Author Topic: Fixing a Bent Exhaust Tip?  (Read 9963 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Fixing a Bent Exhaust Tip?
« on: October 28, 2011, 07:49:10 PM »
Some Jackwagon apparently backed into my truck at work this morning. It looks like they hit my exhaust pipes with a receiver hitch (see pic below) and bent one of them in. I know there are expander tools specifically designed for this, but does anyone have any field expedient suggestions for repairing this without me buying a specialized tool and without cracking the metal?

I'd like to do this without taking the exhaust off as this is my diesel truck with the commie pinko diesel particulate filter built into the exhaust system, and uninstalling would be a pain. I also have to be careful not to bang on the thing like a gorilla, again because of the particulate filter. I don't need this to be perfect - I just want to get most of the dent out.

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Fixing a Bent Exhaust Tip?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »
Put a heat shield between the pipes and the car body, then heat the dented part to nearly red hot with a torch and bend the piece as close as you can to the original shape.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »
insert long round bar and roll it around to pull it out gradually
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:19:33 PM »
Take a large jaw Crescent wrench and tighten it until it just slips onto the tail pipe.  Apply slight pressure moving the wrench about a half inch at each tweak.  Repeat until the shape suits you.  CAUTION: Do NOT do this with the tail pipe hot or with the engine running. :angel:

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:30:29 AM »
Take a large jaw Crescent wrench and tighten it until it just slips onto the tail pipe.  Apply slight pressure moving the wrench about a half inch at each tweak.  Repeat until the shape suits you.  CAUTION: Do NOT do this with the tail pipe hot or with the engine running. :angel:

I'd start here, then use light hammer work to smooth it out. You need a round dolly to go inside the pipe to hit against, piece of round bar, the caps from oxygen/weld gas bottles often work if you have those, a really big socket will also work. Light hammer work!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 09:51:57 AM »
Tail pipe expander. You should be able to borrow one from an auto parts chain outlet.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 11:43:25 AM »
Tail pipe expander. You should be able to borrow one from an auto parts chain outlet.

Cool, that's like the one I linked to above. ;)

Chris

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 12:40:21 PM »
Every parts store lends these. There are two kinds - one that has a sort of a step and works for most pipe sizes and another that is more cylindrical and is for either larger or smaller pipes.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 01:00:03 PM »
Thanks fellers! I'll try the parts store route and see about actually using the right tool for the right job. :)

I wouldn't be opposed to buying one for 20 ducats via mtnbkr's Amazon link, but the pipes are a bit bigger than that one stretches to. The ones that fit seem to run at least double that, which is a bit much for a one time (hopefully) use tool. If a parts store will rent or lend one to me, I think that's the ticket.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 02:12:22 PM »
Who would have guessed auto parts stores would have a tool to lend specifically designed to straighten tail pipes bent by trailer hitches?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2011, 02:21:12 PM »
I'd like to do this without taking the exhaust off as this is my diesel truck with the commie pinko diesel particulate filter built into the exhaust system, and uninstalling would be a pain. I also have to be careful not to bang on the thing like a gorilla, again because of the particulate filter. I don't need this to be perfect - I just want to get most of the dent out.

LOL

Wait till you see the Selective Catalytic Reduction systems we'll be adding. That is right- "adding" as "in addition to", not replacing.

I think the heavy duty trucks are already starting to add them. The machine makers will adding them over the next 5 years. I'm not sure what the time line is for these light duty/ passenger pick-ups.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 02:36:48 PM »
Sell this truck and buy a new one.  It's been ruined.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
Wait till you see the Selective Catalytic Reduction systems we'll be adding. That is right- "adding" as "in addition to", not replacing.

You're ruining Christmas. :P

Do I even want to know what this is and how it will affect gas mileage? The f250s made in the year prior to mine without the DPF get like 6MPG more than me.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2011, 07:06:22 PM »
What, nobody's said it yet?

Detcord.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
You're ruining Christmas. :P

Do I even want to know what this is and how it will affect gas mileage? The f250s made in the year prior to mine without the DPF get like 6MPG more than me.

At this point, it is still proprietary information. So I only know my own engines and haven't seen anything from competitors. You'll see the result in a few years.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 12:49:56 AM »
I'm *really* glad my truck is a '96.....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 02:26:48 AM »
Is there a really seedy looking exhaust shop with an old fat guy running it anywhere near you?  Some of those guys are a lot more honest than they look, and will do something like this on a slow day for $10-15 just so you'll come back when you have real work to be done.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 11:10:10 AM »
I'm *really* glad my truck is a '96.....

I'm really glad my truck is a '76.   =)

Just wish now that it was a 4wd ...   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 09:26:19 PM »
I'm really glad my truck is a '76.

Exhaust tips made from sch80 galvanized pipe? 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 10:21:46 AM »
Exhaust tips made from sch80 galvanized pipe? 

Ha!  :lol:

There ain't no exhaust tip.  It ends at the output of the muffler right in front of the rear axle.  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin