Author Topic: Coleman lanterns, stoves, coolers, and stuff  (Read 9987 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Coleman lanterns, stoves, coolers, and stuff
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »
and they are a really interesting design, mantle lantern running without having the oil pressurized. i've see people comparing them to a 50watt bulb, sounds like it would be just the thing for working/reading when the power is out in the winter. =D oh i have also heard(not read online) that they can blow up, so maybe regulate them to rooms with doors? [tinfoil] hopefully that's bull, but somehow. it sounds likely.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2010, 02:24:01 PM »
In some really rural areas oil or propane laterns are necessities.  Power can be a little spotty out in the boonies.  When I was a kid we kept them full all the time because it was a good week if the power only went out once.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2010, 02:34:59 PM »
Not really.  Many areas of the country weren't fully electrified until the early 50's.  Even then, many people preferred oil lamps because of either familiarty or expense.

Brad

I heard about a guy that owned a bar in MT.  Before electricity, he had oil lamps plumbed into a big tank with a hand pressure pump.  When the lights got low, he had to go in the back and pump up the tank.

When he finally got electricity, the first thing he did was install an electric pump on the oil tank  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 06:27:33 PM »
wifes uncle was a dairy farmer in minn.  lived on the old home place. he had to modernize things and that required electricity for those new fangled machines. the power poles ran right past the farm house to the barn  did NOT  have a drop feeding house.  till the day he died he hand pumped the water in the house
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 10:31:43 PM »
My dad was putting wiring in old farm houses in northern Missouri in the mid to late '50's. My great-grandfather passed away in 1986 at the age of 94. He still didn't have running water.

I have about eight or ten oil lamps around here. It's been a few years but I've been without power for a week straight more then once. It's funny I haven't been without power for more then a few hours since I got the generator.

All of the Coleman's I have around here now are propane. I need to fix that. I'll add that to my list. Or I need to see how many of the old ones dad still has.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 11:35:03 PM »
Dad's home didn't have electricity when he graduated from high school in '55. My grandparents didn't have indoor plumbing till the mid '60s. I remember visiting and having to use the outhouse and water being drawn from the well with a long thin bucket.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 11:38:56 PM »
I still have a working outhouse. :O

Let's see how many forum members have one of those.

jim

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 11:54:45 PM »

We have a real half-dugout down on the ranch complete with outhouse.  WPA issue no less.  It says so - the big "WPA" cast right into the base is kinda a giveaway.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:08:55 AM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2010, 12:10:23 AM »
I need to go take a pic of the outhouse, inside and out. I'm not sure how many would be brave enough to use it. ;)

jim

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2010, 12:51:40 AM »
If it's like ours it's usually full of rattlesnakes.

Brad
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 09:19:55 AM »
I need to go take a pic of the outhouse, inside and out. I'm not sure how many would be brave enough to use it. ;)

jim

I wonder why people are scared to use an outhouse.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2010, 09:23:34 AM »

jim

We have an outhouse next to a primitive cabin on our land.

I'm not sure if you would call it "working" as the roof has fallen in.  I need to fix it up when I get one of them round toots.

Back when we were logging, our camp outhouses were much more out than they were house  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »
I wonder why people are scared to use an outhouse.

Spiders and wasps.

Trust me, the day after chili night is a bad time to launch yourself out of the bathroom with a series of fresh wasp stings in a sensitive place.  Especially when you ave to go back for the toilet paper.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Had a WPA outhouse on the little farm I had.  The 2X4s were actually 2 whole American inches by 4 whole American inches. We had just moved in there about a month when one night about 2AM I heard a car crunching on the gravel turnaround.

Couldn't see who it was, so I went out the back porch with my shotgun but then could see it was a State Trooper car.  I leaned the shotgun in the corner.

"Hello?" I hollered.

Answer came back, "Bert?"

"No, Bert doesn't live here any more."

The Trooper then walked back toward the house into the porch light, "Oh, sorry, Bert told us we could use the outhouse if we needed to."

I had to laugh, but said, "Hey, that's OK with me.  Anytime."

Trooper went back toward the outhouse, using his flashlight.

Kept it well stocked with TP and kept it reasonably clean after that.

I have some pics of me in that outhouse reading the sunday comics with a cup of coffee, but I can't find them.

An amusey:

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:50:24 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2010, 04:44:44 PM »
Spiders and wasps.

Trust me, the day after chili night is a bad time to launch yourself out of the bathroom with a series of fresh wasp stings in a sensitive place.  Especially when you ave to go back for the toilet paper.

I usually kick the outhouse if it hasn't been used in a while. I figure it gives the wasps fair warning I'm there and if you don't leave I'll kill you.

Mosquitos are probably the biggest problem where I live.

Uranus is a gas giant.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »
Any suggested methods or repellents for keeping the spiders/snakes/wasps away from the outhouse?

Also a bit on top. I recently acquired an MSR pocket rocket backpack stove... Clicky..  Looking at the design of this little guy I wonder if there is a way I can make an attachment containing the glass encasement and a mantle. This sucker will run for a full hour with it's 8oz. tank on full blast, so I presume it will run substantially longer on it's lowest "simmer" setting. I'm thinking ultra-lightweight lantern here, sans hand pump. Thoughts? (btw it runs on a mixture of isobutane and propane)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »
I want to build an outhouse in my backyard for a quaint tool shed / pond pumphouse/ wifi relay
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 05:07:37 PM »
Spiders and wasps.

I just check quickly for nests and webs around and under the seat.  Do they really set up camp anywhere beyond right around the seat?  Spiders further in wouldn't be a problem, and wasps, well, that's a worry.  I tend to used outhouse-equipped campgrounds in the off-season, so if there's a nest in the vicinity (only found one once) I just use the men's.  It was pretty chilly, so I probably didn't need to worry, but why risk it?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
Several loggers using the same outhouse in the winter results in a brown stalagmite reaching even up to the seat hole.

You have to start aiming off to either side, or else bust down the tower with a stick.  :laugh:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2010, 08:22:08 PM »

jim

35 years old.

I don't know when I got potty trained, but I do know that once I did it was a long cold walk. Outhouse until I was 4 1/2 years old. After that I had plumbing at my mom's, but dad put an outhouse on his new place, stayed that way until I was at least 10 when he somewhat civilized the place for his new wife. We drove down o the river to take a bath too. Not really ever poor, it was just how we lived. My dad would have made a good hippie except for the fact he doesn't toke and always works.

Dad also bought Aladdin lamps for his new place and converted them to electric, I think the plan was to convert them back if need be.

I currently own a dual fuel Peak 1 stove and a propane lantern in Coleman stuff. Part of my  SHTF prep that needs to get done is buy much more. Ideally I want at least one of everything in both propane and white gas, and spare parts.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2010, 04:10:13 AM »
I'm pretty well set up with stuff to maintain my comfort during power outages --propane stove and grill, flashlights, battery lanterns, extra food and coffee and powdered as well as canned milk.  Ammo and water, of course.

Not exactly your total SHTF package, but enough to get by before a total SHTF is officially declared and the Denver zombies start heading this way on foraging expeditions.

One thing that bothered me was how to stay reasonably warm (that's not a mere "comfort" issue with me) during winter power outages.  (I don't like those cat heaters, or anything that requires a "well-ventilated area.")

So I bought a little 2-cycle Chicago 800/900 Watt generator on coupon-sale for $90 from Harbor Freight and figured I could run it outside on the balcony and feed about 400W of lamps and a small hot plate (another 400 W)  with a fan to blow warm air around.  Not much, but enough to keep the place reasonably above absolute zero.

Problem:  gas vapors. 

I can't store it in the apartment and if I keep it out on the balcony covered up, it gets to be about 120dF out there in summer*, which is near the boiling point of winter gasoline, and at this altitude, even closer. 

OK, so I can  run the float bowl dry and drain the gas, but there's always that couple of ounces that stay in the tank.

Any idea as to how to thoroughly dry out that tank without using rags and such so the fuel tank will not emit vapors for a month?

I was thinking of ordering another gas cap and sealing up the tiny vent hole, just for storage, but if anyone has a better solution, I'd like to hear it.

Terry, 230RN

*Just a trick of the way the building is laid out and the angle of the afternoon summer sun.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:57:14 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2010, 09:35:32 AM »
Any suggested methods or repellents for keeping the spiders/snakes/wasps away from the outhouse?

Also a bit on top. I recently acquired an MSR pocket rocket backpack stove... Clicky..  Looking at the design of this little guy I wonder if there is a way I can make an attachment containing the glass encasement and a mantle. This sucker will run for a full hour with it's 8oz. tank on full blast, so I presume it will run substantially longer on it's lowest "simmer" setting. I'm thinking ultra-lightweight lantern here, sans hand pump. Thoughts? (btw it runs on a mixture of isobutane and propane)

They already make such a lantern for those cans.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___86640

Uranus is a gas giant.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2010, 09:43:45 AM »
Any idea as to how to thoroughly dry out that tank without using rags and such so the fuel tank will not emit vapors for a month?

Pull the tank, rinse with denatured alcohol, and allow to dry thoroughly before reinstalling.  Do not leave in the tank as it will corrode or dissolve anything that isn't alcohol-tolerant.

Brad
-HankB

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2010, 06:23:40 PM »
Many thanks to HT and Charby.