Author Topic: Optics for .50-cal guns coming to Afghanistan  (Read 9973 times)

birdman

• friend
Re: Optics for .50-cal guns coming to Afghanistan
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 06:54:21 PM »
Okay, dumb question time....

(this presumes an M2 or Mk-19 mounted in a vehicle turret)

How is an optic with only a few inches of eye relief supposed to be properly used on a spade gripped weapon where you can't get your face that close up to the works? And if you do manage to scooch up that close to the backside of an M2 or Mk-19 without having it kick up into your septum, just how well is the gunner going to be able to hold said weapon steady and on target during shooting with any amount of magnification?

I had the same thought...google the elcan heavy weapon sight, that is the kind of eye relief I would expect for m2/mk19 use.  Now, on a 249 or 240, I can see using a normal scope like the leupy we are discussing.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Optics for .50-cal guns coming to Afghanistan
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 01:54:47 AM »
Why do we need that, when we have magazine articles that begin with, "The elk were making their way slowly down the slope, as I eased my rifle into position..."

You forgot the, "Dear Penthouse,"
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."