Author Topic: Tech Support Please? Cordless Phone Interrupts Wireless Router  (Read 5041 times)

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
If there are any tech-heads here who can help me with this problem, I'd appreciate it.  My landlord's cordless phone interrupts his wireless router, knocking any computers connected to it off-line.  The interruption occurs as soon as he answers the phone and goes away a couple of minutes after he hangs up, so I'm pretty sure what's going on here.

I know my Linksys router has ten channels (0-9), but are those changes in the actual frequency used?  I'm hoping that if we try a different channel that the interference will cease.  He's using a Linksys B-G, btw (I'm not sure which model).

Any additional info would be appreciated.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Tech Support Please? Cordless Phone Interrupts Wireless Router
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:44:21 AM »
2.4gHz.

Easiest solution is to get rid of those phones and get 5.8gHz phones. Longer range, too.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »
What Maned said.

Though, I'm not sure how 5.8 will go further than 2.4.  The higher the frequency, the shorter the distance traveled and the easier it is blocked by structures.  Though, that is assuming the same transmission power and equal antenna gain.

I haven't purchased a home phone since we started using cellphones.

Chris

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »
Gonna third what maned and mtnbkr said.  The wireless router and cordless phone all operate at a frequency of 2.4GHz.  Simple solution is get a phone w/ a different frequency (changing the channel on the router won't work, as it's too narrow of a change in frequency).  Mtnbkr, I don't know about the extended range on the 5.8 phones either, but that's what the box is claiming in most cases...  Must be a higher power transmitter....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 09:46:14 AM »
Yep, generally the lower the frequency the better "punch" the signal has to get through barriers.  For example the Engenius phone system which has ultra long ranged handsets uses 900 mhz still for that reason.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 09:48:09 AM »
It's not that it's higher power, it's that it's less subject to interference, whereas the others can pick up more noise at the same distance, AFAIK.

Wireless networking and microwaves put out 2.4gHz.

900mHz is subject to interference from baby monitors and lots of other things.

5.8 is pretty clean yet.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:50:29 AM »
Mtnbkr, I don't know about the extended range on the 5.8 phones either, but that's what the box is claiming in most cases...  Must be a higher power transmitter....

That or a higher gain antenna (or both).  We had transitioned to cellphones full time about the same time the 5.8ghz phones became commonplace so I'm not familiar with the marketing claims. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 09:56:38 AM »
It's not that it's higher power, it's that it's less subject to interference, whereas the others can pick up more noise at the same distance, AFAIK.

Excellent point.  I don't play much in the gigahertz range, so I forget how much quieter it can be " up there". Smiley

BTW, if you're into wireless computer networking, a group of amateur radio folks did some fascinating work with long distance 802.11 networking in the Shenandoah Valley a few years ago.  IIRC, they went 34 miles and others have stretched it out to over 100.  Once you get over 10 miles, the error checking algorithm assumes the delay is actually lost packets and retransmits.

http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/IEEE_80211_Experiments_In_Virginias_Shenandoah_Valley.pdf

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »
I know someone with one of those ICOM receivers with the screen, and it picks up a lot of totally unsecure store cameras at 2.4gHz, which is kind of scary.

Those things are likely to drop in price, as they'll lose analog TV functionality at the beginning of next year!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 11:44:40 AM »
Um ... don't talk on the phone while you are using the computer ...Huh?

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 12:20:34 PM »
Unfortunately there is no way my landlord is going to spring for a new phone, not when my lease expires in three weeks.  I'll just have to put up with it until I move out.

I don't get to tell my landlord when he should make phone calls.

I suppose I can try to talk him into putting the cable modem/router in a public place so that I can use a CAT-5 connection.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 03:00:34 PM »
Well, even though I didn't ask him, my landlord offered to stop using the cordless phone and switch back to his corded set.   smiley

Otherguy Overby

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »
Seems to me the newer "N" series routers broadcast at 5 mhz, if you don't broadcast at legacy 2.4 frequencies.
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 04:18:18 PM »
Seems to me the newer "N" series routers broadcast at 5 mhz, if you don't broadcast at legacy 2.4 frequencies.

Pre-N. It's still not a standard. I would most certainly not buy into it yet.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 05:28:14 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind is that there are different types of 2.4 GHz phones (even among digital models).  Older ones, that were designed back before everyone had a LinkSys in the closet, will camp on about a third of the 802.11 spectrum, and essentially black out network comms in that band.  Many of the newer models will play nicely with wireless routers, by negotiating with their base station to use a channel that's not otherwise in use.

I have two different 2.4GHz phones in my house; the older one always takes the network down when we use it, and the newer one never interferes with the network at all.

Since BrokenKid's computer is on the wlan, judicious use of the old phone can sometimes terminate endless IM conversations between her and her friends (plus provide hours of amusement).  Of course, the cron job in the server that cuts off her interwebs at 10pm does a pretty good job of that, too.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2008, 05:31:55 AM »
2.4gHz.

Easiest solution is to get rid of those phones and get 5.8gHz phones. Longer range, too.

+3
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2008, 05:34:17 AM »
Tin cans and string.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2008, 05:45:32 AM »
Of course, the cron job in the server that cuts off her interwebs at 10pm does a pretty good job of that, too.

Oohhhh, I LIKE that.  Thing 1 is a good bit off from the IM thing, but I like the idea of using technology to foil her all night chat plans (that and not having a computer in the bedroom).

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 05:46:49 AM »
Since BrokenKid's computer is on the wlan, judicious use of the old phone can sometimes terminate endless IM conversations between her and her friends (plus provide hours of amusement).  Of course, the cron job in the server that cuts off her interwebs at 10pm does a pretty good job of that, too.

That works unless they figure out how to connect to a neighbor's leaking, nonsecure wireless network.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 05:53:40 AM »

That works unless they figure out how to connect to a neighbor's leaking, nonsecure wireless network.

That's easy enough, lock down the wireless settings so the kid can't connect to any network but the home network.  Besides, the "unsecured leaky wifi" thing isn't that common around here.  NoVa being what it is, is populated by a lot of tech geeks.  From my house, I can see nearly a half dozen networks (those are the ones that filter through my faraday shield/aluminum siding), but none were unsecured last time I checked.  Even in SW Va ("hick" country") only 1 in 3 appear to be open.  People are getting smarter about Wi-Fi security.

Not sure how it would work with current systems, but NT 4.0 Server used to offer policy settings that would restrict a user's ability to log in based on time or day (makes sure they're not on at 0'dark thirty trying to circumvent your security settings).  You could say a specific user could only log in M-F 9-5, for example.  I'm sure newer systems have similar capabilities, but I've never looked into it.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 05:58:19 AM »
They're not secure here. Lots of my neighbors have completely unsecured wireless.

What's scarier is wandering in Boston with an iPod Touch, PDA or the like and seeing how many are totally unsecured.

A couple even allowed the network servers to be browsed from a Windows Mobile PDA, with a password of "default" or "admin". As in, files. Excel spreadsheets. For businesses.

How are people that stupid?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 07:03:10 AM »
I find the same thing as Chris.

I could, at one point, see 8 separate wireless setups (many of my neighbors went DSL, which came with a wireless modem).

Only one was unsecured. I traced it down to my neighbor 3 doors and and locked it down for her.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 07:06:57 AM »
Oh, yes, we have stupid sales reps, too. Any time they are here for a conference, a bunch of unsecured "Ad Hoc" networks appear. The IT people use a tracker to find whose laptop it is, and give them a stern lecture.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 03:57:46 PM »

If BK figures that out, I'll be impressed, given that the nearest house is 50 yards away over a hill, and the nearest one with LOS is 100 yards away through dense woods; I've never even seen another SSID out here.

I'm also not particularly in fear of BK's network savvy; there are wheels in her mind that squeak along fine, but the hamster in the "technology" wheel is dead.

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »
but the hamster in the "technology" wheel is dead.

-BP

LMAO!!  Sorry, that was funny.

Chris