Author Topic: technology for the win  (Read 1232 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
technology for the win
« on: January 15, 2014, 02:44:19 PM »
Technology says I must have voicemail.  OK, technology, lI'll have voicemail.  But I'll have it my way.

You have a new Voicemail message from: (800) 2-9802.

"'[skid] you're answering machine is in Spanish I don't know if you're aware of that when someone calls and it goes to Spanish mode. Anyway I'm Susan rner I am trying to give you a call in regards to the  service that you had requested information about two weeks ago. If you can assist with or help just give us a call there. If we can help you at this time let us know if not we'll take you from the computer system but we do need to know if we can help you or what the status is. My number is 1404662 1404662. Thank you sir."

If I wanted you to call me, Susan, I would have given you te number that I actually answer - most of the time.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: technology for the win
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »

For a couple years, folks complained that my voicemail was always full. I told them that was funny, because I checked it once a couple years ago and it was fine.

So, after three to five years of this, I fixed the problem. By deleting my voicemail functionality. Now, no one complains about my voicemail being full.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
Hah mine is "not set up"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:54:49 PM »
you're answering machine is in Spanish

Our family line answering machine loses the custom message everytime the power blinks, so it just defaults back to "Please leave your message at the tone."

Otherwise, I would record a greeting in Gaelic  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
Re:
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Oh my! If I set up my voice mail could I get you to record a greeting in gaelic? I wonder if gaelic triggers one of the surveillance programs?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »
Oh my! If I set up my voice mail could I get you to record a greeting in gaelic? I wonder if gaelic triggers one of the surveillance programs?

Next thing you know, you have been renditioned to the Brits who are asking you questions about that whole IRA gunrunning thing.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 05:25:18 PM »

I could write something out, but the phonetics are difficult.  And I would have to make it up myself so it might not be in the idiom that would actually be used for an answering machine by a native speaker.

Next thing you know, you have been renditioned to the Brits who are asking you questions about that whole IRA gunrunning thing.

Scottish Gaelic, so they would probably ban kilts and bagpipes all over again  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
Re:
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 05:50:29 PM »

that might be a problem. my family were republicans. as was my recently deceased friend.  he got talkative near the end i could probably clear up some 30 year old crimes in belfast and dublin and a couple in galway

Regolith

• friend
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:20 PM »
Beat me to it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.