Author Topic: Optics for .50-cal guns coming to Afghanistan  (Read 9974 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Optics for .50-cal guns coming to Afghanistan
« on: April 19, 2011, 06:52:48 AM »
http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/04/marine-heavy-machine-gun-optics-041811w/

By Dan Lamothe - Staff writer
Posted : Monday Apr 18, 2011 8:37:34 EDT

In response to an urgent requirement from units downrange, Marines in Afghanistan will soon field a new optic for their heavy machine guns, including the .50-caliber M2 and 40mm Mark 19 grenade launcher.

A $2.34 million contract was awarded in March to Leupold & Stevens Inc., of Beaverton, Ore., for 728 scopes. Each scope sells individually for about $3,150, according to Marine documents.

Leupold calls them MK 8 Close Quarters Battle Scout Sniper optics, but Marine officials said they will not be used on sniper rifles. The heavy day optic, or HDO, will be a long-range sighting system for heavy machine guns, documents say.

The urgent need statement was submitted in April 2010, and endorsed by operating forces with 3rd Marine Division out of Okinawa, Japan. The M2 and MK19 have effective ranges of at least 3,500 meters and 1,700 meters, respectively, but no optics were fielded that allowed Marines to consistently engage enemies at those distances, the documents state.

“The currently provided iron, image intensified and thermal sighting system either offer limited detection ranges or do not enable the required employment methods, which are based largely on the need for range-corrected aiming points, regardless of range, lighting condition or sighting device,” the document states.

The new optic will be used with Leupold’s Marine Tactical Milling Reticle, or M-TMR. It was designed to prevent Marines from needing to perform math on the fly to estimate range and to work in open desert, heavy cover and urban terrain.

Leupold officials said they have gone to extremes to ensure the optic is capable of withstanding shock and vibration. It will be mounted on the weapon with the Ballistic Extended Rail Mount, or BERM, which provides Picatinny rail space for optics and other equipment, Marine officials said.

The Corps bought the scopes through a sole-source contract, meaning it could find no one else capable of providing them in a timely fashion. This effort continues the Corps’ shift toward fielding day optics on nearly every infantry weapon. In the last few years, Marine officials have fielded optics for the 5.56mm M16A4 rifle, M4 carbine, and M249 squad automatic weapon and the 7.62 mm M240B machine gun.

Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Optics for .50-cal guns coming to Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »
I've read that universal issue of optics for infantry rifles brings an amazing performance boost to the common infantryman.

Is it the same with machineguns?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:07:42 AM »
I'm sure it does, it is very good to see pretty much every Marine with an ACOG, just worry that it will be the death of iron sight marksmanship.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »
Carlos Hathcock turned a regular .50 cal MG into a sniping weapon by adding a scope back in the 1960s. That's where the idea for the .50 cal sniper rifle came from IIRC. I can't see this being a bad thing, unless the enemy gets their hands on it, of course.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 08:52:21 AM »
http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/leupold-mark-8-cqbss/

Reticle: Horus H27 with illuminated dot; M-TMR with illuminated cross-hairs (tested)
Lens Coating: index matched lens system with diamond coat
Adjustment Markings: pinch & turn auto-locking 0.10 mil
Main Tube Diameter: 34 mm
Eyepiece Design: lockable fast-focus
Magnification: 1.1-8X
Linear Field of View: 31-4.9 meters at 100 meters
Exit Pupil: 8.0-3.0 mm
Weight: 23.2 ozs.
Length: 11¾"
Mounting Area: 6½"
Objective Aperture: 24 mm
Eye Relief: 3.7"-3.3"
Elevation Adjustment Range: 100 m.o.a.
Windage Adjustment Range: 100 m.o.a.; BDC rings are available for MK 262 Mod 1 77-gr. 
5.56x45 mm NATO and M118 LR 175-gr. 7.62x51 mm NATO
Accessories: flip-open lens covers and a 2½" sun shade are standard.
Suggested Retail Price: $4,000

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 10:07:53 AM »
So how much does the Mk19 drop at max range?  Doesn't that have sort of a rainbow trajectory?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:54:04 AM »
So how much does the Mk19 drop at max range?  Doesn't that have sort of a rainbow trajectory?
A whole bunch. There is an article about the Mk19 GMG in one of the gun mags. To reach it's maximum range, the rounds climb to 70 feet.

I'm not sure how the CQBSS scope will work on that.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

erictank

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 11:59:34 AM »
Leupold calls them MK 8 Close Quarters Battle Scout Sniper optics

"Close Quarters Battle" and "Scout Sniper" - aren't those two phrases, like, mutually-exclusive? ???

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 01:08:32 PM »
Not really. I'm betting that Leupold is interested in making sure that people know the scopes can be used for either purpose. From the looks of them, they sure are built like a tank, though!
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:26:19 PM »
I've heard stories of VN guys pounding in stakes with their Leupolds with no effect on the scope.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 02:45:55 PM »
...I really hope that no one is that dumb.  =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »
So are we going to have someone come around and say the military should buy two for each rifle so a spare is available when one gets sent back for repairs? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »
I've read that universal issue of optics for infantry rifles brings an amazing performance boost to the common infantryman.

Is it the same with machineguns?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Yes, I had the chance to fire an M240 with an optic from a moving boat (20-25 kts) at a target on shore.  The difference in the number of hits between optics and iron sights was noticeable.  Same thing for an M14 from the same boat.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
I wish I could see Leupold's manufacturing lines to see what makes these particular scopes worth over $3k . . . several times more than many of their other models.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
The new optic will be used with Leupold’s Marine Tactical Milling Reticle, or M-TMR. It was designed to prevent Marines from needing to perform math

ROFL  :laugh: 

...I really hope that no one is that dumb.  =|

Even a Marine would know to use an e-tool, rock, rifle butt, Ka-Bar pommel, or just about ANYTHING else. Most scopes are pretty light, anyway. Wouldn't be much use as hammers.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »
All I can do is tell you the story I heard.  =D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2011, 07:07:46 PM »
"Close Quarters Battle" and "Scout Sniper" - aren't those two phrases, like, mutually-exclusive? ???

Not when you're running an optic that can switch between 1x power for close in use to 4-8x power for longer ranges.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
I wish I could see Leupold's manufacturing lines to see what makes these particular scopes worth over $3k . . . several times more than many of their other models.

The ones with the horus reticles are 2500ish, throw in some additional robustness and type-testing to make them suitable for USMC, and yeah, 4k isn't that out of line.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »

Honestly, I'm a bit tired of this. There is a reason why quality stuff can often cost more, and this is doubly so for optics. Much of Leupold's line is civilian/hunting grade. It's their bread and butter. They will replace/repair just about anything broken, but it's not made to extremely high durability standards.

Insanely durable and usable optics cost money. Lots and lots of money. $4K for a durable variable power scope is not out of line in the least, it's what stuff costs. 

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 11:43:51 PM »
Speaking of quality optics, seems like an independent test company could be set up to measure the quality of various scopes & acogs. I am not aware of any "consumer report" reviews that can provide real test results on glass distortion, clarity, and focus.

I'm no optics expert, but I have to imagine that a lot of it could be measured with some basic sets of lasers and photo sensors to independently review manufacturers' products.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 11:46:34 PM »
Why do we need that, when we have magazine articles that begin with, "The elk were making their way slowly down the slope, as I eased my rifle into position..."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
Speaking of quality optics, seems like an independent test company could be set up to measure the quality of various scopes & acogs. I am not aware of any "consumer report" reviews that can provide real test results on glass distortion, clarity, and focus.

I'm no optics expert, but I have to imagine that a lot of it could be measured with some basic sets of lasers and photo sensors to independently review manufacturers' products.
It takes some hardware to do a proper job. You'll need a spectroradiometer and a collimated white light source to measure spectral transmission across the entire visual range. Objectively evaluating resolution should include MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) testing, which normally requires a good collimated source and (for an afocal system) a good reference lens, along with an appropriate image analyzer and associated software. Add a few miscellaneous stages and such so you can measure off-axis results, too.

The presence of a reticle in a riflescope is an added complication in interpreting the results.

It CAN be done, but there really isn't enough of a market - that is, a paying market - to justify the up-front costs of setting up a "consumer report" type of operation for sporting optics.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 02:45:13 PM »
A whole bunch. There is an article about the Mk19 GMG in one of the gun mags. To reach it's maximum range, the rounds climb to 70 feet.

I'm not sure how the CQBSS scope will work on that.

-20/40/50+ MOA mount.  Given an internal elevation range of 100MOA, close range and then a total of 100MOA elevation could be obtained, which would take care of the rainbow.   Similar, but more extreme to what is done on the LR rifles...my 338 comes stock with a -20MOA rail, which gives me 70MOA total, enough to reach out to 1800+yd without a holdover.  Otherwise, it would be limited to <1450. (btw, that 338lm trajectory "rainbows" up almost 40 feet to get to 1800yd (and that's with a 2700fps muzzle velocity).

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »
Okay, dumb question time....

(this presumes an M2 or Mk-19 mounted in a vehicle turret)

How is an optic with only a few inches of eye relief supposed to be properly used on a spade gripped weapon where you can't get your face that close up to the works? And if you do manage to scooch up that close to the backside of an M2 or Mk-19 without having it kick up into your septum, just how well is the gunner going to be able to hold said weapon steady and on target during shooting with any amount of magnification?