers old white gas stove still works fine..  at least it did 3 years ago when I fired it up for the heck of it.  I don't miss them for routine use..  I love the newer propane versions...  but they worked great for a lot of years.  As I think about it I should get a few fresh cans of white gas since the stock up there is quite old!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:33:17 PM »
Five bucks says anyone forum member under the age of 40 has no idea what "white gas" is.

They probably also never pulled up to a frac tower overflow tank and filled up with drip, either. (Not that it helped any given the truck might, or might not, keep running afterwards.)

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »
Five bucks says anyone forum member under the age of 40 has no idea what "white gas" is.

Brad

<-Raises hand at 33! :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 09:37:49 PM by 41magsnub »

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41:22 PM »

They probably also never pulled up to a frac tower overflow tank and filled up with drip, either. (Not that it helped any given the truck might, or might not, keep running afterwards.)

Brad

37yo and not I have a Coleman "white gas" stove and lantern.  The stove is older than me and belonged to my grandparents.  I bought the lantern, a dual fuel model, a few years ago to go with the stove.  Shortly after purchasing the lantern, I found one of the classic green lanterns (single mantle version) at a yard sale for $3.  I ended up giving it to a camping/hunting buddy who had always supplied much of the hardware for my group's outings.

I try to keep a couple gallons of Coleman fuel on hand at all times.

White gas is a lighter form of gasoline without the additives IIRC.

Chris

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »
I think the dual fuel models of the stoves and lanterns would be about ideal to have around for extended utility outages and natural disasters.  The ability to either burn white gas or unleaded, which would be a lot easier to resupply, is pretty handy.  If a person were that prepared they would have unleaded gas cans around as well as the ability to siphon out of extra vehicles.  The plastic case the lanterns usually are in have space for a lot of spare mantels which is the only consumable besides fuel.

It makes me want to get one of each.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 10:15:17 PM »

<-Raises hand at 33! :)

31.  But my camping buddy is 59.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 10:52:32 PM »

Brad

Being in the over 40 crowd I wouldn't have made that bet with the group we have around here. Some of these youngsters now their stuff.

And that's a good thing. =)

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 10:54:52 PM »

Bluegrass festivals every summer, growing up in the eighties.  How do you think Momma cooked the eggs in the morning? 

I have fond memories of the Coleman stove, and I also love the sound of a brass zipper in a canvas tent in the morning.  It sounds like calm.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 10:55:18 PM »
Being in the over 40 crowd I wouldn't have made that bet with the group we have around here. Some of these youngsters now their stuff.

Maybe, but none of 'em have had a go at what 'drip' is.  ;)

Brad
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 11:02:36 PM »
Maybe, but none of 'em have had a go at what 'drip' is.  ;)
Brad

Probably because I've lived on the southern east coast all my life and have never been near a refinery.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »
i have a dual fuel lantern & stove and a mess of "antique" lanterns
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 11:16:26 PM »
Probably because I've lived on the southern east coast all my life and have never been near a refinery.

Chris

No refinery involved.  We're talking country, as in "way out in the...".  It was before OSHA and the EPA had a go at the petroleum business.

Good try though.  :lol:

Brad
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 11:21:41 PM »
Maybe, but none of 'em have had a go at what 'drip' is.  ;)

Brad

The drip? :O How did this tread go so far off track so fast?

Yes I have been working hard in the shop on a tractor that is getting picked up tomorrow and it has involved something hard.  >:D

jim

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 11:23:30 PM »
The drip? :O How did this tread go so far off track so fast?

Yes I have been working hard in the shop on a tractor that is getting picked up tomorrow and it has involved something hard.  >:D

jim

Thread, meet cliff.  That first step is a doozie...   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Brad
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 11:28:15 PM »
I would almost take the bet that the under 40 don't know what drip I'm talking about.

jim

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
Spent a bunch of it traipsing all over Colorado in the back of a cabover camper, going wherever the urge took us that particular day.  Saw a lot of country during those summers, a lot of it that I've been back through recently.

You ever get up to Taylor Park north of Gunnison  ???

My Oklahoma raised mom used to talk about drip gas.  =)

I still have our 1960s vintage 2-burner Coleman stove.  When unleaded became universal, I just started siphoning gas out of the pickup instead of buying white gas.  I never could see any difference.  The stove still works okay except it doesn't shut off completely.  The needle valve is apparently worn just enough to not completely stop the flame.  You have pull out the tank and crack the lid to bleed off the pressure.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 11:37:02 PM »
No refinery involved.  We're talking country, as in "way out in the...".  It was before OSHA and the EPA had a go at the petroleum business.

Good try though.  :lol:
Brad

I spent a lot of time in the country, but not on farms and such (did some time putting up hay for gentleman farmers in horse country though).

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 11:40:28 PM »
You ever get up to Taylor Park north of Gunnison  ???

Yep.  Never made the pass, though.  Dad had a fondness for Cuchara canyon and the road between Blue Mesa Reservoir and Lake City.  My favorite spots now are between Creed/Lake City and Silverton/Ouray.  One of these days I'm going to take an entire month and do nothing but stay off the pavement.

Was close to there two years ago.  Coming down from Brekenridge.  Almost to Buena Vista when one of Colorado's Finest decided my Texas plates deserved a "Visitor's Fee". (Never mind that I was in the middle of about a dozen vehicles all doing the same speed, and just trying to blend in.  I was the one who needed reminding not to break the law in the great state of Colorado.)

Brad
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 12:34:51 AM »

Brad

I'd almost bet 50 internetz that there ain't 1 in 10 people here that have a clue about what you are talking about :D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 12:59:34 AM »
I've heard the term "drip" in relation to moonshine. And some 'shine will run a car. Is that what your talking about?

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 09:30:28 AM »
I've heard the term "drip" in relation to moonshine. And some 'shine will run a car. Is that what your talking about?

Nope.

Brad
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »
IIRC, the drip came from natural gas wells  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »
I grew up in Iowa, drip for us was the fill location for an underground fuel oil tank.

I use white gas all the time for my lanterns and stoves, I even use it my dual fuel stuff because its cleaner than unleaded pump gas.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
I grew up in Iowa, drip for us was the fill location for an underground fuel oil tank.

Hmm.  We never used that term out east.  It was just the fuel oil tank, furnace oil, etc.  Never heard the term drip except for a leaky faucet.

Chris